Raf-Chalon in Rifter 84!

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hotrod
Knight

Raf-Chalon in Rifter 84!

Unread post by Hotrod »

The enigmatic elf city in the Eastern Territories is getting the Glen Evans treatment in Rifter 84!

I am intrigued.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Re: Raf-Chalon in Rifter 84!

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

And Raf-Chalon(tm) has been trademarked by Palladium. The city appears in Eastern Territory sourceboook and goes unnoticed. I find that funny. I hope everyone enjoys that place because I had a blast giving it life.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Hmm, I thought Raf-Chalon was a kingdom,not just a city.
I will have to do some reading.
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

I will tell Shannon, he will be excited to finally see it. Or not, as it might change a fair bit of his games.
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

kiralon wrote:Hmm, I thought Raf-Chalon was a kingdom,not just a city.
I will have to do some reading.

I suppose you call it a little bit of both.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Well im hoping for kingdom because kingdoms have kings, and having a real elf king with a name and stats would be awesome, Even if it is only a tiny place.
Reagren Wright

Oh yes there is a King, Prince, Mother, and something special.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Looking forward to this one.
Reagren Wright

I have to say I love Mummah artwork he did in Raf-Chalon. The NPCS character look fantastic.
stormlordrising
D-Bee

Unread post by stormlordrising »

I bought the Rifter #84 just for this story. Really look forward to reading it when it comes in.
Reagren Wright

stormlordrising wrote:I bought the Rifter #84 just for this story. Really look forward to reading it when it comes in.

Any opinions or criticism would be appreciated.
Jimbo
Wanderer

Unread post by Jimbo »

Ok, here we go. First off, I thought it was a well written article. It clearly defines the kingdom and the governmental and economic structures of the place. Gives a broad general attitude if the inhabitants towards outsiders. Dammn its an expensive place to visit. Lol. Nit as expemsive as say Llorn but not cheap. The histories of the NPCs are well done and the whole place ties in with waht has been written before very smoothly. O e question, where the hell is the map? It REALLY needs a map defining the kingdom overall and locations of the points of interest. Thats my criticism, no map.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Where's hotrod when you need him ;)
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

kiralon wrote:Where's hotrod when you need him ;)

Eyeballs-deep in another project at the moment (besides the one Glen and I are collaborating on). I wasn't involved in this one. Once I get my hands on Rifter 84, I might give it a go.

Raf-Chalon (the city) is on my Eastern Territories map.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Reagren Wright

Jimbo wrote:Ok, here we go. First off, I thought it was a well written article. It clearly defines the kingdom and the governmental and economic structures of the place. Gives a broad general attitude if the inhabitants towards outsiders. Dammn its an expensive place to visit. Lol. Nit as expemsive as say Llorn but not cheap. The histories of the NPCs are well done and the whole place ties in with waht has been written before very smoothly. O e question, where the hell is the map? It REALLY needs a map defining the kingdom overall and locations of the points of interest. Thats my criticism, no map.

Thanks for the kind words and critique. Sorry my map making skills are as my players
will contest TERRIBLE. I even bought a map making program for my computer and
couldn't make heads or tails of it. That why I enjoy having Will do such things for me
and I try to provide as much details to let G.M.s be able to develops such places for
themselves. I'm hoping someone does come along and makes a map of Raf-Chalon but
also of the capital city of Lopan. Then again. Kevin didn't do a map of the Garden of
the Gods and left it much to the imagination of the G.M.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Reagren Wright wrote:
Jimbo wrote:Ok, here we go. First off, I thought it was a well written article. It clearly defines the kingdom and the governmental and economic structures of the place. Gives a broad general attitude if the inhabitants towards outsiders. Dammn its an expensive place to visit. Lol. Nit as expemsive as say Llorn but not cheap. The histories of the NPCs are well done and the whole place ties in with waht has been written before very smoothly. O e question, where the hell is the map? It REALLY needs a map defining the kingdom overall and locations of the points of interest. Thats my criticism, no map.

Thanks for the kind words and critique. Sorry my map making skills are as my players
couldn't make heads or tails of it. That why I enjoy having Will do such things for me
and I try to provide as much details to let G.M.s be able to develops such places for
themselves. I'm hoping someone does come along and makes a map of Raf-Chalon but
also of the capital city of Lopan. Then again. Kevin didn't do a map of the Garden of

I should also point out that doing up a city map from scratch that looks plausible is a daunting prospect. My recommendation is to use the Medieval Fantasy City Generator, a fantastic tool that you can use to create cities according to your desired parameters in a few seconds (with a 3D visualizer to boot). I've experimented with using it as a basis for making my own city map.

Even so, the biggest nice-looking fantasy city map I've ever seen would be the home for ~20k people (by the way, you should totally check out that city and click it a couple times to zoom in; it's amazing). Palladium's cities tend to be a lot larger than that, which makes them effectively impossible to map in a way that's useful to players and GMs.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Chris
Explorer

Unread post by Chris »

Is this going to be considered Official Palladium Canon?
Jimbo
Wanderer

Unread post by Jimbo »

Thank you Reagren and Hotrod for your input. And yes, it drives me bonkers that Palladium fantasy doesnt include more maps. Thus why I love Hotrods work and look forward to seeing more of it.
Reagren, I had not completely read your article when I made my last post so please allow an addendum. The NPCs are well thought out and presented. They are very believable. I love the Repository and the story behind it. Personally a big fan of the Dwarves, ask my players. Lol. But thats not truly relevant here.
May I say, DAMN SIR! Fine work on the Hook, Line and Sinkers. Those are some of the best HLS's I have ever seen published.
In closing, Well done sir, well done. Uh
Reagren Wright

Hotrod wrote:
Reagren Wright wrote:

I should also point out that doing up a city map from scratch that looks plausible is a daunting prospect. My recommendation is to use the Medieval Fantasy City Generator, a fantastic tool that you can use to create cities according to your desired parameters in a few seconds (with a 3D visualizer to boot). I've experimented with using it as a basis for making my own city map.

Even so, the biggest nice-looking fantasy city map I've ever seen would be the home for ~20k people (by the way, you should totally check out that city and click it a couple times to zoom in; it's amazing). Palladium's cities tend to be a lot larger than that, which makes them effectively impossible to map in a way that's useful to players and GMs.

City Generator is the program I downloaded on my computer and couldn't get to work. I couldn't even understand the tutorial. Which is why I work better with words. As for Raf-Chalon becoming cannon--"At this time I can neither confirm nor deny that information."
stormlordrising
D-Bee

Unread post by stormlordrising »

Reagren Wright wrote:
stormlordrising wrote:I bought the Rifter #84 just for this story. Really look forward to reading it when it comes in.

Any opinions or criticism would be appreciated.

Thank you. I really enjoyed reading all the article and the people and history involved it brought back good memories of The Rifter that I havent had in a long time. Great job. I dont like maps so much LOL so no map was needed.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

What are the Magic weapons in it?
Reagren Wright

They are in a building called the Repository located in the southeast corner of the kingdom on a 6 acre fenced in property (page 29 of Rifter #84.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Do you think ther will be a Eastern territory 2?
With the Info from Rifter 84,maybe adding some new Towns or a Kingdom,a few npcs,some Magic from Rifter becoming canon and some Adventures ideas I think it can wokr.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

gaby wrote:Do you think ther will be a Eastern territory 2?
With the Info from Rifter 84,maybe adding some new Towns or a Kingdom,a few npcs,some Magic from Rifter becoming canon and some Adventures ideas I think it can wokr.

Since Lopan is part of the Dominion of Man, you might consider it an "Eastern Territory 1.5." I wouldn't expect to see an Eastern Territory 2 book.
As far as I know, there's no plan in the works to return to the Eastern Territories. What might change that would be if Kevin decided to make a "Wolfen Wars" book, series, or strategy game.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Reagren Wright

Agreed

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”