Trail cutting/Wilderness Movement.

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

PalladiumBrony
Explorer

Trail cutting/Wilderness Movement.

Unread post by PalladiumBrony »

Posted here as it covers a topic that could be reasonably applied to any Rifts game, but this felt like the setting where it's most commonly applicable - on Rift's Earth you could just use any number of heavy machines or massive guns to un-exist any forest in your way. I was reading in the After the Bomb supplement Mutants of the Yucatan, about the "Weapon Proficiency: Machete" skill, and it brings up an interesting notion; With this WP specifically, and no other melee weapon or other skill, you can reduce the penalties for movement through overgrown terrain to 1/3 of what they would usually be. Come to think of it, are there any examples (or does anyone have any house rules they use, I hate the "mile every 5 hours" rule in MotY, and that's with a machete!) of how different terrains - waist high grass, head high grass, jungle, thick forest etc - impact movement speed without some way to cut through? I'd love some RL perspective on this, as I don't believe you need a special WP where that's really the only benefit, so a couple of questions if anyone would be able to offer advice?

> Should any sword (or axe or even decently sized dagger) capable of hewing/chopping be able to be used in the manner of a machete? Obviously swords that can only slash or thrust would be completely useless, and I don't know if there's something about a machete that makes it especially resistant to that kind of damage where any other sword would quickly have its cutting edge destroyed beyond all use.
> Does a 60% reduction in movement penalty sound reasonable, if the main cause of the penalty is undergrowth/trees and not ice/snow etc?
> Once a trail has been cut through the wilderness, how long should it stay navigable for? Days? Weeks? Months? I know it's going to be a matter of simplification from the real world, as most things are in RPGs.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Trail cutting/Wilderness Movement.

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Trail Blazing....

WP Machete....(This would of been easier to comment on if you had provided location details [book-page] of what you asked about. WP Machete & Moving through wilderness penalties)

Comments
<1>Short Swords can be used as Machetes....because machetes are short swords.
<1a>Axes, daggers, and long swords are ether have blades that are ether too long or too short to be used to tile blaze through a jungle. Mostly vines and small branches to be cleared.
<1b>All blades will need to be resharpened every night or every 4 hours.
<2> For jungle trail blazing the Machete penalty reduction seams to be okay.
<2a> For trail blazing through snow ......not sure but this might of been covered in the Northern Hinterlands PF book.
<3> How long does a trial stay after it's been cut depends on where it's been Blazed?....this depends on what terrain it is cut through.
--Jungle...hours or days
--leafy tree forest (eastern NA): days to months.
--Pine forests: weeks to months.
--plains: days to years (depending on traffic)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”