Palladin Varient

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Palladin Varient

Unread post by SirSpamHammer »

Where do you find the Palladin variant of Holy Palladin in the rulebook?

Is it in one of the Rifters magazines?
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Palladin Varient

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I believe it's in Dragons and Gods. Holy Palladin of Rurga.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

https://palladiumbooks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=77779

According to them, the class is featured in the Eastern Territory book.

I'll have to purchase that one.

Thanks for your help anyway,
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

The goddess of truth and justice is a murderer, so I don't put much faith in her followers.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

I haven't properly read about her, yet. I just thought being a Holy Palladin was cool. Not much choice with deity.....I suspect a lot of deities are murderous though.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

The goddess Rurga in a nutshell:

"He told me my butt didn't look fat in these jeans, so I stabbed that heretic through his lying heart.

Worship me!"
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Is Rurga the only deity you can follow if you want to be a Holy Palladin?

Edited to make more sense.
Last edited by SirSpamHammer on Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Hotrod wrote:The goddess Rurga in a nutshell:

"He told me my butt didn't look fat in these jeans, so I stabbed that heretic through his lying heart.

Worship me!"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Worship me!"

TBH, I think the actual truth is even more ****** up than that.

"He said he loved me with all of his heart, but he also loved our unborn child a bit, so I killed him for lying to me."

I mean, it wasn't even a little white lie like "Your butt is fine in those jeans"... it was a "I love you completely" and that not being 100% truthful BECAUSE YOU ALSO LOVE YOUR CHILDREN.

That is deeply, deeply ****** up.

(BTW: My headcanon is that Kalba is the murdered husband, which is part of why Lista has a facility with magic)
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Mark Hall wrote:

Worship me!"

"He said he loved me with all of his heart, but he also loved our unborn child a bit, so I killed him for lying to me."

I mean, it wasn't even a little white lie like "Your butt is fine in those jeans"... it was a "I love you completely" and that not being 100% truthful BECAUSE YOU ALSO LOVE YOUR CHILDREN.

(BTW: My headcanon is that Kalba is the murdered husband, which is part of why Lista has a facility with magic)

Yeah, I was going for a more flippant characterization. The actual story is seriously messed up. What's even more messed up is that her alignment is Principled, even though she:
-Attacked and killed an unarmed foe (her husband)
-Harmed an innocent (her husband)
-Clearly didn't work well in a group (her marriage)
-Betrayed a friend (her husband)

She and her whole religion can get bent as far as I'm concerned. They're an excellent example of how people can do despicable things while thinking themselves righteous.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

Hotrod wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:

Worship me!"

Yeah, I was going for a more flippant characterization. The actual story is seriously messed up. What's even more messed up is that her alignment is Principled, even though she:
-Attacked and killed an unarmed foe (her husband)
-Harmed an innocent (her husband)
-Clearly didn't work well in a group (her marriage)
-Betrayed a friend (her husband)

She and her whole religion can get bent as far as I'm concerned. They're an excellent example of how people can do despicable things while thinking themselves righteous.

In my opinion it is another example of a pretty simple thing (from 1st Edition) that got totally ruined when they decided to write/sell more books. The Sect of Rurga is probably the lowest magic set of deities and wonderful if you are just running off of what was in the gods section of the original/revised core book, because their lack of magic made them stand out. Or maybe you just wanted a lower magic setting. Just another reason I use very few of their books in my games. They are interesting to read, but I would rather have the more bare bones world without all the crazy (crazier?) crap that got packed into it as time went on.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

I don't know. From a world-building perspective, the Sect of Rurga's militant adherence to truth is interesting. I know of a game session in which the antagonist was some kind of holy messenger of Rurga. As she was gearing up for the big public duel with one of the player characters, she was talking trash, and one of the players caught her in a lie and publicly called out her goddess to account.

The GM was caught off guard. In lieu of the big climactic duel, Rurga reached out her power and her Holy Palladin went *poof*

That was far more epic and memorable than a slugfest would have been.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

I would prefer more choice if I were seriously going to pick a Holy Palladin in somebody else's game. I think the Spirits of Light sound more interesting.
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

Did a quick check, the core book doesn't specify a god or even an alignment (it actually points out that you can have diabolic palladins!) but does require adherence to the code of chivalry. Going off that most gods aligned against supernatural evils are probably fair game to serve, but you should run it by your GM beforehand regardless.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Holy Palladin's of Rurga, get powers specific to Rurga.

If I go Holy Palladin of another god......like Horus the Great Sphinx. I think my Palladin could be tailor made. Taking some sort of power from him.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

SirSpamHammer wrote:Holy Palladin's of Rurga, get powers specific to Rurga.

If I go Holy Palladin of another god......like Horus the Great Sphinx. I think my Palladin could be tailor made. Taking some sort of power from him.

That's actually a pretty neat idea. If I were in charge of writing up a 3rd Edition, I'd do something like this for the Palladin (and swap all its skills with the Knight). This also opens up the possibility for Palladins of dark gods, which could be fun, too.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Hotrod wrote:
SirSpamHammer wrote:Holy Palladin's of Rurga, get powers specific to Rurga.

That's actually a pretty neat idea. If I were in charge of writing up a 3rd Edition, I'd do something like this for the Palladin (and swap all its skills with the Knight). This also opens up the possibility for Palladins of dark gods, which could be fun, too.

Like Set, Amon, Ammit and Bez....
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

I've always run my palladans as clerical knights with abilities that match up to their patron God. **** off your god? Your special abilities disappear.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

My Palladins have a modified hth that isn't as good as paladin without the deific bonuses. Mostly at each level the hth gives a lesser bonus, and then a choice of a deific bonuses at each level that are lost if the paladin abandons his god. Aura of holiness (+1 ar to all within 10ft if good and -1 if bad, that sort of stuff)
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Whiskeyjack wrote:I've always run my palladans as clerical knights with abilities that match up to their patron God. **** off your god? Your special abilities disappear.

Had a Paladin (spelling it the way I'm used to.) of the more traditional Egyptian god Horus (Reason why I suggested it.) in a Dungeons and Dragons game once. My Paladin lets some official holy scrolls fall into the hands of evil pc (Or at least somebody that wasn't aligned with my god.) and I was told by Horus himself that I couldn't use the Lance for a month. I was also given a warning about the overuse of Detect Evil.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”