Settings settings

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

What kind of game world do you prefer?

A world with prejudice, racism, sexism, and other societal ills.
100%
A utopian world without societal ills.
No votes

Total votes: 9

Veknironth
Hero

Settings settings

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, rather than keep derailing PalladiumBrony's post I thought I'd make a new one. What sort of settings do you prefer in terms of inequities or societal ills?

Do you prefer the setting close to as written, with all of the societal ills like sexism, racism, classism and all the rest? Or do you prefer a more Utopian version like Gene Roddenberry's vision of an ideal future?

-Vek
"I prefer the former."
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Settings settings

Unread post by kiralon »

I prefer the former, Palladium is what I class as heroic fantasy, The world is fairly dark and the players tend to strive to be the best they can be. The XP tables tend to reflect this as well, so the players tend to be less murder hobo's or more knights in shining armour. Having nothing to fight against would be boring.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Prejudice and social disfunction lead to conflict and that is inherently interesting. This is why dystopia is such a major genre. It's also why movies like The Defiant Ones, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner and 12 Angry Men. One of the reasons why the X-Men are so interesting is the prejudice and fear that surrounds mutants.

It is far more interesting to bring a group together where there is mistrust and divergent interests. Put a Wolfen and a human on the same team as an elf and dwarf drop a changeling into the group that nobody trusts and you have lots of avenues for adventure.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Rogerd
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Rogerd »

You have opened another thread to justify using Palladium's racial hatred and stereotyping in your games.

What the fcuk is wrong you with people?
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Rogerd wrote:You have opened another thread to justify using Palladium's racial hatred and stereotyping in your games.

What the fcuk is wrong you with people?

Racial hatred? Are you a complete lunatic? You can say stereotypes sure, I disagree but valid opinion sure but racial hatred? You're a troll has to be because nobody is this nuts IRL.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Rogerd
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Rogerd »

Warshield73 wrote:Racial hatred? Are you a complete lunatic? You can say stereotypes sure, I disagree but valid opinion sure but racial hatred? You're a troll has to be because nobody is this nuts IRL.

Can you not read FFS?

Veknironth wrote:Do you prefer the setting close to as written, with all of the societal ills like sexism, racism, classism and all the rest? Or do you prefer a more Utopian version like Gene Roddenberry's vision of an ideal future?

-Vek
"I prefer the former."

The entire premise of the thread, and I have bolded for significance - where is mentions racism, and racial hatreds exist in Palladium Fantasy, like how the Elves and Dwarves hate one another, and a whole host of others since I read some of the supplements no doubt.

And there is no excuse for justifying this.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Rogerd wrote:

I find it interesting these days that stereotyping and racisms in rpg seems to be a worse crime then running around murderising things. To me racism is bad, but killing is way worse, but i have never seen a thread decrying the wrongness of running around and killing "monster/against your mindset" races.
How many creatures have you killed in rpg, dang that must mean you condone killing.
Rogerd
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Rogerd »

kiralon wrote:
Rogerd wrote:

I find it interesting these days that stereotyping and racisms in rpg seems to be a worse crime then running around murderising things. To me racism is bad, but killing is way worse, but i have never seen a thread decrying the wrongness of running around and killing "monster/against your mindset" races.
How many creatures have you killed in rpg, dang that must mean you condone killing.

Complete non sequitur
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

kiralon wrote:
Rogerd wrote:

Nearly typed the same thing. It's an imaginary world based on what aspects are the most exciting to interact with. Helping those in need is is a basic part of adventures and any prejudice discovered in your games can make for some clear good vs bad encounters/interaction. Most pop culture films, games etc have all these disgusting human traits.
Interacting with the more complex prejudices and stances from both sides can also make for great storytelling (such as in the Attack on Titan series).
Canon Prejudices invoke more plot lines than a utopia IMHO and it is a game where you can adjust as you see fit (but I think it's easier to adjust this way round).

Ive not read anyone condoning IRL prejudice nor (as another in game example) IRL killing or IRL thievery (but most RPGs (TT or VG) have Rogue archetypes).
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Levi
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Location: Lost in a dream world with the occasional nightmare of what might be reality.

Unread post by Levi »

Rogerd wrote:And there is no excuse for justifying this.

I think you are mixing up justifying that something exists with recognizing it exists. Then it would seem you are linking "justifying" its existence with approving of it. Do any of us like that racism, hate, war, or murder exist? Most people don't. But it does. And, these tensions make for good conflict to build story on.
As a man's shadow follows his footsteps wherever he goes, so will destruction pursue those who commit evil deeds.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Rogerd wrote:complete non sequitur

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means"
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Hmmm...playing a Utopia...you end-up playing a character playing a role in a game.
Utopias are BORING. If you're not a "drone," you're likely to end-up leaving for a more chaotic world...whether you can survive is a separate issue! :lol: (See Robert Heinlein's "Coventry.")
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

Unread post by Captain_Nibbz »

Surprised that the mods haven't shut this one down. This discussion belongs in Sound Off.
A good friend will help you hide a body. A best friend will lend you the P.P.E. you need to resurrect the body as a loyal zombie servant.

"If I kept a list of all time worst Sound Off threads, this would be way up there." - Mack

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”