Multiple Beings/Selves and Possession

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

PapaMambo
Dungeon Crawler
Location: Winter-peg.. or Winnipeg for those not in the know..

Multiple Beings/Selves and Possession

Unread post by PapaMambo »

Can these 2 powers be used in conjunction with each other? I'm dreaming up an NPC villain named Legion that can create copies of himself and then possess others. I can't see an issue with the combo as the copies would have the possession power but are unable to create more copies.

Just figured a serial killer who could possess others to do his bidding is terrifying.
"It isn't the bullet with his name on it that the professional soldier has to fear. It's all those addressed 'To Whom it May Concern'" - Anonymous
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Re: Multiple Beings/Selves and Possession

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

The main problem with that combo is how Transferal/Possession leaves the user's body in a "sleep-like trance", while having a range of only 30'+10'/level. It looks like it's left ambiguous as to if that range only applies to the initial possession or is a requirement for the duration of the possession. The next paragraph assumes the latter.

The character also having access to the Shrink(mass reduces) superpower so that the multi has the possessed target carry around their body is probably the most straightforward workaround. I'd argue the power Dimensional Room (but not the power Dimensional Pocket) would also work. Most of the similar effects in psionics (Mentally Possess Others), magic (Reduce Self, Domination, any spells which make copies), or other superpowers (Merge Bio-Mass) have some shortcoming such that they can't be swapped in. The spell Dimensional Envelope (but not the spell Dimensional Pocket, either) is about as feasible as the Dimensional Room power, as is having the multi first possess a Soul Gem/Soul Crystal which the target would carry around instead of the multi's body.

In any case the body still requires tending. This can be delayed via powers/psionics/magic, but I'm unsure of an easy way to remove the need entirely. A Mega Hero with the Mega Powers Doesn't need air to breathe and Doesn't need to eat or drink for nourishment could probably swing it. Otherwise eventually the possessed body would have to be commanded to restrain itself in some way while the possessor switches back and takes care of bodily needs. Having each possessor multi possess a Soulmancy Soul Crystal seems like the most efficient approach, simply because then all the multis' bodies could be stored together somewhere like a medical facility or Blood Pool. Another advantage would be that if the possessor gets exorcised or otherwise kicked out of the possessee there is a chance the consciousness could return to the safely stored body.

I'm sure there's something I'm forgetting which might tighten things up a little more.
Mr Scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Multiple Beings/Selves and Possession

Unread post by Mr Scorpio »

PapaMambo wrote:Can these 2 powers be used in conjunction with each other? I'm dreaming up an NPC villain named Legion that can create copies of himself and then possess others. I can't see an issue with the combo as the copies would have the possession power but are unable to create more copies.

Just figured a serial killer who could possess others to do his bidding is terrifying.

I don't see a problem with the combo. If the character can make 2 or 3 duplicates then there will be someone to move their body to a safe place and watch over it.

A serial killer with the Transferal/Possession power is a frightening scenario on it's own. A serial killer with Multiple Beings/Selves always has the perfect alibi. Having both would make it VERY hard to find track them down assuming that you could even figure out what was happening.

At higher levels the character could potentially take over a small super group and cause a LOT of trouble for them and everyone else in town. The group wakes up to find that they are being hunted by the police and have no memory of what happened. Not the fun Hangover movie kind of way either.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”