Anyone ever try converting D&D monstors to PFRPG?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Dirtcheap
D-Bee

Anyone ever try converting D&D monstors to PFRPG?

Unread post by Dirtcheap »

I gave it a few tries using Ghouls as a base line but could never come up with anything that was consistent or seems to have the same power factor. Would be nice to have a on the fly system to convert from say AD&D monstrous manual or something similar.

It looks to me as PFRPG creatures are way more hearty and armored than most base D&D creatures. But a formula to convert is not presenting itself to me. Been search for a while and have come up with nothing.

The ghoul example above is actually pretty similar to AD&D in most respects, attacks per round and dmg are pretty close. But converting D&D AC and HP to PFRPG to AR + HP+ SDC is pretty different.

Anyone ever thought about this type of conversion or have a link to point me in the right direction?

Thanks.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Anyone ever try converting D&D monstors to PFRPG?

Unread post by kiralon »

I have, and its not an easy conversion as palladium gives a high number of attacks per round, and people have sdc as well as hp, so the combat takes longer. I play first ed palladium with house rules and an average D&D ghoul would be for me

HP: 18 - 32
AR: 12 Natural
Strike Bonus: 1-3
Parry Bonus: 2-5
#attacks: 2
Special: Paralysis when it draws blood, susceptible to fire (ignores AR), can only be injured by magic attacks\magical weapons or fire.
HtH style is usually mercenary.
Dirtcheap
D-Bee

Unread post by Dirtcheap »

kiralon wrote:I have, and its not an easy conversion as palladium gives a high number of attacks per round, and people have sdc as well as hp, so the combat takes longer. I play first ed palladium with house rules and an average D&D ghoul would be for me

HP: 18 - 32
AR: 12 Natural
Strike Bonus: 1-3
Parry Bonus: 2-5
#attacks: 2
Special: Paralysis when it draws blood, susceptible to fire (ignores AR), can only be injured by magic attacks\magical weapons or fire.
HtH style is usually mercenary.

Hey thanks for the response. How did you decide some of the figures you got especially the hp and ar numbers?
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

I thought for a minute by PFRPG you meant Pathfinder, which would be funny.

Forum policy is pretty opposed to discussing direct conversions, for reasons. That said, Palladium has ghouls, whom being actual demons are considerably more potent than those found in other systems. While pretty much every version is interested in eating people, some versions of ghouls tend to emphasize transmitting disease, while others like Palladium focus on their place in Hades' hierarchy/as necromancer minions, while ghouls in the Cthulhu Mythos might lean more towards magic and dream stuff.
Last edited by Curbludgeon on Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

testing, i played a lot of second ed dnd in the 90's and just test a monsters toughness to see how long it lasts against a party. I actually used 1 of these against a first level party as the the elite fight before the boss, and he took down 3 of 5 characters with his paralysis. As an elite he needs to have enough hit points to survive 1 critical hit from the toughest fighter, and a lowish ar that doesnt take sdc damage, or a high ar with low sdc.

Players tend to like
multiple fights with cannon fodder
i.e. Orc Bandit
HP:8 (are sick and undernourished)
Ar: studded leather for leader with %20 less sdc
soft leather for the other fodder
+1 strike (from wp)
+2 to 4 damage (They are orcs)
+2 parry (small shields)

and my players love chopping these guys up.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”