Hardware unlimited what happen to it??

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

hinomaru
Megaversal® Ambassador

Hardware unlimited what happen to it??

Unread post by hinomaru »

I still have the book that advertise it over 17 years ago mmm i know it doesn't take that long to make....
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Hardware unlimited what happen to it??

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

there was a preview document at the 2015 PB open house.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

hinomaru wrote:I still have the book that advertise it over 17 years ago mmm i know it doesn't take that long to make....
That version was by a different user who had submitted it. Palladium decided to go a different route. Fast forward several years and several other projects and we get to the present. Just a few weeks ago at the Palladium Books Open House, a 306 page manuscript was submitted to Kevin Siembieda [and a copy was given to me as well]. Greg Diaczyk is the writer on this one. Over the past year, I was fortunate enough to be able to give Greg some feedback and suggestions, some of which made it in.

Here is a teaser of sorts:

As a further teaser though here is a revised synopsis for the game, some of the stuff got changed around :D enjoy!

Hardware Unlimited™
A sourcebook for Heroes Unlimited™
The much anticipated accessories book for any crime fighter, vigilante and super hero. A comprehensive catalogue of the standard fair of super hero gear from grappling hooks, super sleuthing gear, to body armor, weapons and accessories only a super hero would need. The secret hero support organization known as Unlimited provides custom equipment and super suits to their heroic clients as well as offers emergency medical response and road side assistance to its clients and their custom super vehicles.

• New Hardware Power Categories: Hacker, Driving Ace, Chemical Genius and Robotics Genius as well as some minor revisions and updates to clarify the four existing Hardware Power Categories.
• Revised and Updated Power Categories: Super Sleuth, Robot Pilot
• New Power Categories: The Mad Scientist and Techno-Illusionist (a Mega-Hero upgrade for the Stage Magician)
Unlimited , a Hardware Organization that builds custom costumes, gear, technologically gear that upgrades super powers, vehicles and Hero Headquarters (a good guy version of Fabricator Inc.)
• A huge catalogue of useful low tech and high tech gear for every type of super hero, from the normal human vigilante to the power packed mutant. All accessories to be “timeline appropriate” and easily adjusted whether you want to run a game in 1980 or 2080.
• New Robotic Systems
• Custom Vehicle Creation Rules for Land, Sea and Air Vehicles.
• Advice on how to run equipment based games and hero dependency on gadgets (instead of powers)
• Expanded Mega-Heroes (An updated version of my Rifter # 37 article)
• Secret Base Creation Rules (An updated version of my Rifter #37 article)
• New Skill programs to reflect "non-Hardware" characters trying to be Hardware Characters such as a Mutant with Telemechanics or Mechano-Link.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Armorlord
Hero

Unread post by Armorlord »

Neat, and Rifter #37 is one of my most referenced Rifters. I use the Dual-Class Hero as a guideline for combinations in other settings as well, because sometimes the Body Fixer ends up surviving as a full-conversion borg and wants to continue being a doctor.
Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience. -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
It's not impossible, it's just really unfair. :( -Trance Gemini (Andromeda)
Tarnow and Romanov: Neighbors!

Politeness is not a shield, and criticism is not a sword to swing repeatedly.
Razorwing
Hero

Unread post by Razorwing »

This gives us a much better idea of just how similar and yet different Unlimited will be in comparison to Fabricators Inc.
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

NMI wrote:...• Custom Vehicle Creation Rules for Land, Sea and Air Vehicles...

I hope they're similar to the starship construction rules in AUGG.
Grammarsalad
D-Bee

Unread post by Grammarsalad »

NMI wrote:
hinomaru wrote:I still have the book that advertise it over 17 years ago mmm i know it doesn't take that long to make....
That version was by a different user who had submitted it. Palladium decided to go a different route. Fast forward several years and several other projects and we get to the present. Just a few weeks ago at the Palladium Books Open House, a 306 page manuscript was submitted to Kevin Siembieda [and a copy was given to me as well]. Greg Diaczyk is the writer on this one. Over the past year, I was fortunate enough to be able to give Greg some feedback and suggestions, some of which made it in.

As a further teaser though here is a revised synopsis for the game, some of the stuff got changed around :D enjoy!

Hardware Unlimited™
The much anticipated accessories book for any crime fighter, vigilante and super hero. A comprehensive catalogue of the standard fair of super hero gear from grappling hooks, super sleuthing gear, to body armor, weapons and accessories only a super hero would need. The secret hero support organization known as Unlimited provides custom equipment and super suits to their heroic clients as well as offers emergency medical response and road side assistance to its clients and their custom super vehicles.

• New Hardware Power Categories: Hacker, Driving Ace, Chemical Genius and Robotics Genius as well as some minor revisions and updates to clarify the four existing Hardware Power Categories.
• New Power Categories: The Mad Scientist and Techno-Illusionist (a Mega-Hero upgrade for the Stage Magician)
Unlimited , a Hardware Organization that builds custom costumes, gear, technologically gear that upgrades super powers, vehicles and Hero Headquarters (a good guy version of Fabricator Inc.)
• A huge catalogue of useful low tech and high tech gear for every type of super hero, from the normal human vigilante to the power packed mutant. All accessories to be “timeline appropriate” and easily adjusted whether you want to run a game in 1980 or 2080.
• New Robotic Systems
• Advice on how to run equipment based games and hero dependency on gadgets (instead of powers)
• New Skill programs to reflect "non-Hardware" characters trying to be Hardware Characters such as a Mutant with Telemechanics or Mechano-Link.

Any further updates? *puppy eyes*
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Grammarsalad wrote:
NMI wrote:

Hardware Unlimited™

• New Robotic Systems

Any further updates? *puppy eyes*
I brought it up to Kevin recently. I cannot say where in the pipeline it is.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Sambot
Adventurer

Unread post by Sambot »

The teaser sounds great! I hope it gets printed.
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

At the last Open House (2022) Greg said he's not allowed speak or mention anything about Hardware Unlimited. He wasn't allowed to share anything
with us fellow freelancers. So not sure what's up.
Grammarsalad
D-Bee

Sambot wrote:The teaser sounds great! I hope it gets printed.

Right? Lol, I want it as much for Ninjas and Superspies as HU. It's been a minute since anything was released for that
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

I've only wanted this book since I first got HU.... maybe, please... I am OK with houseruling everything (because that's what good GMs do!) but I really would like some benchmarks from KS and gang... especially about vehicles... that weren't made in the 80's.

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Grammarsalad
D-Bee

Just got the Rifter #85 at drivethrurpg. According to "from the desk of KS" they have a new policy of not announcing new books until the manuscript is approved. So, I suppose that this means only that no manuscript has been approved. So, maybe, there is still hope
matt.reed
Wanderer
Comment: wrote several power cat updates for the Rifter, and Cascade
guidesmegaverse.podbean.com

Unread post by matt.reed »

I think it also comes down to 'how much draw is there for it?' Let us assume that Palladium is not in good shape. I don't know either way if it is or not but lets assume a worse case scenario. Is there enough of a draw for a book focusing on this subset of Heroes Unlimited? The Powers Unlimited books did well enough to get three, but I would assume that new super powers are more of a draw than new tech, but that is an assumption.

Its also why I doubt the Dark City of Cascade could get published as a book, because how much draw would there be for a setting designed just for low powered heroes?
Grammarsalad
D-Bee

matt.reed wrote:I think it also comes down to 'how much draw is there for it?' Let us assume that Palladium is not in good shape. I don't know either way if it is or not but lets assume a worse case scenario. Is there enough of a draw for a book focusing on this subset of Heroes Unlimited? The Powers Unlimited books did well enough to get three, but I would assume that new super powers are more of a draw than new tech, but that is an assumption.

Its also why I doubt the Dark City of Cascade could get published as a book, because how much draw would there be for a setting designed just for low powered heroes?

In the most recent weekly update, KS says that sales are up (likely due to the ogl stuff).

This seems like the time to release it.

Also, what's Dark City? That sounds like exactly my jam.

Edit: honestly, there has to be a market for it. Some of the most popular comics are relatively "low powered". Spiderman, the Punisher, BATMAN.

Edit2: also, if they are especially concerned about sales, they could release the more "risky" stuff as pdf exclusive. I know I would gladly buy Hardware Unlimited (or Training unlimited) from drivethrurpg.

Anyway, that way there would be less overhead. And, they could always release physical books for the more popular titles

It would (seemingly) be a good way to test the waters
matt.reed
Wanderer
Comment: wrote several power cat updates for the Rifter, and Cascade
guidesmegaverse.podbean.com

Unread post by matt.reed »

Grammarsalad wrote:Also, what's Dark City? That sounds like exactly my jam.

Edit: honestly, there has to be a market for it. Some of the most popular comics are relatively "low powered". Spiderman, the Punisher, BATMAN.

Edit2: also, if they are especially concerned about sales, they could release the more "risky" stuff as pdf exclusive. I know I would gladly buy Hardware Unlimited (or Training unlimited) from drivethrurpg.

Anyway, that way there would be less overhead. And, they could always release physical books for the more popular titles

It would (seemingly) be a good way to test the waters

Rifter 84 good sir. my cape and cowl Gotham to Century Station's Metropolis. Originally an idea by Erick Wujcik that unfortunately never saw creation.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

It seems like Hardware Unlimited was officially cancelled in 2015. :(
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Grammarsalad
D-Bee

Glistam wrote:It seems like Hardware Unlimited was officially cancelled in 2015. :(

Yeah, and given the most recent weekly update, it's safe to assume the project is dead in the water:

"Officially Canceled: These projects aren’t going to happen. I know that isn’t fun to hear, but it’s the truth. In many cases, there was initially an exciting kernel of an idea but it ended up canceled for any number of reasons as I discussed above. If there was a manuscript submitted, we don’t think it is salvageable. Please come to peace with it. I genuinely hope this listing helps you find some closure."

I do appreciate the honestly, but I'm very disappointed. Very few of those upcoming projects interest me. Three BtS stuff looks cool, I guess.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Grammarsalad wrote:
Glistam wrote:It seems like Hardware Unlimited was officially cancelled in 2015. :(

Yeah, and given the most recent weekly update, it's safe to assume the project is dead in the water:

"Officially Canceled: These projects aren’t going to happen. I know that isn’t fun to hear, but it’s the truth. In many cases, there was initially an exciting kernel of an idea but it ended up canceled for any number of reasons as I discussed above. If there was a manuscript submitted, we don’t think it is salvageable. Please come to peace with it. I genuinely hope this listing helps you find some closure."

I do appreciate the honestly, but I'm very disappointed. Very few of those upcoming projects interest me. Three BtS stuff looks cool, I guess.

At least Atorian Empire is still a possibility!!!
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Until they announce in 2025 that it was cancelled in 2012...

Grammarsalad
D-Bee

NMI wrote:
Grammarsalad wrote:

I see that. That's related to aliens unlimited, isn't it? I'll have to go back and read that. It's been years since I flipped through aliens unlimited (aliens aren't a thing in my setting. The only aliens are Cthulhu like creatures with unfathomable and/or horrible intentions).
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Grammarsalad wrote:
NMI wrote:At least Atorian Empire is still a possibility!!!

I see that. That's related to aliens unlimited, isn't it? I'll have to go back and read that. It's been years since I flipped through aliens unlimited (aliens aren't a thing in my setting. The only aliens are Cthulhu like creatures with unfathomable and/or horrible intentions).

Aliens Unlimited [1st and 2nd edition printings]
Galaxy Guide

I am blessed enough to have a copy of the original manuscrupt for Atorian Empire from the author himself. Unfortunately, due to NDA, I cannot share it :D
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Glistam wrote:Until they announce in 2025 that it was cancelled in 2012...

There was a version that was at the POH 2018 that Greg D. was passing around to get a petition signed. The games he ran that year were based off his manuscript. So the newer version is lingering somewhere between Greg's desk and the printer, probably on Kevin's desk in the file of things to authorize after his current pet project of the year is done.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Zer0 Kay wrote:

There was a version that was at the POH 2018 that Greg D. was passing around to get a petition signed. The games he ran that year were based off his manuscript. So the newer version is lingering somewhere between Greg's desk and the printer, probably on Kevin's desk in the file of things to authorize after his current pet project of the year is done.
It is a good read!
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Zer0 Kay wrote:

Yes, but apparently it was cancelled in 2015. Either "the manuscript was never finished or was not suitable for publication"

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Glistam wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

Yes, but apparently it was cancelled in 2015. Either "the manuscript was never finished or was not suitable for publication"

I don't think Greg was the original author or maybe his petition was to get it unconcerned. But what I read was complete.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Glistam wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

I don't think Greg was the original author or maybe his petition was to get it unconcerned. But what I read was complete.

Gregs document was indeed complete along with a complete adventure.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

NMI wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Glistam wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

Ah, wonder if we played in the game together.

Was he the original author? Or did he take it on after it was cancelled?
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
NMI wrote:Gregs document was indeed complete along with a complete adventure.

He was sole, original author of that version of Hardware Unlimited.
Others, including Brent Lein [sp?] had turned in their own versions of the project. All versions that I have seen are unique to themselves and not influenced by previous editions.

I may have played in the same game as you.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

NMI wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

Others, including Brent Lein [sp?] had turned in their own versions of the project. All versions that I have seen are unique to themselves and not influenced by previous editions.

Oh, I wasn't trying to say it like that. I was wondering if Greg wrote the one that was cancelled or if it was someone else's work and then he just wrote the new one that was at POH 2018 or if that was an older version.
Grammarsalad
D-Bee

I am so envious of you guys...
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
NMI wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

Oh, I wasn't trying to say it like that. I was wondering if Greg wrote the one that was cancelled or if it was someone else's work and then he just wrote the new one that was at POH 2018 or if that was an older version.

No one else had a hand in the origin of the version seen at the Open House.
thorinteague
D-Bee

Unread post by thorinteague »

I was wondering if someone was working on something of this nature. The most recent "modern" gear list in a palladium publication, that I am aware of, was published in 1999.

I have a folder of research I've been accumulating for a few weeks. I am updating this folder periodically so if you're you find it useful, check back every once in a while. This is mostly just me dumping PDFs into a folder. Ideas about current cutting edge gear.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... WPOhJDJbvX
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

NMI wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Glistam wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

Well it's unfortunate then that Palladium considers it "not suitable for publication," then. At least Greg can still run his fun adventures based on it. I played in one of his adventures once and had a lot of fun, and I was looking forward to seeing the full rules eventually. Lord knows the game could use them.

The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

NMI wrote:
Grammarsalad wrote:

I suspect that book has the same chances as a Hardware Unlimited book does at this point.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

The Beast wrote:

I suspect that book has the same chances as a Hardware Unlimited book does at this point.
It is no secret that I have a copy of the manuscript that Wayne Breaux turned in. I ran it a few times at the Open House over the years. It is great AND, every so often, I remind Kevin about it. My emails to Kevin have "All hail the Atorian Empire" in the signature. I assure you, he will NOT be allowed to forget about it. LOL
Grammarsalad
D-Bee

NMI wrote:
The Beast wrote:

It is no secret that I have a copy of the manuscript that Wayne Breaux turned in. I ran it a few times at the Open House over the years. It is great AND, every so often, I remind Kevin about it. My emails to Kevin have "All hail the Atorian Empire" in the signature. I assure you, he will NOT be allowed to forget about it. LOL

Appreciated :ok:
thorinteague
D-Bee

Unread post by thorinteague »

NMI wrote:
The Beast wrote:

Everything I get into I always want to contribute. It's in my blood I guess....

I saw a recent interview with KS and it talked about how looking at submissions for ideas can actually expose Palladium (or whatever publisher) to legal liability. Man, that's so freaking depressing for me. I would love to just throw stuff out there for whoever likes it, and KS could make all the money on the planet off my ideas, I'd be gratified. I guess we just don't live in that world. :-?

I really want to have fresh take in modern settings and I'd also like to participate in it if it were possible. :crane: :fool:
Sambot
Adventurer

Unread post by Sambot »

thorinteague wrote:
NMI wrote:
The Beast wrote:

Everything I get into I always want to contribute. It's in my blood I guess....

I saw a recent interview with KS and it talked about how looking at submissions for ideas can actually expose Palladium (or whatever publisher) to legal liability. Man, that's so freaking depressing for me. I would love to just throw stuff out there for whoever likes it, and KS could make all the money on the planet off my ideas, I'd be gratified. I guess we just don't live in that world. :-?

I really want to have fresh take in modern settings and I'd also like to participate in it if it were possible. :crane: :fool:

It's sad but understandable. You could always try submitting to the Rifter or having your own website. Or both.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”