Shield Damage

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

Shield Damage

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I was looking at the shield bash damage, and it's way too high. It's 2d4. That's the same damage as a sabre or a cutlass. That's way too high, right? I always thought it was 1d4. Was it ever?

-Veknironth
"1d4 Might even be too high."
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Shield Damage

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Oh, wow, look at page 60 of the PFRPG

W.P. Shield: Combat skills with large and small shields used primarily for parrying and self defense. Bonuses: +1 to parry at levels 1, 3, 6, 9, 12 and 15. A shield can be used in one hand and a weapon in the other. +1 to strike with a shield (1D4 damage) at levels 4, 8, and 12. No bonus to strike when thrown.

Shields! The average small wood & leather shield has 30 S.D.C. and costs 35 gold. A small wood & metal plated shield has 50 S.D.C. and costs 65 gold. Small shields can be thrown about 15 feet (4.6 m), inflicting 1D6 damage. Hitting or butting somebody with a small or large shield does 2D4 damage.

A large wood & leather shield has 60 S.D.C. and costs 75 gold. A large wood & metal plated shield has 100 S.D.C. and costs 110 gold. A large iron shield has 130 S.D.C., costs 180 gold, but requires a P.S. of 22 or higher to use (otherwise -4 to parry). No large shield can be thrown.

They are not even consistent within the same weapon proficiency as to how much damage they do!

As for it being too-high... you're hitting someone edge-on with 4-11 pounds of brass knuckles, or smashing them in the torso and chest with a door. It should be higher than a punch.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Veknironth
Hero

Well, I guess the splitting of the difference would be 1d6?

-Vek
"Can we have a big board eratta?"
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

The damage that some things do is stupid eg jump kick@3d6*2 and roundhouse kick@3d6. Apparently you use weapons to give people a chance of survival.
Veknironth
Hero

Well, is it possible that the first mention of 1d4 damage is supposed to be added at higher levels? That makes it even worse.

-Vek
“That would be 5d4 damage with a shield attack at the highest levels.”
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Veknironth wrote:Well, I was looking at the shield bash damage, and it's way too high. It's 2d4. That's the same damage as a sabre or a cutlass. That's way too high, right? I always thought it was 1d4. Was it ever?

-Veknironth
"1d4 Might even be too high."

Greetings and Salutations. As others have stated, the damages in Palladium are all over the place. To reconcile the two, I think I usually say the 1D4 is more of a quick jab (quick hit while trying to keep your defenses up) and receive the bonuses. A full shield bash is closer to the body/block tackle and deals 2D4 (as well as potentially stunning the opponent as a house rule), but not the full W.P. bonuses.

With that said, the shield is a potentially deadly weapon. Basically, it's a giant blunt object. While the show is a bit dated and their tests not consistent (which is to say they'd test different weapons using different techniques, which can make them difficult to compare accurately), Deadliest Warrior (2009) had an episode of the Spartan vs. Ninja. In there, they tested the shield and its kinetic damage made it potentially the Spartan's deadliest weapon. Don't just dismiss it as a defensive item. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

A roundhouse kick does 3D6 damage, so there's that. Hello, Chuck Norris!

This is something I tried to address with my house rules for melee combat, where light armor takes no damage from blunt strikes, but does from sharp weapons (heavy armor doesn't take damage from either). Thus, unless you bypass the AR, you do no damage to an armored opponent with a shield bash, punch, or kick.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”