Spells affecting spell casters

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

Spells affecting spell casters

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I know that there is either a belief that spells do not affect the spell caster, or that it is written somewhere. If it is written somewhere I can't find it. Does anyone know where this would be?

-Vek
"Or am I just thinking of wards?
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Spells affecting spell casters

Unread post by Kraynic »

That may be from the diabolist. I don't know of a reference with any regular caster (wizard, priest, warlock, etc.), but diabolists are immune to their own offensive wards according to the core rules.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

It is only in the diabolist magic class that the Wards that the mage makes can't effect that mage. (Unless that is the intent of that mage.)

ALL of other magic users have no "their own spells don't effect them" clause. So make sure that area of effect doesn't includ where your char is standing. If you don't want them to get scorched, boiled or otherwise hurt by their own spell.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

If you are talking about it in general that "spells cast, do not affect the spell caster" IINM that exception is only in diabolism. However, there are specific cases where the Wizard Invocations spell caster is considered immune to the effects of their own spell (not intended to be a complete list, nor representative of other caster schools like necromancy or Elemental magic):
1. Sanctuary (Spell of Legend, PF2E pg218) "Only the spell caster of the sanctuary is not subject to its effects."
2. Sanctum (Level 13, PF2E pg215) "Only the sanctum maker can strike somebody or cast magic without the sanctum spell "removing" him."
3. Anti-Magic Cloud (Level 11, PF2E pg210) "Only the creator of the cloud is not affected (he can still use his magic)!"
4. Thunderclap (Level 1, PF2E pg190) "As an intimidation device, it will momentarily startle and distract everyone other than the spell caster."

There are also spells that for one reason or another would not impact the spell caster. Though a review of spells in PF2E did turn up some that could be implied that the caster would (or should) be immune to the spell effects.

This all leads to the conclusion (IMHO) that unless otherwise indicated the caster is not immune to their own spells.
Levi
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Location: Lost in a dream world with the occasional nightmare of what might be reality.

Unread post by Levi »

Looks like you have a pretty concrete by the book answer. I like that the spell casters have to be careful and use their spells wisely so they don't harm themselves for their allies. This helps keep the balance. But, I could see other exceptions or giving the caster a bonus to save or reduced damage from their own magic. If you wanted to be nice or have a middle ground between how this works vs other games where the caster and their allies are immune.
As a man's shadow follows his footsteps wherever he goes, so will destruction pursue those who commit evil deeds.
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ITWastrel »

Unless otherwise stated, the caster is in danger from some of his own spells.

Stay out of your spell effects. Carpet of Adhesion and fire wall will kill you regardless of your saving throw, too.

BTDubs, that's the absolute most bestest use of your PPE in any situation you can pull it off. Bring a fire warlock with you and tag team any size group. Giggity.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”