Fire Whip

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

Fire Whip

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I was looking at the Fire Whip and it says it's 4d6 damage and +1 strike, in addition to WP bonuses. But would you also add damage from PS or H2H skills? What about bonuses to strike from PP or H2H skills?

-Vek
"If not, why would a Baalrog bother using it?"
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Re: Fire Whip

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Nope. It's made of energy so it's causing all the damage. Doesn't matter if you have a P.S. of 3 or 100. Same damage. Energy melee weapons never use P.S.
bonus to apply damage is almost universal throughout the Palladium Megaverse.
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Personally, I'd raise the damage up to 6D6. It's sixth level and I want my 6th level spells to have more oomph than the first level Fiery Touch doing the same
amount of damage. But that's just me.
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, then how does one parry it if it's pure energy?

-Vek
"And what about bonuses to strike?"
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

I allow magic items to parry magic weapon attacks, so in this case a shield with any enchantment on it, including changing its colour will allow you to parry, non magical items cannot parry it,
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Reagren Wright wrote:Personally, I'd raise the damage up to 6D6. It's sixth level and I want my 6th level spells to have more oomph than the first level Fiery Touch doing the same
amount of damage. But that's just me.

IMO, a good rule of thumb is "damage equal to xD6, where x is the level of the spell."
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Veknironth wrote:Well, I was looking at the Fire Whip and it says it's 4d6 damage and +1 strike, in addition to WP bonuses. But would you also add damage from PS or H2H skills? What about bonuses to strike from PP or H2H skills?

-Vek
"If not, why would a Baalrog bother using it?"

I don't think there are whip specific rules about adding damage bonuses to a whip strike. However, coming at it from a GM PoV and considering what sort of damage a whip does, I would not allow damage bonuses to be added to a whip's damage.
(The only way I can see of a situation that adds a damage bonus is if the target is tied to a post of something where the striker can put all their effort into the hit rather than putting their effeor into hitting a dodging target.)

I don't see any reason to not add in strike bonuses from PP & a HTH or MAF to a whip's strike bonus. Or if they give a bonus to entangle add them to the entangle bonus.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Veknironth wrote:Well, then how does one parry it if it's pure energy?

-Vek
"And what about bonuses to strike?"

The important thing to keep in mind is that when you parry how that parry is achieved falls into one of two categories and it would apply if the attack* is physical or energy:
1. you parry the attack with a separate item (shield or weapon or other object)
2. you don't really parry the attack directly (example: sword on shield) but the wielding limb, likely done because you don't have something to parry (example you parry the arm swinging the sword with your arm).

*megaversally I can point to examples where you can parry energy attacks. Rifts and Robotech (1st Edition) have examples that fall under this heading for ranged combat, though you are at penalty. In Palladium Fantasy you can use Psi-Shield to parry energy blasts and projectiles (-3, see PF2E pg177) so it is possible. Now this might be a bit different than a FireWhip or Psi-Sword (or similar attack) since it refers to a ranged attack in all cases, but it should still be possible as you can do ranged combat so melee combat should be possible/easier (ranged attacks are usually parried at penalties).

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”