Paladin leveling up

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Ironpig II
D-Bee

Paladin leveling up

Unread post by Ironpig II »

I’m now having issues finding (in main book) whether a paladin’s PPE and SDC increase per level?
Any help would be great.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Re: Paladin leveling up

Unread post by The Beast »

SDC generally never levels up for anyone. If your PPE is meant to level up there's usually a notation in the CC's description in the Abilities & Bonuses section. It's usually the last one
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I don't think the Paladin levels up in PPE. It's not a class that is steeped in magic so what little the Paladin has at graduation is it. This funny since the Demon Death Blow uses up a random amount of PPE so it's conceivable that the power works sometimes and other times doesn't. SDC would only increase if the character picked up a skill that grants SDC as part of it. Then you'd roll and add that. But doesn't everyone max out SDC at the beginning?

-Vek
"SDC is just extra hit points. I dislike it."
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

i'm not sure where it says the DDB uses up PPE. it mentions it draws on it, but i can't find a cost anywhere. then again, the whole class is kinda.....abstractly explained.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Orin J. wrote:i'm not sure where it says the DDB uses up PPE. it mentions it draws on it, but i can't find a cost anywhere. then again, the whole class is kinda.....abstractly explained.

pg89 of PF2E (5th Printing) it is at the very end of section 3 of Special Palladin Training & Mastery as "Note: The demon blow draws on 3d6 of the character's P.P.E. Reserve of mystic, inner energy and can be considered a magical attack"
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

ShadowLogan wrote:
Orin J. wrote:i'm not sure where it says the DDB uses up PPE. it mentions it draws on it, but i can't find a cost anywhere. then again, the whole class is kinda.....abstractly explained.

pg89 of PF2E (5th Printing) it is at the very end of section 3 of Special Palladin Training & Mastery as "Note: The demon blow draws on 3d6 of the character's P.P.E. Reserve of mystic, inner energy and can be considered a magical attack"

ah, that's why. my DTF copy is second printing. they should probably get that extra 2D6 per level instead of one-time then, really.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Ironpig II wrote:I’m now having issues finding (in main book) whether a paladin’s PPE and SDC increase per level?
Any help would be great.

In the PF RPG 2nd ed 1st printing the Paladin's the demon death blow does not take any PPE to do it.

Looking at what SL wrote, it seams that they changed this but didn't give a level up bonus for PPE to compensate for having it cost something now.

The only place I can remember right now that has something similar are the 'chi' deathblow in the Japan WB in the samurai class and a few other mystical fighter classes. And they, in the 1st printing, are just like the PF2 Paladin's text (like it was C&P'ed then mod'ed a bit) Where the blow doesn't cost anything and there isn't a level up PPE boost.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Veknironth wrote:-Vek
"SDC is just extra hit points. I dislike it."

If the game were better designed, SDC would increase with level, but Hit Points would not; even their descriptions in the game books make it clear that SDC is a combination of training and experience, while HP is supposed to just be health, once personal SDC is introduced.

But, that is not the game we have.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Lord Malachdrim
Wanderer

Unread post by Lord Malachdrim »

So just leave HP equal to PE and do the +1d6 as sdc.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good grudge.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I think would be cool if Palladin get abilites at level ,9 and 12 like for example Pain tolerance,or Born lucky,I got them from Rifter 81 Super sleuth abilites,but it only wokrs if they can facing a Supernatural evil monsters.

What do you think?
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

TBH, as a level-based system, Palladium is TERRIBLY front-loaded. It's why various class-changing schemes in the system work so poorly... you get 90% of your class at level 1, and the level advancement stuff isn't that compelling.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

Mark Hall wrote:TBH, as a level-based system, Palladium is TERRIBLY front-loaded. It's why various class-changing schemes in the system work so poorly... you get 90% of your class at level 1, and the level advancement stuff isn't that compelling.

it's getting entirely off-topic at this point, but my solution for class changing being so front loaded has always been 1:You only gain new skills that are directly required by the class and secondary skills according to the first leveling up of your new class instead of the skills gained at first level, and 2: you do not progress in any existing HTH combat skills (including robot combats).
the judgement there being that a first level character was presumably learning their first class for some time without the hectic life of adventure messing with them, and developing the required class features while also having a full-time adventuring life/career limits your development compared so someone able to focus on building a skill-set.

of course, my other solution was not telling anyone at the table it was possible so it only came up like, once.....
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

OT
Just use IQ as the limit of number of skills you can know, or for every 2 levels they go up in the second class they go down one level in the first class.
I also give an xp negative of %20 per extra class, so I will allow 2 class changes for example, but now you get %40 less experience (which goes to maintaining the other classes).
This combined with the IQ limit on number of skills tends to even it out (Old skills can be forgotten to allow new skills mind you).
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Ironpig II wrote:I’m now having issues finding (in main book) whether a paladin’s PPE and SDC increase per level?
Any help would be great.

Without going through my various versions of the TSR product... I'm pretty sure they don't have PPE and SDC...

Now, PFRPG's Palladin... other than the bonus PPE during creation, no I don't see a Man at Arms' PPE (in general) increasing as you level.
As for SDC, unlike HPs, SDC does not (for most OCCs/RCCs/PCCs) grow as you level. If you want more SDC, take a Physical skill.

Given that it has been almost a decade since I last sat down to really go through the PFRPG books, I could be wrong.
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

SDC do not get level ups.
This is something that applies to all PB chars across the board.
If there are any races(or classes) which the SDC increases, that that is an artifact of (and limited to) that race (or class).
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”