"Human hands"

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

Re: "Human hands"

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, if it were "human" hands that would be much clearer. The term human hands could just be another human centric mistake by Palladium authors. The ranges of spells and other powers show this as well. Why would a giant cast a 10" energy field bubble? That wouldn't even cover it.

Or, it could be human specific with the human focus of Bizantium. That is the clearest interpretation. If it's open to non-humans, then does that mean just humanoids? Are demons included? What about a dragon in the form of a human?

-Vek
"I vote for human only."
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

Unless there is a different origin for that particular item (like being created by Thoth or Belimar for example), then it was likely created by Dwarves. Why would Dwarves create something that only repairs items created by Humans?
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

Smiling_Bandit wrote:
Kraynic wrote:Unless there is a different origin for that particular item (like being created by Thoth or Belimar for example), then it was likely created by Dwarves. Why would Dwarves create something that only repairs items created by Humans?

It does say it was made by Belimar. I would imagine, him being a dwarf god, it still lends credence to it being open for a wider variety of user over the human hands line.

Since it was created by a deity, I would lean towards it being able to repair anything created by a mortal hands.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Yeah, I would lean towards "mortal hands", rather than strictly "human hands"
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

That sounds like a reasonable interpretation. If someone is having their armor or shield destroyed, that 2d6x10 could save them a world of hurt in combat. Although I could see the large repair having some use between encounters if there is a "waves" scenario happening.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Like the healing touch from priests... if you've got the time, it's not limited.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Smiling_Bandit wrote:Hey folks. I've got another, probably semantic, point in a book. In Bizantium pg. 187 there is the rune "weapon" that repairs /fixes items made by "human hands". Now I'm pretty sure ya'll are seeing where I'm headed with this. But I would welcome a different take on it. Now is it just specific and it literally means human only? Or does it mean any crafted items, like those made by dwarves or kobolds as well?

Smiling_Bandit - Could see it going either way, Bizantium is pretty human centric

I would explain that limitation as to any mundane object made by a mortal, for games that I GM'ed. Otherwise it would be too cumbersome to work into the game.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”