Ranger OCC & Long Bow

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Ironpig II
D-Bee

Ranger OCC & Long Bow

Unread post by Ironpig II »

So long bows can be used by rangers, but not like a Longbowman OCC, right? they don't get the Kyudo bonuses? or do they?

it says in the ranger occ writeup on p90 that WP long bow is a separate WP skill from WP archery...but then if you look at WP archery "long bow" is listed there....?

please advise.

thanks
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Ranger OCC & Long Bow

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Basically, Longbowmen get Kyudo and its bonuses. on top of WP Longbow.

Rangers can take WP Longbow, which has the same bonuses as WP Archery, but do not get Kyudo bonuses.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Ironpig II wrote:So long bows can be used by rangers, but not like a Longbowman OCC, right? they don't get the Kyudo bonuses? or do they?

it says in the ranger occ writeup on p90 that WP long bow is a separate WP skill from WP archery...but then if you look at WP archery "long bow" is listed there....?

please advise.

thanks

The Ranger O.C.C. description states that you can select the longbow W.P. However, there are no details provided on that W.P. in the skills section.

My interpretation: For the Longbow W.P., use the Archery skill stats, but have them only apply specifically to the longbow. The special abilities the Longbowman gets (firing off-balance firing while riding, et cetera) are not available to Rangers.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. As others have stated, the book is not the clearest.

I've always read it as (and I believe the intent): W.P. Long Bow uses the same bonuses as W.P. Archery, but (as others have said, I think) the skill does not work with other types of bows.

So if you want to use a Long Bow and a Short Bow (or crossbow, or any other bow covered by basic Archery) you need 2 skill selections: W.P. Long Bow and W.P. Archery. If you only W.P. Long Bow and you pick up a short bow, you're using it untrained.

Hope that helps. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”