Nanobot Swarm Questions for the GMs [Robot Mega Hero]

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

syntheticlife4m
D-Bee

Nanobot Swarm Questions for the GMs [Robot Mega Hero]

Unread post by syntheticlife4m »

So I was wondering for the various GMs out there, if I had a Nanobot Swarm character (from Rifter #37), which is a Mega-Hero option for Robot power categories...

If the robot possessed the skills to program robotics, could it reprogram its own nanites to instead of just repair itself, upgrade itself by assimilating technology, such as sensors and weapons? Any possible penalties for a failed skill check or would it not matter since it would just be done with a nanite micro-bot first versus the entire body. What about shape-change, despite not having taken that Mega-Hero ability?

If a nanobot swarm has the Mechano-Link ability, after they remove themselves from the bonded machine, would the robot still retain all the inner workings of the blueprints, schematics, and etc. since its a robot, and should be all means have some form of total memory?
Orin J.
Adventurer

Re: Nanobot Swarm Questions for the GMs [Robot Mega Hero]

Unread post by Orin J. »

i have no idea what you're talking about, but as far as memory i can tell you no robot would retain any memories of something like system blueprints unless you deliberately included "analyze and record the structural design" as part of the program. just because a computer is performing a function doesn't mean it as any idea what the function IS. they're just tellin' this servo to rotate.
syntheticlife4m
D-Bee

Unread post by syntheticlife4m »

Well we're talking artificial intelligence, so since it can think and have memories it should be able to have something like total memory, made at least as a purchase option?
fb.com/thepalladiummegaverse
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

Aliens Unlimited Galaxy Guide talks about incorporating upgrades and skill programs, which at least allows for the possiblity of the idea for a Nanobot Hive, particularly since the basic skill programs are insufficient to cover all the engineering required. Unfortunately AUGG doesn't really give specifics on adding skill programs. Rifts Sourcebook 1 has rules on that along with a revamped version of the robot construction rules in HU, so that book might also warrant a look. There are additional robot skill programs in the Rifts Triax books. With those bottlenecks dealt with I'd say incorporating sensors, weapons, and the like shouldn't be a problem, although I'd keep a soft limit on total mass of the robot just to avoid a gray goo situation. It's possible there's some Rifter errata on robot skill programs I'm not remembering, of course.

In that Shape Shifting is listed as a mega power, it should be required in order to acheive many of those sorts of effects. Assimilating an extra pair of arms into a master configuration is one thing, but anything involving disguise is another. Similarly, mechano link could provide a copy of schematics for a device provided those were in onboard storage on the device, but wouldn't be gained otherwise.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”