The OFFICIAL Rifter 0.1 thread

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Lord Z
Hero
Comment: Court of Tarot author

Re: The OFFICIAL Rifter 0.1 thread

Unread post by Lord Z »

The time is right for CONTRIBUTOR COPIES! All contributors, please check your e-mail inboxes for a message from Rifter Zero@ live.com. A link will be contained within for accessing the downloadable files. The message should have been sent to every contributor, but it is almost inevitable that I missed someone. If I missed you or if you would prefer that I send you your copy on CD or flashdrive, please contact me immediately at that e-mail address.
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
-- Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned, 1913
Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

Unread post by Scott Gibbons »

So does this mean we'll soon be seeing the Rifter 0.1 for sale as well?
A wise man once said, "Only a fool takes offense where none was intended." I repeat this good advice to myself at least once a day.

Calm, reasoned discourse is the best way to change minds; too bad all the calm & reason in the world can't open a willfully closed mind.
zor_prime1
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by zor_prime1 »

Lord Z wrote:The time is right for CONTRIBUTOR COPIES! All contributors, please check your e-mail inboxes for a message from Rifter Zero@ live.com. A link will be contained within for accessing the downloadable files. The message should have been sent to every contributor, but it is almost inevitable that I missed someone. If I missed you or if you would prefer that I send you your copy on CD or flashdrive, please contact me immediately at that e-mail address.

Yay! It's done! Wohoo!
Thanks for the email Lord Z. Unfortunately the link says that the item doesn't exist. Am I the only one that's having this issue? If so, any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?
"I've been senile for as long as I can remember!" - I forget
Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

I had to play around with the link before I got it right. I sent an e-mail back to Lord Z about it, so hopefully he can send the fix on to anyone else having problems.

Been perusing the 0.1 for most of the evening - gotta say, there is some very cool stuff in there. Can't wait to dig into the point-based Megaversal article more, and the New Navy article rocks. Also interested to find out what people think of the Rifts novella.
A wise man once said, "Only a fool takes offense where none was intended." I repeat this good advice to myself at least once a day.

Calm, reasoned discourse is the best way to change minds; too bad all the calm & reason in the world can't open a willfully closed mind.
zor_prime1
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by zor_prime1 »

Involved Observer wrote:I had to play around with the link before I got it right. I sent an e-mail back to Lord Z about it, so hopefully he can send the fix on to anyone else having problems.

Been perusing the 0.1 for most of the evening - gotta say, there is some very cool stuff in there. Can't wait to dig into the point-based Megaversal article more, and the New Navy article rocks. Also interested to find out what people think of the Rifts novella.

That did it. Thanks for the idea. I removed the last bit after the "]" and it worked!

Now I have some good reading to get to. :-D
"I've been senile for as long as I can remember!" - I forget
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

THANK YOU LORD Z!!!!

It looks awesome. So very, very awesome. Dude, you doth rock hardeth. Verily, I say!

BTW, now we need a campaign to make the R0.1 available in POD. Seriously. DriveThru has the POD option and this could be PB's first POD offering.
krate
Explorer

Unread post by krate »

Thank you Lord Z and thanks to all the contributors! Can't wait to dig in! :D
Please visit my DeviantArt page http://krateworx.deviantart.com/
Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

Ok, so is it time to start barraging Wayne with e-mails and PMs about when it's going to officially be published? :D I really want 0.1 to start selling so that 1) Alex can get help meeting the medical and home repair bills he's accumulated over the last several months and 2) so my friends and family members can get this awesome product and see how awesome we all are!!!

Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Involved Observer wrote:Ok, so is it time to start barraging Wayne with e-mails and PMs about when it's going to officially be published?

Woot! Also, don't forget to ask for PB to set up the Rifter Zeros on Print on Demand (POD) via DriveThruRPG.Many people prefer dead tree and since PB doesn't have to front any money for the POD (just the customer), its an awesome way for the RZ to be "in print"!

Let the pestering begin! :D :D :D
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

Late last week, I called the Palladium Books office. I left a message for Wayne explaining that I had released the Contributor copies. I'll count that as a reminder that the product does exist.

Print on demand probably won't work with this particular product. A few of the files included are stuff like 3D models and huge banner artwork which just does not print well (or at all). Also, the page count is monstrous. I tell you what -- if the product turns out to be a hit, I might offer to set up a new version designed for P.o.D.

As for pestering Wayne, sure, go ahead. Now might actually be a good time to do it since he has had the files for a few months, Alex is back to work, and the convention season is over for PB. Wayne never has time on his hands, but now is better than most other times to press him with questions.
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Lord Z wrote:Also, the page count is monstrous. I tell you what -- if the product turns out to be a hit, I might offer to set up a new version designed for P.o.D.

What is total page count? What about it being printed as 2 books? How difficult would it be to remove the 3D models and banner art to make printing happen?

The problem with a later POD is that people might feel bummed they didn't have the options up front. Also, I think we can spur PB into offering OOP products as POD in the future if R.01 does nicely.
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

The page count is over 700. That includes both the full color and printer-friendly versions. If a PoD version were demanded, I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to redo the layouts and make a third version with select items included which would best suit the new medium. One of the complications is that the contributors agreed to give their creations under specific circumstances. A printed version was never part of the deal, and I wouldn't assume that all the contributors would agree to it. It would involve more than just a matter of cutting out a couple of files, but I could probably do it in two days.

So, has anyone tried calling, e-mailing, or facebooking the office yet about Rifter #0.1? The guys are probably sick and tired of hearing from me.

Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. I started this discussion over on the official PB page:

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic ... 9969099939

This is regarding the Rifter 0.1 project. If anyone is interested in it seeing print or want to know more about it, check out the topic. I also made a post on the wall. The more buzz the better!

For those without Facebook:
Greetings and Salutations! Rifter 0.1, heard of it? Know of it and interested in seeing it? The Rifter 0.1 is an entirely electronic Rifter in the same vein as the original Rifter 0 issue (available at DriveThruRPG). The Rifter 0.1 has the potential for a 700 pages including new material, stories, and mini-sourcebooks. Articles include Rifts, Palladium Fantasy, Heroes Unlimited, Ninjas & Superspies, Beyond the Supernatural, Splicers, After the Bomb, Mechanoids, Dead Reign, and more! If you'd like to see this product published, let Palladium know! Comment on it here or call in, or send them an e-mail. The important thing is ... let them know! Remember, your opinion counts.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

It's that time, folks. January has come and gone, and we still have received no word from the Palladium Office. We have not even been able to confirm whether Wayne received the paperwork or not last summer. The time has come to discuss how we are going to dismantle the project. Please post to the thread at Tank 9 or else send me a message to the Rifter 0 at live dot com e-mail address. I would very much like everyones input.

Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

No, idea where Tank 9 is as Google returned over 800 million hits. As for idea been in sever pain the last few hours, will get back when I can think straight.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Shawn Merrow wrote:No, idea where Tank 9 is as Google returned over 800 million hits. As for idea been in sever pain the last few hours, will get back when I can think straight.

Greetings and Salutations. The general site he's referring to can be found here:

http://www.nexusnine.net/

The forums found here:

http://forums.nexusnine.net/ikonboard.cgi?

The specific thread regarding this topic here:

http://forums.nexusnine.net/ikonboard.c ... &#entry129

As for the topic in general and how we are going to "dismantle" the project, I don't think that's an option any longer. The project, along with signed UMFs, has already been submitted to Palladium. To the best of my knowledge, that means at this point it is the property of Palladium (so to speak). Any attempt to "dismantle" the project and reclaim the works submitted would need to be cleared with Palladium. So more or less, you'll be going through what you're already going through to have it see print. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

My best suggestion at this time would be to let it slip from memory and maybe one day Palladium will let the work see the light of day. Anyways, that's my best suggestion. Hope some of that helps. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys to all.

Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Shawn Merrow

I'm rather sure Prysus is right that the UMF give Palladium Books control of the material till they release it. We could ask Wayne if the authors could submit their work to the regular Rifter.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

My questions is why are they dragging their feet on at letting Lord Z know what the hell is going on with this? IIRC this entire project is FINISHED. Not like anyone at PB actually has to do any work on it and no one can convince me that since this whole thing was submitted they have been completely and totally unable to let those on point know a yay or nay about the project. It just smells funny that it is languishing the way it is.....
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

I tried to respond on Tank Nine, but it said I could not register because the Admin had switched off registrations.

So here's my 2 cents:

I am confused.

When we launched R0.1 the folks at PB were on board and thought it was a good idea. Clearly, they are no longer interested in fan created PDFs, but I don't know why they won't say it. I am usually happy to give PB the benefit of the doubt and say give them time, but its been 6+ months. R0.1 is pure revenue even if it only sells a hundred copies in the next decade.

Sadly the message being sent inadvertantly is that PB fans should just be PB consumers and that is our desired role as a community. Not overly surprising as this is the general pre-internet, pre-social media view by traditional companies in regards to fandom. Sure, there were some 20th century examples that were different (aka, the Star Trek fanfic in the 1970s semi-"approved" by Paramount), but they are the rare exceptions.

So where does this leave us?

I don't know. I don't like the idea of just giving up and dismantling the project. I was excited about all of us working on another R0 project this year. But if an author wants to, they should just resubmit their work to Wayne for the regular Rifter.

Of course, we don't know how much work Wayne had to put into the original R0 and we have no idea how many have sold to date. Perhaps, the number of PDF sales from R0 do not make further efforts worthy on a time to dollar ratio. Who knows? Without exact figures, we are just guessing.

What are the rest of you crazy cats thinking?
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

The game has changed again! Kevin sent an e-mail to the Rifter Zero at live dot com address. I have forwarded it to all of the contributors (except for a very few without e-mail, I will be speaking with them personally).

jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Lord Z wrote:The game has changed again! Kevin sent an e-mail to the Rifter Zero at live dot com address. I have forwarded it to all of the contributors (except for a very few without e-mail, I will be speaking with them personally).

Does this mean it is going to be made available for purchase or not?
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

I don't think that the message was intended for public reading, so I am not comfortable discussing the specifics here. It seems more likely now than before that Palladium is in fact interested in releasing The Rifter #0.1 in some form.

jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Lord Z wrote:I don't think that the message was intended for public reading, so I am not comfortable discussing the specifics here. It seems more likely now than before that Palladium is in fact interested in releasing The Rifter #0.1 in some form.

Close enough answer for me :)

\m/
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

jaymz wrote:
Lord Z wrote:The game has changed again! Kevin sent an e-mail to the Rifter Zero at live dot com address. I have forwarded it to all of the contributors (except for a very few without e-mail, I will be speaking with them personally).

Does this mean it is going to be made available for purchase or not?

Greetings and Salutations. Still not a definitive answer but ...

UPDATE: The Rifter® #0.1 (PDF). I’m trying to get it back on track for release this Spring!

That's from today's Weekly Update (02-23-2012). Take that for what you will. I believe, but I know many have trust issues. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Shawn Merrow

The email was a nice piece of news to have waiting for me when I got home from the hospital. :ok:

Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

Shawn Merrow wrote:The email was a nice piece of news to have waiting for me when I got home from the hospital. :ok:

Everything ok? (Not trying to pry into your private life, just want to show concern & support.)

Shawn Merrow

Involved Observer wrote:
Shawn Merrow wrote:The email was a nice piece of news to have waiting for me when I got home from the hospital. :ok:

Everything ok? (Not trying to pry into your private life, just want to show concern & support.)

Went to RadCon (17-19) and got the norovirus as a nasty souvenir, stuck me in the hospital for three days and still sick. :badbad:

Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

Shawn, you look good, and that's what's important!

Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

Shawn Merrow wrote:
Involved Observer wrote:

Went to RadCon (17-19) and got the norovirus as a nasty souvenir, stuck me in the hospital for three days and still sick. :badbad:

Just goes to prove that even the lowest forms of life love PB's freelancers! (wait, maybe that didn't come out right...) :lol:

Shawn Merrow

Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

I just spoke with Wayne. Julius is proofreading the documents for us to catch as many errors as possible. Because Julius has already started doing this, there will be NO further tweaking of the materials -- the only changes will be making corrections.

1 -- Here is what needs to be done. All of the recycled artwork from previous Palladium products needs to be cut. It was my decision to include these pieces in the first place, so I don't mind editing these out.

2 -- Kevin wants the product divided into two parts. That means redoing the layouts (sucks to be me). Wayne wants us to combine these into as few files as possible. This is done for ease on his end as well as lowering the total data size of each download. So, the printer friendly versions of each file are getting axed.

3 -- We need to designate or create some new cover artwork. We will need a second cover for #0.2. We will also need a new cover for the novella, Acceptance.

4 -- We will be correcting all mistakes that Julius finds.

5 -- I will try to add internal hyperlinks between the tables of contents and the actual articles. My wife will show me how to do this.

jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

@Lord Z - Awesome. I look forward to buying it/them :)

\m/
Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

Dang it, I liked that cover for my novella. <sigh> Oh well. Can't wait to see what the new cover looks like.

Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

Last night, Wayne sent us this message:

Hey, Scott.

Don't spend any of your time on splitting the Rifts #0.1 into two
parts at the moment. I just tallied up all the material I have and it
comes out to over 700 pages. Most likely, we'll want to spin off
things like Boxed Nightmares 2 and Anthropology 101 into separate
books, and split what's left into some number of Rifter #0.x volumes.
We'll try to get this sorted out in a couple of weeks, after we're
done with Lemuria. In the meantime, Julius will be proofreading the
material, and we'll figure out the best way to get those corrections done.

Wayne Smith
Palladium Books

Okay, we won't do anything until we hear from Julius. Also, Krate and I have been discussing our options for cover art as needed.

Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

Here is an update for April. The current plan is to wait for Julius to finish reading the material we have (poor guy), and then lay out the product again. In addition to whatever changes Julius wants, we will be cutting out all of the recycled artwork from out-of-print Palladium products and dividing the project into two products, Issues #0.1 and #0.2. It's too late to submit or change any text, but we can take on new artwork submissions at this time. We have discovered some fresh new artwork for the cover of #0.2 by our own Zack.

By the way, Kevin did mention the Rifter Zeroes in his last Murmur. He wrote that so much material went into Rifter Zero that PB needs more material for the regular print issues of The Rifter.

Any questions?

Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

Oh yeah -- we are also looking for some cover art for the Rifts Novella, Acceptance. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Shawn Merrow

Glad to see things moving forward. I hope they like what I did.

Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

Thanks Shawn!

I am not expecting to hear from Julius until after the Open House, but this is just my own personal hunch.

Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

700 pages!!!

That's freaking awesome. Congrats again everybody.
Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

FYI: At the POH Julius gave me his feedback document for my novella. It was typed up on a single page and was really good. I could tell he'd taken the time to read it, not just skimmed through it. No wonder its taking the poor guy so long to get through it all!

Just figured that people might like confirmation thar R0.1 is indeed being worked on.

Shawn Merrow

Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

This update is much appreciated, IO. Thanks go out to both you and Julius.

Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. For those that didn't know, Kevin was recently on the Gateway to the Megaverse podcast. On the show, he was asked questions (about 30 minutes of which was questions focused on the Rifter). One of the questions included the Rifter 0.1 project. While some of us can repeat first hand or second hand stories, I thought some might like to hear Kevin address it in his words for any curious to hear.

This was Season 2, Episode 1 and titled: "EPISODES2E1 - New Beginnings and a Chat with Kevin" A link can be found below, as well as the time stamps to which segments mention the Rifter 0.1 project.

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/ta ... 867&cmd=tc

49 minute mark (Rifter 0.1 for about 4 minutes of talk)
55 minute 30 second mark (mentioned again in passing)
1 hour 15 minute mark (mentioned again in passing)

The last two are just mentioned briefly (nothing in depth). Anyways, that's all for now. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

Thank you for the link, Prysus. I wasn't even aware that there was a new episode of Gateway. Kevin also mentioned 0.1 and 0.2 in the last Weekly Update, only saying that these products were in production. Go Julius, go!

Shawn Merrow

Palladium Books® Weekly Update – June 21, 2012

We are also continuing to move forward with plans for the PDF only editions of The Rifter® #0.1 and The Rifter® #0.2 – both are big, juicy digital editions of new, fan created material for the Palladium Megaverse® of games.

Nice :D

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

WEEKLY UPDATE - 2012-07-05 12:17:
UPDATE: Available on DriveThruRPG.com

As soon as we can do one, we’ll be making a FREE Sneak Preview of Rifts® Black Market available. That might be as soon as the end of next week. Many back issues of The Rifter® are available on DriveThruRPG.com (issues #1-52), as are more than 90 out of print titles such as Rifts®, BTS™ and Palladium Fantasy® first edition rule books and sourcebooks. A sneak preview of Rifts® Vampires Sourcebook and should also be coming soon. We plan to add a few more items in the coming months that should please Palladium gamers. We are also planning to move forward with PDF only editions of The Rifter® #0.1 and The Rifter® #0.2 – both are big, juicy digital editions of new, fan created material for the Palladium Megaverse® of games.

Don’t forget, DriveThruRPG.com also offers the Rifts® and Palladium Fantasy® Game Master Kits (both written by Carl Gleba and complete with maps, combat matrix, character sheets, spell list, and 20 pre-rolled characters created by Julius Rosenstein; $5 each). Of course, there are FREE Sneak Previews of Endless Dead™, Rifts® Lemuria, Rifts® Vampire Kingdoms™, and Thundercloud Galaxy™, as well as 90+ out of print titles, including back issues of The Rifter®, and first edition rule books for Rifts®, Palladium Fantasy RPG®, Heroes Unlimited™, The Mechanoid Invasion® Trilogy, and lots of other good things. ALL available as PDF downloads at reasonable prices. And there is MORE to come.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Any news?
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Spinachcat wrote:Any news?

Greetings and Salutations. Palladium continues to mention it in the weekly updates (same as in the post quoted above by glitterboy2098), but nothing newer than that yet. There was a lot of material there, and that would take time to go through. Now, I know it's been a while, but thinking about the situation I don't expect to see it until at least next year. Wayne needs to do his normal duties, which includes the quarterly Rifter release. Kevin needs to focus on the release of other books. I fear that this project isn't the highest priority right now. I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic. I'll be shocked if we see it before the two Northern Gun books. It's still nice to see it the Weekly Updates as a reminder that Palladium hasn't forgotten about it yet. Anyways, that's all for now. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Return to “The Rifter® Zero.x.x Project”