Next Map Project?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Which region would you like to see mapped next?

1. The Southwest
31%
2. The Floenry Isles
46%
3. The Land of South Winds
15%
4. The Old Kingdom
8%

Total votes: 13

Hotrod
Knight

Next Map Project?

Unread post by Hotrod »

I've been contemplating which region to tackle for my next map project. So far, I have mapped the northern half of the world and a couple of territories in the south. Here are the options I'm contemplating:

1. The Southwest: The Yin-Sloth Jungles, Baalgor Wastelands, and Nimro. This would be the longest project of those remaining, because I'd tackle them all together. Why lump them together? There's no way to map the Yin-Sloth Jungles without including the other two regions and some surrounding territories.
2. The Floenry Isles. This would probably be the fastest and easiest project of the remaining regions I haven't mapped, because essentially all the source material is in a single book.

The above two options are my preference, since they're both well-defined in canon. The last two are possible (and I've already drafted one), but they would be incomplete at best:

3. Land of South Winds: I have a rough draft of the physical geography made, and that's basically it. There's very little to go on in canon as far as cartography is concerned, other than the original world map, the northern sliver of it in Old Ones, and a bit on its southeast peninsula in 1st Edition of High Seas. I could polish up what I have a bit and throw in what little information I have, but that's about it.
4. The Old Kingdom: Much like the Land of South Winds, there's an abundance of peripheral information about what's going on in this region, but it's sketchy and distributed among several sourcebooks: Island at the Edge of the World, Eastern Territories, Old Ones, Western Empire, Nimro, Bletherad, and others.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

Re: Next Map Project?

Unread post by Captain_Nibbz »

Selfishly putting in a vote for The Southwest as it would be the most useful to me at the moment
A good friend will help you hide a body. A best friend will lend you the P.P.E. you need to resurrect the body as a loyal zombie servant.

"If I kept a list of all time worst Sound Off threads, this would be way up there." - Mack
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. I voted Land of the South Winds, but that's primarily for personal reasons. With that said, Southwest is a strong second for me, and probably the most practical (in my opinion, said from the viewpoint of someone who doesn't have to do the work and knows very little of the effort that goes into it).

Floenry Islands may be the easiest, but I'm honestly not sure if it should be its own project. To me it's always been part of the South-Winds. I'm away from my books and notes at the moment, but fairly sure at least a couple of the islands are South-Winds colonies, the pirates have South-Winds connections, and I believe the strait between the islands and the South-Winds peninsula is a major shipping route (also pirates). This is going from memory of a few years ago though.

Your maps are awesome though and I'll trust you know the best way to do them. I just wanted to provide a viewpoint you may not have considered. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Floenry Isl

(but I'll take a basic old kingdom land sculpt too. i can fill it in as i go...)
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Yeah, I think the floenry isles would be good too, because I think they would look cool.
Chris
Explorer

Unread post by Chris »

South Winds for me.

Seriously, that region needs it's own book. It's one of the only major regions with nothing canon on it but for what you see at the edge of a map in the Old Kingdom book.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Chris wrote:South Winds for me.

Seriously, that region needs it's own book. It's one of the only major regions with nothing canon on it but for what you see at the edge of a map in the Old Kingdom book.

That's one of the reasons why I would prefer the floenry isles, so he can do lotsw properly if/when the book comes out.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Chris wrote:South Winds for me.

Shameless self-plug, but I have a bare geography map of the Land of South Winds among my backer-exclusive content on my Patreon Page.

If I were to take a stab at South Winds, I'd probably start with what I have, bring the water/bathymetry up to my current standards, add in some jungle, and throw in the cities/towns from High Seas 1st Edition and Timiro. I'd do up some symbols/heraldry, throw it in there, and then call it a day. It'd be pretty sparse and empty next to my Timiro map.

I get the feeling that your desire is more for a book on the Land of South Winds than a map. I share the same wish.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

The Southwest and the Floenry Islands are the only areas that have been fully explored in books. The other two are kind of pointless since you can't put any real cannon info into them.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Whiskeyjack wrote:The Southwest and the Floenry Islands are the only areas that have been fully explored in books. The other two are kind of pointless since you can't put any real cannon info into them.

I wouldn't quite call them pointless; there is substantial canon information on them, especially the Old Kingdom. Bletherad's maps show where cities/ruins are, Old Ones detail the Old Kingdom nearby Timiro, Eastern Territories describes some of the terrain of the eastern Old Kingdom, and you can find more details in Nimro, The Island at the Edge of the World, and some other books as well. It's just patchy and somewhat contradictory.

The Land of South Winds has less information published about it, but there's enough for a rough hack at it (which I've taken).
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Those areas might not be pointless, but I do agree with Whiskyjack that it makes much more sense to map out the areas that have full canon information about them first. With the Old Kingdom we would by necessity be looking at a lot of your own homebrewed ideas and guesses, or just a terrain-only map. And there's no way to know whether any of the cities on the Library maps have any ruins remaining - after 8000 years one could assume that (barring any magical jiggery-pokery or outside influence) there would be pretty much nothing left of any of them. And the Land of the South Winds would look weirdly empty where we can presume there would be plenty of settlements.

My vote goes to the Floenry Isles!
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Braden Campbell

Interesting thought re The Floenries: there's no mention of volcanoes (the Palladium world on the whole seems pretty tectonically dead) so they are 'continental shelf islands'?

I only ask, because we'll need to guesstimate how deep the waters around the archipelago are, and where the ocean floor drops away... because, access the sunken treasure. ;)
Braden, GMPhD

Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Braden Campbell wrote:Interesting thought re The Floenries: there's no mention of volcanoes (the Palladium world on the whole seems pretty tectonically dead) so they are 'continental shelf islands'?

I only ask, because we'll need to guesstimate how deep the waters around the archipelago are, and where the ocean floor drops away... because, access the sunken treasure. ;)

I hadn't really thought about that, but it does make sense that they would be on the continental shelf. Drawing that shouldn't be difficult.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Braden Campbell

They actually look to me they could have been a single, small landmass at some distant point, that was broken apart... especially the eastern islands with all the ruins on them (Enry, Grimbor, Laird, and East Mnn).
Braden, GMPhD

Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

Being a tropical sea as well, it is possible that the smaller islands are reef formed.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”