Maledon Mount

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Maledon Mount

Unread post by kiralon »

Melech (p 119 monsters and animals) tends to be my go to mount for monster races
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

I often use a Melech too. Or a Dragondactyl! As Maledon are a reptilian race, it might be nice to have a reptilian mount - for the area they live in, an Alpine Monitor (Hinterlands page 85) might suit. Or, if your Maledon lives elsewhere in the world, maybe a Drayback (Baalgor Wastelands)? Maledon are probably too big to ride a thorny sun devil (Monsters & Animals, page 142).
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

One thing I've done with large races is have their cavalry be chariots, rather than mounted. Especially Wolfen, since I imagine their tail makes sitting on a mount uncomfortable.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Mark Hall wrote:One thing I've done with large races is have their cavalry be chariots, rather than mounted. Especially Wolfen, since I imagine their tail makes sitting on a mount uncomfortable.

Yeah, I put wolfen on chariots, too. Also partly because of their Roman-themed culture.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Soldier of Od wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:One thing I've done with large races is have their cavalry be chariots, rather than mounted. Especially Wolfen, since I imagine their tail makes sitting on a mount uncomfortable.

Yeah, I put wolfen on chariots, too. Also partly because of their Roman-themed culture.

The Roman theme definitely gives a good reason to put them in chariots, as does their size. But I'm not sure that the tail would be much of a problem given its location on the body being well above the seat. They would certainly need different kinds of saddles than humans given the shape of the legs though.

Does the Wolfen Empire book cover what kind of mounts, if any, that they use?
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Warshield73 wrote:But I'm not sure that the tail would be much of a problem given its location on the body being well above the seat.

Where do you get that? I mean, seriously, tails are pretty much at the seat, because of where the tailbone is. All the art that remembers the tail tends to show it at their seat, usually projecting in line with their spine, as a tail is wont to do.

It's not like their tail comes out of their mid-back, or somehow at a 90* angle from their pelvis. Being, presumably, relatively canine-like, their tails are also likely relatively stiff... not a board, but not a rope, either.

There's a good reason the Wolfen Empire had to subcontract its cavalry to a human client state... because wolfen, by their body shape as much as body size, are going to be bad at sitting on a horse, or even a chair with a solid back.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Mark Hall wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:But I'm not sure that the tail would be much of a problem given its location on the body being well above the seat.

Where do you get that? I mean, seriously, tails are pretty much at the seat, because of where the tailbone is. All the art that remembers the tail tends to show it at their seat, usually projecting in line with their spine, as a tail is wont to do.

It's not like their tail comes out of their mid-back, or somehow at a 90* angle from their pelvis. Being, presumably, relatively canine-like, their tails are also likely relatively stiff... not a board, but not a rope, either.

There's a good reason the Wolfen Empire had to subcontract its cavalry to a human client state... because wolfen, by their body shape as much as body size, are going to be bad at sitting on a horse, or even a chair with a solid back.

First, I prefaced this by saying "I'm not sure".
Second, I base it the fact that wolfen can sit. In Phase World they can fly fighters and use power armors.
Third, the tails aren't huge. Normal dogs can sit just fine, even in cars, so bipedal canines should be able to push the tail to one side and sit at least as well as a quadruped.

Now I didn't know about the outsourcing of cavalry to a human nation but I still think that wolfen would be able to make a saddle at least as uncomfortable as the ones humans use. My guess would be that it would have a split back that would go more down the sides to support the rider while leaving room for the tail but I am sure there are other ways.

Again, if the books say something different then I stand correct but this seems as plausible as anything.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”