Horror Factor

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

Horror Factor

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I don't care for this aspect of the game. It doesn't take into account the character's background or experience into account. For example, if you have the spell Screaming Wall of Flame, would you be frightened by it when someone else casts it? If someone in your group has that spell, would it scare you, even if you're warned? What if they show it to you first? Since mages aren't necessarily immune to the effects of their own spells, would a Warlock have to save against it's own spell?

How many times does soemone have to see a Wolfen before they are no longer having to overcome a HR of 12?

-Vek
"Does anyone use this functionally or just ignore it?"
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Horror Factor

Unread post by Kraynic »

I tend to use horror factor on first or surprise encounters with something. After that, it depends on in-game history and encounters. If a character was killed by an alu demon and resurrected, they are likely to have trouble with alu demons and maybe anything of at all similar form (which could include wolfen if the character is of a canine race). Basically, initial encounters and trauma based reactions is what I use it for.

I haven't done it yet, but I keep meaning to try incorporating ideas from Rifter 48 (reputation, environment, supernatural, and other modifiers for HF and reactions) into my games. I haven't started anything new recently though. With that sort of change, I like to have it in from the start rather than springing it on players during the course of a game.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

I play the horror factor as the base for surprise checks, with modifiers, and when the HF gets over 20 you have to make a HF check to interact with said thing like attack, speak too etc and that is qithout surprise being needed. If you fail the horror check you are broken and run away until you can make a morale check and if you make it you are now classed as shaken, otherwise you are still broken and keep running.
You can also make another morale check when shaken to remove the shaken condition, but this usually needs intervention from a 3rd party.

One of the special abilities my modified OCC Bard (and others) has is the ability to get people to make morale checks with one of his own actions.

So a wolfens HF wouldn't come into play unless there was a surprise situation, or modifiers got it to over 20 (Deformities, extra large, on unholy ground, in the dark, with fog, makes scary noises)
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I've never been a real fan of Horror Factor. It's one of those things that got tacked on, later in the system and, while BTS is 30+ years ago, it still hasn't really been integrated into the system. Like, ME doesn't canonically protect against horror factor, because it was added after the system was codified and never really updated.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. I was hoping to give a detailed response to this thread, but looks like it'll be a long weekend (with two medical issues that have arisen for those around me). But I have some downtime with my phone in hand so ...

I don't generally use Horror Factor much in my games, but try to use it when thematically appropriately.

With that said, I wrote some expanded Horror Factor rules a while back: http://www.prysus.com/horror_factor_expanded.htm

The basic concept is there are 3 different types of Horror Factor: Mortal, Magical, and Supernatural. Mortal Horror Factor, such as Wolfen, can be prepared for and, if you're expecting it, can be ignored.

Magical Horror Factor is magical. Whether or not you're prepared, this is the effect is like saving from a magical spell. So you can't ignore it, only save against it.

Supernatural Horror Factor is an aura. Like magic, it can only be saved against, and then there's some additional rules for how Supernatural Beings will interact with each other based on Horror Factor.

Then there are additional rules for modifiers, group Horror Factor, and multiple Horror Factors (from different types, not a single group/type).

Hope some of that helps. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

I add some common sense to the horror factor rule.

For example on eof the players has armour bizarre (Rifts) which has a HF so every time he uses it I let the players who saw it have an additional +1 to save.

The backstories are important too - if my family was murdered by Wolfen I might be even more frightened and I might be at -2 to save or similar.

I like a HF roll but using it is something that we play fairly loosely - maybe first 2-3 time you see the same type of creature, or if you know a lot about that species you are frightened less (or more).
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Veknironth wrote:Well, I don't care for this aspect of the game. It doesn't take into account the character's background or experience into account. For example, if you have the spell Screaming Wall of Flame, would you be frightened by it when someone else casts it? If someone in your group has that spell, would it scare you, even if you're warned? What if they show it to you first? Since mages aren't necessarily immune to the effects of their own spells, would a Warlock have to save against its own spell?

How many times does someone have to see a Wolfen before they are no longer having to overcome a HR of 12?

-Vek
"Does anyone use this functionally or just ignore it?"

All of the above questions are answer by each GM for their games.

Wall of flame....if it is coming at you from the one you're fighting you're going to be afraid of it, cause it is coming at you.

Yes, even if warned the sudden appearance of a WoF can be startling. Even if you've experienced it in several fights with your party.

A being's HF is a measure of how easily that being's presence will startled people. A GM will be able to adjust this from character to character and time to time, to make the story flow according to the character's exp. with that particular being or that sort of being.

So there would be a few types of modifier charts that would modify the HF score: how common the event happens to the char, timing of the appearance, the type of reasons why the event is startling (say wolfen it is just their appearance/looks that are startling, or is it the numbers encounted, or is it an supernatural arua that is the cause like with dragons, gods and demons.)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”