What do you want the Next Palladium fantasy rpg,s Books?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

gaby
Knight

What do you want the Next Palladium fantasy rpg,s Books?

Unread post by gaby »

What do you want the Next Palladium fantasy rpg's books to be?

I like hoping for Lod 3,Lapan,The Old Ones2,(Kingdom of Timro),Mysteries of magic 2:DarK magic.

Do you Think it,s Time for a New Edition of Phalladium fantasy rpg?
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Re: What do you want the Next Palladium fantasy rpg,s Books?

Unread post by Warshield73 »

As someone who doesn't play PFRPG but likes to read the book I want LoD3, really want to finish reading about that region.

Alternatively the Mysteries of Magic book has been really useful for BTS/HU and Rifts so MoM2 would be great too.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

MoM 2 & 3

There is a possibility of giving alternant worlds to play on. Giving everyone a 'clean slate' to use their imagination on.
I'm just wondering out loud if it that the world is a bit stale and introducing a new one might bring in those that have lost interest elsewhere.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

doesnt need to be a new world, but somehere outside of the black
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Products I'd like to see are the long-expected ones:

Land of the Damned 3
Old Kingdom
Land of South Winds
Phi
Lopan

Products I'd love to see are the ones we don't necessarily expect, but which might be awesome. Some examples:
Beyond the Edge of the World: a campaign book
Palladium Wars: A series of strategy board games to play out the pending conflicts of Palladium Fantasy. Civil War and Barbarian Invasion of the Western Empire, Wolfen Empire vs the Dominion of Man, Iceborn vs Bizantium/Shadow Colonies, et cetera.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

kiralon wrote:doesnt need to be a new world, but somehere outside of the black

Would I be correct in thinking you are talking about the black wall that is mentioned in the "Island at the edge of the world" book?
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

Would I be correct in thinking you are talking about the black wall that is mentioned in the "Island at the edge of the world" book?

Yes indeedy
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

kiralon wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

Yes indeedy

Me too.

Just imagine: the Edge of the World, a sky-high barrier of dark energy. An opening appears: a tunnel, through which a small ship full of heroes threads its way. We can't quite see the other side, but we can see the light illuminating them through the opening.

That's a cover that would make me want to buy a book.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Or a strange ship wrecks on one of the eastern territories coasts, covered in metal scales, with the sails in tatters and the creew gone, however there are strange foods in he galley, clothing of unusual style and weapons made of resin covered crystal, a flag is discovered and not recognised, the preserved carcass of a 6 legged creature is in a part of the galley that is always cold and more importantly, charts are found of places not currently known, and a strange looking clock and compass that when the language is translated, could let an enterprising group find the exact location the ship travelled to get through the black . . . .
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

While a book detailing beyond the wall would be really cool, I'd really like to see the main world fully described first. It's been almost 40 years now. I know Rifts sells better, but if PF had 60 books, it would probably sell better too.
Personally I would love to see the system cleaned up. A core rule book with all classes from all the books. A book of magic detailing all the spells and magic classes. A book of monsters/races combining them from all books. It's laborious to try and remember which book has which spells, rules, classes, skills etc.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I say it before I would love to see More Mysteries of Magic,s books for PFrpg,One can on Magic from Rifter like Song magic,and Other can add New Magic Weapons,Magic Items,Potions and New Attributes for Magic weapns and Armor.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

gaby wrote:I say it before I would love to see More Mysteries of Magic,s books for PFrpg,One can on Magic from Rifter like Song magic,and Other can add New Magic Weapons,Magic Items,Potions and New Attributes for Magic weapns and Armor.

I would love to see magic items that mages can create that help them focus there magic. You can see this in games like Shadow Run or in fiction like Dresden Files. How can a mage create a staff that will help her/him focus there magic? Game stats could be bonuses to save vs magic, spell strength, PPE storage. This would be great for PF and we could then steal it for HU, BTS and of course Rifts.
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Warshield73 wrote:
gaby wrote:I say it before I would love to see More Mysteries of Magic,s books for PFrpg,One can on Magic from Rifter like Song magic,and Other can add New Magic Weapons,Magic Items,Potions and New Attributes for Magic weapns and Armor.

I would love to see magic items that mages can create that help them focus there magic. You can see this in games like Shadow Run or in fiction like Dresden Files. How can a mage create a staff that will help her/him focus there magic? Game stats could be bonuses to save vs magic, spell strength, PPE storage. This would be great for PF and we could then steal it for HU, BTS and of course Rifts.

I had a couple. I *think* my rules for spellbooks made it into a Rifter, once upon a time, and I had rules for wands which made them basically vessels for spells.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Lord Malachdrim
Wanderer

Unread post by Lord Malachdrim »

I'd love to see a return to 1st ed, maybe cleaned up a bit but a return to 1st ed nonetheless.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good grudge.
Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

Semi-colons and other correctly used punctuation instead of sentence fragments.
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

It would be nice...if they make a new ed of the core book (or any other book), when they are talking about ALL the character classes to just say "The Character Classes" and restrict the use of the label 'O.C.C." for their job character classes. This way its prevents any confusion about which Character Classes they are talking about in things like the 'changing class rules'.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

All the books updated to Second Edition and the ones that are only Second Edition made into First Edition. It would be nice to have complete, functioning games.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I think Old Ones 2,will be Great,It will give Timiro Kingdom revistied and Update with All Npc and info from Rifter 63,and Other things,Maybe some All New Adventures.

What do you think?
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

gaby wrote:I think Old Ones 2,will be Great,It will give Timiro Kingdom revistied and Update with All Npc and info from Rifter 63,and Other things,Maybe some All New Adventures.

What do you think?

:wink: I think you might get your wish and then some.
Rogerd
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Rogerd »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:There is a possibility of giving alternant worlds to play on. Giving everyone a 'clean slate' to use their imagination on.

I'm just wondering out loud if it that the world is a bit stale and introducing a new one might bring in those that have lost interest elsewhere.

Now this is a good idea.
All we need are basic world details, araces, few classes etc and we are good to go.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

Rogerd wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:There is a possibility of giving alternant worlds to play on. Giving everyone a 'clean slate' to use their imagination on.

Now this is a good idea.
All we need are basic world details, araces, few classes etc and we are good to go.

Umm, if this is all you need then just take from the existing PFRPG and ignore what you don't want. The thing that drew me to Palladium in the late '80s, and also to Westend Star Wars, was how much world information there was. I didn't have to pull so much out of my backside but if that kind of detail bothers you just pick and choose and create the world.
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

Warshield73 wrote:Umm, if this is all you need then just take from the existing PFRPG and ignore what you don't want.

That is my thought as well, and is why I only use bits and pieces of content from books after the first few. As long as I am upfront with my players about what I use, then they can decide whether my games are something they are willing to play in or not.
Dartsani
D-Bee

Unread post by Dartsani »

Still waiting for the Old Kingdom from december 1994...26+yrs and still counting. Maybe I will wait something else after this one is real.
Suicycho
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Suicycho »

Hotrod wrote:Products I'd like to see are the long-expected ones:

Land of the Damned 3
Old Kingdom
Land of South Winds
Phi
Lopan

Products I'd love to see are the ones we don't necessarily expect, but which might be awesome. Some examples:
Palladium Wars: A series of strategy board games to play out the pending conflicts of Palladium Fantasy. Civil War and Barbarian Invasion of the Western Empire, Wolfen Empire vs the Dominion of Man, Iceborn vs Bizantium/Shadow Colonies, et cetera.

These. Exactly these.
Suicycho-the only Sound Off poster to get a thread locked for flaming himself.

"And that's why I call you Cracker you cracker." -Daniel Stoker

"IM perfectly willing to accept whatever Suicycho say's as GOd GIven Truth." -Sir Spirit
darksied81
Newb

Unread post by darksied81 »

Old Kingdom would be nice since we've been waiting longer then two of my players have been alive.

Otherwise the books I'd most like are a update to 2nd ed. of Yin Sloth Jungles, the rest of MoM (however many books they'd decide that to be) and oddly enough I'd really like a Land of the South Winds book.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Lopan, Phi, LotSW, OK not interested in LotD 3 until well after those.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Goblin-Jack
Explorer

Unread post by Goblin-Jack »

The Dark Elf wrote:Lopan, Phi, LotSW, OK not interested in LotD 3 until well after those.

I believe that Phi is covered in the Lopan book (I'll verify once I get my grubby hands on the raw preview), the raw preview for which, along with the LotSW raw preview, are available now, shipping on 26 April. Good times ahead, I believe.
"Wujcik rules!!!"
Levi
Location: Lost in a dream world with the occasional nightmare of what might be reality.

Unread post by Levi »

The only book I am looking forward to would be the Old Kingdoms. For my uses, the rest of the world has enough info that I am happy to fill in the gaps. I will certianly get and use some of what is in the Lopan and Land of the Southwinds books when they are finished and pulled in full. But I wasn't really waiting for them.
As a man's shadow follows his footsteps wherever he goes, so will destruction pursue those who commit evil deeds.
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I heard a rumor that the Old Kingdom Books might be in the pipeline. For what that's worth.

-Vek
"I did hear this rumor in person, but it's still a rumor."
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Hotrod wrote:Products I'd like to see are the long-expected ones:

Land of the Damned 3
Old Kingdom
Land of South Winds
Phi
Lopan

Well two parts of your wish have been granted, just have to wait for the official versions.
Reagren Wright

darksied81 wrote:Old Kingdom would be nice since we've been waiting longer then two of my players have been alive.

Otherwise the books I'd most like are a update to 2nd ed. of Yin Sloth Jungles, the rest of MoM (however many books they'd decide that to be) and oddly enough I'd really like a Land of the South Winds book.

Your wish has a strong possibility of being granted within a certain time frame that we cannot discuss :D .
Zenvis
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Unread post by Zenvis »

I like to see a beastiary. Maybe a history, legends, myths book. LotD3 needs to be finished South Winds and Yin Sloth as well as all things first edition. Palladium is healthy again as a company and it's time.

Side question: What's MoM? Mountains of Mordore?
Everything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
My Blog and My Other Blog
Goblin-Jack
Explorer

Zenvis wrote:Side question: What's MoM? Mountains of Mordore?

Mysteries of Magic, volumes 2+
"Wujcik rules!!!"
Lord Malachdrim
Wanderer

My wish will never change.

I want to see this Rifts Fantasy line come to a screeching halt and a return to Palladium Fantasy (1st ed).
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

Lord Malachdrim wrote:My wish will never change.

I want to see this Rifts Fantasy line come to a screeching halt and a return to Palladium Fantasy (1st ed).

Is your problem the attempt at a universal game system or are you saying that the world setting has been turned into Rifts?

Just curious
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

I like the PF2 game....it is the rifters that try to insist it is 'all one game' that are annoying.

Well I do want to see a more steady stream of PF2 game books that don't drift away from the core game system the way Rifts has (well it is the only PB game that actual uses the current core game system). I'd hate it to just be turned a Rifts clone. Let rifts go its own way.

Maybe a PF2 GMG to update the H2H's APMs (to officially bring in the 2 APM for living) and other things that make it better. And the rest of the book could be an Adventure guild. So more like the HU GMG.

Maybe some obscure PCCs from the age of a 1000 magics could be included in the new books.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

I think if they want it to be all one game system then they should get rid of MDC altogether and update all the PF books to second edition. There should be no need to convert anything from one setting to the next.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Goblin-Jack
Explorer

Stone Gargoyle wrote:I think if they want it to be all one game system then they should get rid of MDC altogether and update all the PF books to second edition. There should be no need to convert anything from one setting to the next.

Kevin has two updated, 2E manuscripts for Yin-Sloth Jungles and Islands at the Edge of the World (as he noted in a weekly update and in person at the PoH), and as soon as they get through the pipeline of manuscripts, all of PF will officially be 2E.
"Wujcik rules!!!"
Tigerman543
D-Bee
Comment: " Never was a good war or a bad peace."-Benjamian Franklin

Unread post by Tigerman543 »

The Main Palladium Fantasy Book 2E could use layout organization and clarification like Rifts Ultimate Edition. (Especially since you have to buy Rifts Conversion Book to find out that you get two attacks. Not 4 like Rifts or Modern lines)

Races with the Classes and Getting Rid Of P.C.C. thus bringing it in line with Current Book lines. I'm thinking an Update as the rest of the main book is solid.

One thing that should be in every book as it was in Rifts Ultimate Edition was skill percentiles on the skill list page. Very helpful as you don't have to look up every skill.
Lord Malachdrim
Wanderer

Warshield73 wrote:
Lord Malachdrim wrote:My wish will never change.

Is your problem the attempt at a universal game system or are you saying that the world setting has been turned into Rifts?

Just curious

It is the mechanical changes to make it into Rifts.
The inclusion of SDC for living creatures slows down combat
The removal of varied combat styles and making it just another Basic, Expert, Marital Arts, Assassin deal.
The change to OCCs so that mages and psychics can now run around with HtH Martial Arts and WP Paired Weapons (making them men at arms generally pointless).
The inclusion of Physical skills allowing PCs to jack up their stats.
The ability to easily stack on combat bonuses making the AR values of armor generally a joke.

While 1e has plenty of things that could be cleaned up and revised it just plays faster and is an easier sell when introducing new players to Palladium (sort of as a Palladium Lite)
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

Lord Malachdrim wrote:It is the mechanical changes to make it into Rifts.
The inclusion of SDC for living creatures slows down combat
The removal of varied combat styles and making it just another Basic, Expert, Marital Arts, Assassin deal.
The change to OCCs so that mages and psychics can now run around with HtH Martial Arts and WP Paired Weapons (making them men at arms generally pointless).
The inclusion of Physical skills allowing PCs to jack up their stats.
The ability to easily stack on combat bonuses making the AR values of armor generally a joke.

While 1e has plenty of things that could be cleaned up and revised it just plays faster and is an easier sell when introducing new players to Palladium (sort of as a Palladium Lite)

Could also throw in that the introduction of PPE and increased spell casting speed also is a huge boost for casters, which is just another layer of imbalance introduced against martial/mundane characters. For the common utility and attack spells in the spelll level 1-5 range, it is similar to just adding 10 to 15 casts per day (which is quite the step up in power), though the PPE cost does keep the casting of most high level spells to a minimum. On the other hand, I don't see the casting of high level spells being all that problematic, since many of them are pretty situational. Then you increase the spells cast per melee, reducing the effectiveness of mundane characters interrupting spell casting.

They just play out incredibly differently. Obviously this is just personal opinion, but 2E leaves me feeling that it doesn't offer much in exchange for the drawbacks it introduces over 1E.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

If LotD 3, Lopan, Phi, LotSW, OK books all came out I think I would be a little sad. The regions are then written up.

I remember someone saying at the POH that the Isle of the Cyclops needs more detail and my reaction was "Absolutely not!" - Let GM's create as well.

Yes there is still areas for GM's to add places to but not nations. Not their own little piece of the Palladium world. So I would also want to see a new discovered continent on the East or West that is up for GM's to elaborate on.
Or an adventure module (much more of those please) whereby the wall at the edge of the world comes down revealing the new areas.

I also think that the Old Kingdom should be left incredibly sparse. Focus on the cultures of the Kingdom and not the geography. And it's never been called the New Kingdom (or Kingdoms-plural) so dont make it have any. As such I think one (big) book should cover it, not the two low/highlands.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Jimbo
Wanderer

Unread post by Jimbo »

I would just be happy if we could get something more than the Raw preview editions.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Jimbo wrote:I would just be happy if we could get something more than the Raw preview editions.
The problem is that Kevin is taking a reaally long time to get books out. He wants to go over everything and nitpick. That takes longer than just reading over manuscripts and approving them as is.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

The Dark Elf wrote:If LotD 3, Lopan, Phi, LotSW, OK books all came out I think I would be a little sad. The regions are then written up.

I remember someone saying at the POH that the Isle of the Cyclops needs more detail and my reaction was "Absolutely not!" - Let GM's create as well.

Yes there is still areas for GM's to add places to but not nations. Not their own little piece of the Palladium world. So I would also want to see a new discovered continent on the East or West that is up for GM's to elaborate on.
Or an adventure module (much more of those please) whereby the wall at the edge of the world comes down revealing the new areas.

I also think that the Old Kingdom should be left incredibly sparse. Focus on the cultures of the Kingdom and not the geography. And it's never been called the New Kingdom (or Kingdoms-plural) so dont make it have any. As such I think one (big) book should cover it, not the two low/highlands.

I respect the desire to keep enough wiggle room for GMs to create what they want, and I think this is already the case in most areas. Some examples:
The map I made of the Western Empire looks crowded at first glance, and it is, with 13 regions and about 50 provinces, each with a provincial/regional capital city. However, the book is also clear that there are a lot of cities that are not provincial or regional capitals, and many of these other cities are larger than their provincial or regional capitals. There's a whole section of the book dedicated to helping GMs create their own cities.

The Eastern Territoryis mostly empty, and while there are quite a few settled spots in it, there is a lot of wilderness with opportunities for a GM to create locations and even regions.

The Great Northern Wilderness has a lot of space to play with, even in its most densley-populated areas around the Algor Mountains. There's a lot of flexibility for a GM to create more places, towns, cities, and even small nations. Even in the west around Kiridin and the Shadow Colonies, there's a lot of flexibility.
The Land of the Damned has a ton of space, and while I've mapped out a bunch of it based on text descriptions, it wouldn't be hard to interpret some of those locations differently, nor would it be hard to invent new places and things to put in there.

That said, there are some places that seem a bit crowded and perhaps so well-defined that they might impede a GM who wants to create new features that are still canon-compliant. Some examples:
Bizantiumis pretty well-defined, though there's some space for GMs to add in minor settlements.
Timiro seems to have every city, town, village, fortress, and highway mapped in great detail.
The Floenry Isles seem very defined. While adding a few hamlets here or there wouldn't change much, there's not a lot a GM can add without messing with the canon description.
The Isle of Bletherad and the Isle of the Cyclops (which is actually an archipelago) are likewise very defined, as is the Island at the Edge of the World and Lemuria.

In terms of regions I haven't mapped yet, namely Nimro, the Baalgor Wastelands, and the Yin-Sloth Jungles, they're a mixed bag; all seem to have plenty of space, but also have certain areas that seem quite specifically defined. Adding in major cities wouldn't feel right for these regions, but I could see some latitude for towns, villages, hamlets, and even a small city-state here or there.

I don't see an issue with having regional sourcebooks for the remaining regions that would stop a GM from creating new content. Even for highly-defined areas, a GM can always make changes, but highly-defined regions are very much the exception in Palladium Fantasy. The question I think Palladium and authors should ponder is, "how much leeway do I want to leave for GMs to fill in?" Personally, I think Western Empire did the best out of all the books in balancing lots of specific detail while giving GMs the latitude and tools to create their own cities.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

Timiro is really filled in. On the other hand, it also had many adventure ideas or fairly fleshed out adventures that make use of a bunch of that detail. To me, the Great Northern Wilderness and Ophid's Grasslands areas were the easiest to throw in your own stuff. They still are if you ignore anything past the little "adventures in the northern wilderness" books. At that point in publishing, the wolfen empire sort of stretched to the Dragon's Claw, but just barely. Other than the Western Empire Colonies and the Colonies by Bizantium (which were mentioned but not detailed), you had a large swath of the world to simply do with as you will. There is the Devil's Mark, but it is left up to you to decide what all it really means/does. Of course, you can't really do a lot with some of it, since some of it is described as being so dense with fallen trees, regrowth, and/or under brush that you can't get horses through it, so not all of it would be readily explorable.

However, by the time you get through the later books, the colonies of Bizantium are occupying a huge amount of mainland territory to the north of the grasslands. Somewhere up towards the north of the grasslands is also the Palladium of Desires and the Devil's Mark (which now projects affects in a many mile radius). You have a citadel with 1000 (if I remember correctly) summoners + supernatural summons in the edge of the mountains on the western edge of the grasslands. You have roaming bands of Western Empire slavers traveling up from the south. You have a Tusker demigod roaming the grasslands. At this point, the centaurs, who used to roam the grasslands along with the buffalo and antelope, have given up on the grasslands and have moved into the forests of the core of the Northern Wilderness, because places that horses sometimes have trouble navigating easily is a wonderful place for centaurs to live compared to the grasslands now. I'm sure living in the woods and competing with the coyles for resources is a good life for them. It is certainly good if you wish to remove centaurs from the world, because you really dislike horse people (or whatever).

I expect some of the feeling of "claustrophobia" about continued cluttering of the world depends on what portions of the world appeal to you and whether you see newer published books as making (world building) sense. Personally, I use the books that I started out with and am very selective about what I use from others. For example, the only thing I have actually taken from the Eastern Territories book is the Coalition of Merchants. Good thing I got it as part of a pdf bundle.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

The Dark Elf wrote:If LotD 3, Lopan, Phi, LotSW, OK books all came out I think I would be a little sad. The regions are then written up.

I've never really understood this point of view. Even when PB creates a location it is always a kilometer wide and a millimeter deep so there is plenty for a GM to add in terms of culture or additional locations and NPCs. Then there is also the option of just ignoring and replacing with your own creation. Now I will absolutely agree with you on the idea that they should spend more time on culture and less on Geography. I tend to phrase it as have a complete creation before you move on to creating something else.

As for the new continent, just create it.

Hotrod wrote:I respect the desire to keep enough wiggle room for GMs to create what they want, and I think this is already the case in most areas. Some examples:
The map I made of the Western Empire looks crowded at first glance, and it is, with 13 regions and about 50 provinces, each with a provincial/regional capital city. However, the book is also clear that there are a lot of cities that are not provincial or regional capitals, and many of these other cities are larger than their provincial or regional capitals. There's a whole section of the book dedicated to helping GMs create their own cities.

The Eastern Territoryis mostly empty, and while there are quite a few settled spots in it, there is a lot of wilderness with opportunities for a GM to create locations and even regions.

The Great Northern Wilderness has a lot of space to play with, even in its most densley-populated areas around the Algor Mountains. There's a lot of flexibility for a GM to create more places, towns, cities, and even small nations. Even in the west around Kiridin and the Shadow Colonies, there's a lot of flexibility.
The Land of the Damned has a ton of space, and while I've mapped out a bunch of it based on text descriptions, it wouldn't be hard to interpret some of those locations differently, nor would it be hard to invent new places and things to put in there.

That said, there are some places that seem a bit crowded and perhaps so well-defined that they might impede a GM who wants to create new features that are still canon-compliant. Some examples:
Bizantiumis pretty well-defined, though there's some space for GMs to add in minor settlements.
Timiro seems to have every city, town, village, fortress, and highway mapped in great detail.
The Floenry Isles seem very defined. While adding a few hamlets here or there wouldn't change much, there's not a lot a GM can add without messing with the canon description.
The Isle of Bletherad and the Isle of the Cyclops (which is actually an archipelago) are likewise very defined, as is the Island at the Edge of the World and Lemuria.

In terms of regions I haven't mapped yet, namely Nimro, the Baalgor Wastelands, and the Yin-Sloth Jungles, they're a mixed bag; all seem to have plenty of space, but also have certain areas that seem quite specifically defined. Adding in major cities wouldn't feel right for these regions, but I could see some latitude for towns, villages, hamlets, and even a small city-state here or there.

I don't see an issue with having regional sourcebooks for the remaining regions that would stop a GM from creating new content. Even for highly-defined areas, a GM can always make changes, but highly-defined regions are very much the exception in Palladium Fantasy. The question I think Palladium and authors should ponder is, "how much leeway do I want to leave for GMs to fill in?" Personally, I think Western Empire did the best out of all the books in balancing lots of specific detail while giving GMs the latitude and tools to create their own cities.

I just want to say again that your maps are outstanding. Great work on these.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

Yeh - I can create anything I want sure but we are talking about what we want to see from the books. I am also talking about creating nations-if I was to do this in the western empire I would be overwriting the content already there which again anyone can do but isnt something I want to. I like to use material as canon and extremely dislike disregarding canon (almost an OCD to that effect). Remember these are just opinions. Each to their own.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Reagren Wright

When I first started running Palladium Games back in 1990, I pretty much kept my players in Timiro and the Eastern Territory. Timiro was easily mapped
out and I populated it full on NPCs and stated out people (some of which are official cannon which you can see in Rifter #63 :wink: :D ). ET I just
started making stuff up. A small portion ended up in Island of Lopan (which is in the Lopan Raw edition as of right now). However, lots of my adventures
took place in made up areas. Like the Kingdom of Oldoon, a kingdom on the Old Kingdom River that banned magic users and prohibited magic
weapons/items of any sorts. Anyone caught by their mind mages had their magic stuff confiscated and later given to the Great Horn Dragon that
protected the city from his cave. Years later when the offical Eastern Territory book came out, I had mixed feelings about it because none of my cities and
kingdoms made sense anymore (except the one elf one I was able to retro-fit into the Kingdom of Raf-Chalon, see Rifter 84) and Fog City was revised to
become the city of Lythe Anore (Island of Lopan), and 90% of the rest I could never figure out a way to make them work alongside the cannon material.
Now I could still run the stuff if I wanted to with my friends during game night, but at the same time I tried really hard to work on the stuff that's good
enough for a Rifter or possible manuscript submission. So yeah, I get why some people feel very personal about their homebrew stuff as I (and others)
canonize and give shape to the Palladium Fantasy World under Kevin's approval. But if you want to make an adventure town (castle or whatever) that you
want to plop down somewhere on the Island of Bizantium go right ahead. I know Bizantium like the back of my hand (literally) and at no point would I
ever tell someone, "Hey I wrote and defined that kingdom, that city can't be there". Ian Herbert in Rifter #77 and #78 did this really cool write up of the
city of Khemennu. I really like some of the stuff he did in this submission, great ideas, adventure hooks, and concepts. Personally, I don't think a city
home to a million inhabitants fits into the Old Kingdom and would never write anything like that, but hey it's Kevin's sandbox and he has the power to
make it so, and Ian should feel thrilled that submission made it into the Rifter. Trust me it's not an easy task. I decided to take a chance and created a
frozen wasteland based on the Artic circle and Kevin agreed with me (added a few more details) and now you have the Great Ice Shelf just north of
Bizantium. Take a chance on something and see if it pays for yeah.

And yes, please create new and wonderful content and places for your players to visit, adventure, and try not to get killed. Kevin and I love to hear
adventure stories that take place in GMs homebrew places. Just because I can never include the Kingdom of Oldoon in anything I write for Palladium or
run it in a convention setting, doesn't mean I can't still get some enjoyment out of the work that went into creating it more than 25 years ago (God I'm
old) with my Monday night players.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Reagren Wright wrote:Ian Herbert in Rifter #77 and #78 did this really cool write up of the city of Khemennu.

Thanks for the mention! Yeah, there are things that don't quite work about putting a city so large in the Old Kingdom, but this thread shows part of the reason I put it there. My primary solution for that issue was the pilgrimage - Khemennu doesn't have a population of over two million, but it's numbers swell to that number only during the annual pilgrimage/festival time. But it is still absolutely massive! The published canon doesn't exactly stand up to scrutiny either, and I don't mind that too much - it's a fantasy world, and to me building interesting locations that are fun to play in is more important than simulating reality, though I agree there should be some sort of compromise between the two.
Khemennu really should be in the Western Empire - no other nation could support a population like that. Perhaps the city could replace the Temple of Shandala in the Old Kingdom Frontier. Or in the Middle Kingdoms, as the centre of power for the rebellious religious fanatics there. But with the Western Empire already fully described, Khemennu must be somewhere else. Same goes for putting it into any of the written-up nations - there's no room left. I can add towns and small cities to my heart's content, but a megacity of two million people? It overshadows everything around it, and feels like if it was really there it would have been mentioned in the book! Yes, in my own game I can do whatever I like, but a Rifter article I think should be able to fit with established canon. The last page of my article talks about other locations a GM might want to relocate Khemennu to if they prefer.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”