Poisons

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Soldier of Od
Hero

Poisons

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Looking at the poisons in the Palladium fantasy book suddenly made me think: The ingestive poisons take 2-8 melees to take effect. But the injected ("blood") poisons and contact poisons don't mention a time. We have always played it as they take effect immediately after being hit with a poison arrow or whatever (presuming the victim fails to save), but it occurs to me now that maybe that isn't the case. Almost all of the injected poisons do a one-time-only bout of damage, only a rare few (like Witchbane) do damage over multiple melees. This means that "negate poison" type powers are useless against almost all injected poisons, as the damage is already done. But if there is a delay between exposure and the effect, then negate poison suddenly becomes much more useful. How do you guys play it?
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Hotrod
Knight

Re: Poisons

Unread post by Hotrod »

I always treated them as insta-effective unless stated otherwise. You make a good point, and I can see an argument for making them take effect after 1 melee round or two. However, this introduces an additional layer of book-keeping, which I prefer to minimize.

I guess a fair compromise could be to ask a player if he/she plans on using a power/antidote. If so, give them the time. If not, make it insta-effective and move on?
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

I redid the poisons a bit and had the poisons still do damage, and the damage is spread over their PE in rounds (so a pe of 10 means 150 seconds for all the damage to be done, and (damage/pe) is how much damage they take per round, so a person with a high PE has a higher chance of survival, but I also added a negatives token depending on the poison that also gives negatives to actions while poisoned and negate poison will immediately stop damage and remove the negatives (soothing touch will also remove the negatives)

Its hard to fight when you are trying to not poop out your liver.
Last edited by kiralon on Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Thanks for the feedback, guys.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

One has to go through the liver and be absorbed which takes longer. The other is a direct into the blood stream without filter.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”