Hex-Mapping the Palladium World

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Philosopher_X
Newb

Hex-Mapping the Palladium World

Unread post by Philosopher_X »

Good Morning everybody,

after a short absence of about 15 years from the Palladium Fantasy World, I recently went through some boxes in my cellar and found that this world with its unique and rich background is just too good to be ignored or neglected. So, since I also love old school hex maps, I decided to do something to push this world a bit ... and here is the result.

The world as a 24-mile hex map.

----> Link to HighRes map on GoogleDrive (size 7 MB):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LDWhm_HDIkdTpzH6QF5dd_vuHUsDOAoc/view?usp=sharing

Some notes:

- I tried my best in measuring ... but the hexes are probably a bit closer to 25 or 26 miles ... however I stay with 24 miles per hex as scale for nostalgic reasons.

- some areas are not very detailed as for settlements etc ... this is either because they haven't been covered in canon sourcebooks (Old Kingdom, South Winds) or because I have only the first part of the Land of the Damned. But besides those, I tried to put in all canon information available into the map.

- in some really densely settled areas (like Timiro Kingdom) I omitted some smaller settlements because they just don't fit into a map with a 24 miles-scale.

- the available maps are not always congruent, that is there are some contradictions even comparing canon maps between different earlier and later sourcebooks. This is by no means a reproach, it's rather normal. And in most cases, you won't even notice ... up to and until you try to combine them trying to make a map on your own. There are two major discrepancies however that had to be addressed:

- the course of the upper Old Kingdom river is different between the Eastern Territories and the Old Ones (Timiro) sourcebooks. I used the Timiro version, because it's a more important part of that area.

- in the Northern Hinterlands, the Kirin barbarian areas are vastly different in size between the Bizantium and the Northern Hinterlands sourcebook maps. Since I for myself found one far too small and the other far too large, I tried for some middle ground. So, this is the only area where I made some personal changes that don't exactly align with canon material.

- rule number one for all cartographers: a map is never, ever, really finished. I might still make some adjustments later.

- Feedback and suggestions for improvements are always welcome

- free for personal use, but in no way for any commercial use without my consent

Finally ...

I am interested in outlining some areas in more detail in 8-mile hex maps ... while my personal interest as of now is in the SW areas (Yin-Sloth, Baalgor, Nimro Kingdom), I am open for suggestions from you concerning your favorite areas, should anyone be interested.

Greets, and stay safe.
-
Veknironth
Hero

Re: Hex-Mapping the Palladium World

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, damn. Good work!

-Vek
"Speechless."
Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

Unread post by Captain_Nibbz »

Oh dang, that is actually really impressive!
A good friend will help you hide a body. A best friend will lend you the P.P.E. you need to resurrect the body as a loyal zombie servant.

"If I kept a list of all time worst Sound Off threads, this would be way up there." - Mack
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Thats pretty cool
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Philosopher_X wrote:Good Morning everybody,

after a short absence of about 15 years from the Palladium Fantasy World, I recently went through some boxes in my cellar and found that this world with its unique and rich background is just too good to be ignored or neglected. So, since I also love old school hex maps, I decided to do something to push this world a bit ... and here is the result.

The world as a 24-mile hex map.

----> Link to HighRes map on GoogleDrive (size 7 MB):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LDWhm_HDIkdTpzH6QF5dd_vuHUsDOAoc/view?usp=sharing

Some notes:

- I tried my best in measuring ... but the hexes are probably a bit closer to 25 or 26 miles ... however I stay with 24 miles per hex as scale for nostalgic reasons.

- some areas are not very detailed as for settlements etc ... this is either because they haven't been covered in canon sourcebooks (Old Kingdom, South Winds) or because I have only the first part of the Land of the Damned. But besides those, I tried to put in all canon information available into the map.

- in some really densely settled areas (like Timiro Kingdom) I omitted some smaller settlements because they just don't fit into a map with a 24 miles-scale.

- the available maps are not always congruent, that is there are some contradictions even comparing canon maps between different earlier and later sourcebooks. This is by no means a reproach, it's rather normal. And in most cases, you won't even notice ... up to and until you try to combine them trying to make a map on your own. There are two major discrepancies however that had to be addressed:

- the course of the upper Old Kingdom river is different between the Eastern Territories and the Old Ones (Timiro) sourcebooks. I used the Timiro version, because it's a more important part of that area.

- in the Northern Hinterlands, the Kirin barbarian areas are vastly different in size between the Bizantium and the Northern Hinterlands sourcebook maps. Since I for myself found one far too small and the other far too large, I tried for some middle ground. So, this is the only area where I made some personal changes that don't exactly align with canon material.

- rule number one for all cartographers: a map is never, ever, really finished. I might still make some adjustments later.

- Feedback and suggestions for improvements are always welcome

- free for personal use, but in no way for any commercial use without my consent

Finally ...

I am interested in outlining some areas in more detail in 8-mile hex maps ... while my personal interest as of now is in the SW areas (Yin-Sloth, Baalgor, Nimro Kingdom), I am open for suggestions from you concerning your favorite areas, should anyone be interested.

Greets, and stay safe.
-

That's awesome! Kudos from another map-maker. I haven't played with hex maps yet, and I like how that one worked out. It makes me wonder what kind of other games one might make out of Palladium Fantasy as a setting.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”