Gnomes & Psionics

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Gnomes & Psionics

Unread post by SirSpamHammer »

So, I rolled low on the Psionics Table getting Major Psionics for my Gnome character and then calculate they're I.S.P's. I got 17 (+10 M.E.) and then read on Psionics for Gnomes and it says.... None. Just to be sure, does this mean they don't get Psionics at all (Such a shame after rolling that well for it.) or they just don't get a bonus for it?
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Gnomes & Psionics

Unread post by Kraynic »

Gnomes (as a race) can't have psionics.

1E had a page of charts very near the beginning of the book with all the core races, whether they could get psionics, distance of nightvision, core book OCC limitations, and how many dice they got for each stat (along with a couple other minor things). That was a nice reference that seems to be missing from the 2E book.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Right, do they still possess I.S.P.s or is that just silly?
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

SirSpamHammer wrote:Right, do they still possess I.S.P.s or is that just silly?

No ISP unless your a psi or the like (usually).
Though your GM of course can make a waiver.
There isn't much use for ISP though unless your a psi in PF. There aren't a lot of things you can use ISP on in the game anyway and precious few of them are available in the PF setting.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

ISP is still used for healers and illusionists in first ed, not just psionicists.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

kiralon wrote:ISP is still used for healers and illusionists in first ed, not just psionicists.

Hence why I said "psi or the like (usually)"
ISP powers:
Psionics
Nega-psionics/anti-psi
1e healing
1e illusions
Rifts China Chi abilities, powers and skills
Rifts China Chi-Gung abilities
Phase Powers
Oni Powers
Can fuel TW devices
Powers Mechanoid Magic
And I'm sure a few even more obscure things that I can't think of off the top of my head right now.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

While not on the topic of Gnomes.....

I'd like to know if it's okay to use the Psyscape book to pick some of the newer powers after having rolled Major Psionics on the random Psionics table or is this book just for pure Psionics.

BTW, this for my female human Palladin..... Lady Amethyrst Thompson. She got lucky with Psionics.
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

SirSpamHammer wrote:While not on the topic of Gnomes.....

I'd like to know if it's okay to use the Psyscape book to pick some of the newer powers after having rolled Major Psionics on the random Psionics table or is this book just for pure Psionics.

BTW, this for my female human Palladin..... Lady Amethyrst Thompson. She got lucky with Psionics.

Check with your GM. Some people see the megaversal system as more megaversal than others.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

As GM myself. I think it's interesting besides, these are just test characters.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

About the Penalty for having Psionics when that isn't your chosen O.C.C. For example, my Human Palladin is a Major Psionic. All bonus's for her O.C.C. Skills are now halved and she can only taken half as many (Rounded Down) O.C.C. related Skills while her Secondary Skills are unaffected.

Are the bonus's per level effected by this at all?

BTW, does the interactive character sheet account for this or will I need to mentally halve them in play. Of course, I can only halve the O.C.C. Bonus's.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

SirSpamHammer wrote:About the Penalty for having Psionics when that isn't your chosen O.C.C. For example, my Human Palladin is a Major Psionic. All bonus's for her O.C.C. Skills are now halved and she can only taken half as many (Rounded Down) O.C.C. related Skills while her Secondary Skills are unaffected.

Are the bonus's per level effected by this at all?

BTW, does the interactive character sheet account for this or will I need to mentally halve them in play. Of course, I can only halve the O.C.C. Bonus's.

Greetings and Salutations. My understanding of the "half" rule is that it only affects the O.C.C. bonuses. So, using a Palladin as the following example) ...

Dance would be 30(Base Skill)+5(half of 10 for the O.C.C. bonus)=35% at level 1, and then would advance at +5% per level.
Heraldry base +10% (half of 20) at level one, and advance as normal.

O.C.C. Related Skills would be 1 from Communication and 2 other skills (half of 5, round down fractions).
The 1 communications skill would only gain a +5% bonus (because half of 10). The skill then advances as normal.
Selecting First Aid* would mean the skill is unaffected (half of 0 is still 0). The skill then advances as normal.
Horsemanship: Exotic* would gain only a +2% bonus (half of 5, round down). The skill then advances as normal.

*You do not have to select First Aid nor Horsemanship: Exotic, as these are only examples to demonstrate the bonuses.

If my understanding of the rules are correct, then the Palladium Fantasy Interactive Character Sheet will help as long as you enter the halved number in the O.C.C. column (Column M, the first white field on the Skills sheet). If you enter in the full O.C.C. bonus, then the sheet won't help you and you're on your own. If my understanding of the rule is incorrect, then the sheet won't help you because I didn't know the actual rule. Hope that helps. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Yeah, I kind of figured it's the O.C.C. Bonus that gets halved, because that the only one I can enter on the sheet.

Aside from some problem I was having when I used the percentage symbol after the number and the end result was only adding the bonus with the decimal point on the left. I simply stopped using the percentage symbol & it was fixed. Yet now a couple of hash symbols appear where I type the numbers. It still adds up, but looks wrong.

Shown here....

https://www.dropbox.com/preview/soffice ... e=personal
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

SirSpamHammer wrote:Yeah, I kind of figured it's the O.C.C. Bonus that gets halved, because that the only one I can enter on the sheet.

Aside from some problem I was having when I used the percentage symbol after the number and the end result was only adding the bonus with the decimal point on the left. I simply stopped using the percentage symbol & it was fixed. Yet now a couple of hash symbols appear where I type the numbers. It still adds up, but looks wrong.

Shown here....

Greetings and Salutations. I can't view the dropbox, but if I had to make an educated guess based on my knowledge ...

When you added the percentile, the worksheet translated it to a decimal (as yous stated). Then when you entered in numbers on their own, the spreadsheet kept the decimal places (so, for example, 98.00). As a result, there are too many numbers to properly show. The spreadsheet represents this as ####. To resolve this problem you'll likely either need to remove the decimal places, or simply expand the width of the affected cells (click on column, and drag to make wider so the whole number can display). Farewell and safe journeys.

Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Prysus wrote:
SirSpamHammer wrote:Yeah, I kind of figured it's the O.C.C. Bonus that gets halved, because that the only one I can enter on the sheet.

Shown here....

Greetings and Salutations. I can't view the dropbox, but if I had to make an educated guess based on my knowledge ...

When you added the percentile, the worksheet translated it to a decimal (as yous stated). Then when you entered in numbers on their own, the spreadsheet kept the decimal places (so, for example, 98.00). As a result, there are too many numbers to properly show. The spreadsheet represents this as ####. To resolve this problem you'll likely either need to remove the decimal places, or simply expand the width of the affected cells (click on column, and drag to make wider so the whole number can display). Farewell and safe journeys.

Problem won't go away. I tried deleting everything and the whole box disappeared. So, I might just transfer all the information to another sheet. Thanks for you help anyway.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

SirSpamHammer wrote:Right, do they still possess I.S.P.s or is that just silly?

Gnomes could possess ISP in 1st ed if they took the Healer OCC. This was a clergy OCC which did not require psionics to have, and had you learned powers that emulated them and functioned mostly the same.

Gnomes could also be summoners, since they could manage the Mental Endurance for it. That appears to be no longer the case in 2nd Ed.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

1st ed healers were better healers in combat, as they could do a heal as an action (and were the best class to be to get isp. Double PE to begin with and 10 isp per level).
Priests can only do 1 healing touch every other round, and I believe it takes up the entire round.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

SirSpamHammer wrote:Aside from some problem I was having when I used the percentage symbol after the number and the end result was only adding the bonus with the decimal point on the left. I simply stopped using the percentage symbol & it was fixed. Yet now a couple of hash symbols appear where I type the numbers. It still adds up, but looks wrong.

Greetings and Salutations. So I was testing out a different project on OfficeLibre and learned a couple of things.

1: I believe the % problem can be solved by using the "%" on the top menu. Clicking on the cell with "####" and then clicking the percentile button in the menu should resolve the problem. At least it did when I was troubleshooting. Note: It's possible your error is different, or that while trying to solve the error a different problem arose.

2: I looked into an issue you reported on a different thread regarding the weapons not displaying on the main page. For some reason, OfficeLibre is treating the radial menus in a different manner than Excel. Excel translates the selection to a number, while OfficeLibre decides to treat the first selection as True and all other selections as False. As a result, it can't translate the information it needs to and errors out.

If that doesn't make sense, all it means for you is that OfficeLibre will only recognize the first Weapon selection (and none of the other 4) for display on the main Character Sheet, and this isn't something you can easily fix yourself.

I've spent the last few hours working on a revision for the sheet by creating a drop down menu that you can use to select the number when it errors out. This fix should allow someone using OfficeLibre (as well as possibly other programs) to fix the issue with minimal effort (though not quite as convenient as the radial menu) and shouldn't affect Excel users at all. I will send this Revision to Palladium sometime in the next few days. However, I cannot say for certain when this update/revision will be posted by Palladium (could be days, weeks, or even months), which means it will be of no use to anyone else until they do.

That's all for now. Thanks for your time and patience. Farewell and safe journeys.

SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Thanks for the fix, number 1 worked out.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”