High Level Games

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

mwatts.army
Newb

High Level Games

Unread post by mwatts.army »

Was wondering what everyone does for running games with very high level characters? I know lots of people do not like running games that involve godhood but it is kinda my thing.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: High Level Games

Unread post by kiralon »

I make lots and lots of changes.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

I play Rifts...
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

mwatts.army wrote:Was wondering what everyone does for running games with very high level characters? I know lots of people do not like running games that involve godhood but it is kinda my thing.

High level antagonists and villains. In my experience that is all it takes. You hit level 12 and you are basically a demigod, then your villains need to be at that level.

No more goblins and wolfen raiders, break out the dragons. Forget slavers, it's time for some major demons to wander south from the great rift.

There are plenty of things in the books that can take on high level, even godling level, PC's just use them.

This isn't just combat either. If the players need to find an object or person that is truly powerful then they can't just bully a shop keeper into telling them where it is. Maybe the only people who know are a group of high level sphinxes. Just bring in powerful beings and high level antagonists at every encounter.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

You might want to test combat to test for the weaknesses you don't like. In the Games I have been involved with, the fighter type classes tend to take a long time because of the number of attacks they get, so the casters attentions tend to wander.
Also try to think how you will deal with mass combat because that will tend to happen as well.
Rogerd
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Rogerd »

Switch to Heroes Unlimited?

At this point the Monk should be looking at becoming an Ancient master, or a Shih; while the Soldier, or Archer would be pushing to Weapons Master.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

If ya want i can send through the changes i made, cause all i can say is once i got to level 7+ as a caster combat was boring as hell for the 90 seconds i was doing something compared to the 15 minutes the fighters were per round.
It mostly comes down to try not to let the players get more than 4 attacks per round, because it slows down things sooooooooo much.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

It can be fun to upgrade the baddies. A low level group takes on a group of 1-3rd level goblin raiders with basic gear, but their high level counterparts are up against 5-7th ogres mercs with kobold, or even magic gear, maybe backed up by some giants or trolls, along with some mages in there.

I don't have an answer for the issue of dealing with mages with less(or less complicated) combat rounds.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Warmaster40k
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Warmaster40k »

Honestly at high level the characters should be very important people and should be engaging with other important people also the gods especially the gods you worship start becoming very interested in you. This is also when expeditions into the Yinsloth Jungle, the Land of the Damned, or dealing with the great ice shelf.
I am the Omega, I am the thread killer, my post is death.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”