An idea for an alternative world.

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

pblackcrow
Champion

An idea for an alternative world.

Unread post by pblackcrow »

This is an idea for a game world...in an sdc environment, LOW PPE, and I'm talking VERY LOW! Like, only way to naturally restore spent ISP or PPE is to sleeping or meditating on or at a ley lines or nexus or mediaite in the astral. 20 ppe for per hour on a ley line, and times that by however many ley lines are connected to the nexus...and while meditating in the astral plain is technically quicker in plane, you maybe either attracted or possessed. The world he is on/in has a mixture of intelligent and non intelligent Dinosaurs, dire animals, monsters, regular animals, intelligent animals. Cultures include: (wolfen) Roman (non empirical), human Celtics clans, (Dwarves) Norse, (Elves) Greek, Egyptian (only in a more jungles then desert setting because you have a mixture of snake men; lizardmen; frogmen; falconmen; etc also elves; humans; and half-elves), and just a tad bit of asian culture which are also elves. Also 5 gnomish flying/floating India Indian islands. And then you have the orc nomadic cultures of the east and Amazoniandic orcs...in that males are sub to women not from the Amazon river area...and the Amazons carry klingon type weapons, not necessarily a bat'leth, but similar type...Don't know if I should make it a standard thing for the orcs. Probably won't. But then there are the goblins and hobgoblin, traders from the far east that act like Ferengi...Rules of Acquisitions and all. And all cultures know how to forge steal, make plate mail armor, etc. The gnomes, dwarves, and elves know how to make clockwork stuff. However only the elves and gnomes know how to use steam to power stuff. Gnomes know how to fly with the aid of contraptions. There are also a handful of human alchemists who know how to use either steam or clockwork...All of them are located in the Egyptian portion of the world.

Thoughts, opinions, questions, comments?
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Kargan3033
Hero

Re: An idea for an alternative world.

Unread post by Kargan3033 »

pblackcrow wrote:This is an idea for a game world...in an sdc environment, LOW PPE, and I'm talking VERY LOW! Like, only way to naturally restore spent ISP or PPE is to sleeping or meditating on or at a ley lines or nexus or mediaite in the astral. 20 ppe for per hour on a ley line, and times that by however many ley lines are connected to the nexus...and while meditating in the astral plain is technically quicker in plane, you maybe either attracted or possessed. The world he is on/in has a mixture of intelligent and non intelligent Dinosaurs, dire animals, monsters, regular animals, intelligent animals. Cultures include: (wolfen) Roman (non empirical), human Celtics clans, (Dwarves) Norse, (Elves) Greek, Egyptian (only in a more jungles then desert setting because you have a mixture of snake men; lizardmen; frogmen; falconmen; etc also elves; humans; and half-elves), and just a tad bit of asian culture which are also elves. Also 5 gnomish flying/floating India Indian islands. And then you have the orc nomadic cultures of the east and Amazoniandic orcs...in that males are sub to women not from the Amazon river area...and the Amazons carry klingon type weapons, not necessarily a bat'leth, but similar type...Don't know if I should make it a standard thing for the orcs. Probably won't. But then there are the goblins and hobgoblin, traders from the far east that act like Ferengi...Rules of Acquisitions and all. And all cultures know how to forge steal, make plate mail armor, etc. The gnomes, dwarves, and elves know how to make clockwork stuff. However only the elves and gnomes know how to use steam to power stuff. Gnomes know how to fly with the aid of contraptions. There are also a handful of human alchemists who know how to use either steam or clockwork...All of them are located in the Egyptian portion of the world.

Sounds interesting, I'd say go for it, if anything it would make for a nice fan based game world, how would you set it up?
" Ale and Whores, it's not just your reward, it's your Motivation. "
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

pblackcrow wrote:This is an idea for a game world...in an sdc environment, LOW PPE, and I'm talking VERY LOW! Like, only way to naturally restore spent ISP or PPE is to sleeping or meditating on or at a ley lines or nexus or mediaite in the astral. 20 ppe for per hour on a ley line, and times that by however many ley lines are connected to the nexus...and while meditating in the astral plain is technically quicker in plane, you maybe either attracted or possessed. The world he is on/in has a mixture of intelligent and non intelligent Dinosaurs, dire animals, monsters, regular animals, intelligent animals. Cultures include: (wolfen) Roman (non empirical), human Celtics clans, (Dwarves) Norse, (Elves) Greek, Egyptian (only in a more jungles then desert setting because you have a mixture of snake men; lizardmen; frogmen; falconmen; etc also elves; humans; and half-elves), and just a tad bit of asian culture which are also elves. Also 5 gnomish flying/floating India Indian islands. And then you have the orc nomadic cultures of the east and Amazoniandic orcs...in that males are sub to women not from the Amazon river area...and the Amazons carry klingon type weapons, not necessarily a bat'leth, but similar type...Don't know if I should make it a standard thing for the orcs. Probably won't. But then there are the goblins and hobgoblin, traders from the far east that act like Ferengi...Rules of Acquisitions and all. And all cultures know how to forge steal, make plate mail armor, etc. The gnomes, dwarves, and elves know how to make clockwork stuff. However only the elves and gnomes know how to use steam to power stuff. Gnomes know how to fly with the aid of contraptions. There are also a handful of human alchemists who know how to use either steam or clockwork...All of them are located in the Egyptian portion of the world.

My thoughts:
First off, what kinds of themes would you be going for? You're providing a lot of details, but I don't get a sense of a central, underlying theme or collection of themes.

For example, Palladium Fantasy is a fractious world of high adventure. It packs dozens of races, faiths, and nations into a single supercontinent, all of whom are teetering on the edge of local, civil, and/or international wars even as they struggle monsters and beasts at home. Where these powers can't or won't do what must be done, wandering adventurers rise to meet the challenge, and their choices shape destinies large and small.

Rifts is a dystopian, ruined future Earth where people survive by embracing drugs, insanity, pre-apocalypse technology, bargains with alien powers, or the supernatural forces that ruined their world. No-one is safe, because no-one knows what the rifts will bring next.

Warhammer 40k is a grim, dark, gothic, galaxy-scale sci-fi setting where the planet-exterminating religious fanatics fighting for a totalitarian regime are the good guys. Their tagline is, "In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war." Humanity is beset on all sides by forces of aliens and chaos without and corruption and cruelty within.

Having a piece of art that captures what you want your world to be all about is pretty important. The original Rifts book cover did this in spades: technology, magic, and scantily-clad ladies fighting for an alien howling with mad laughter. On the inside, you had cyborgs, American quasi-Nazis with a skull fetish, and giant and flying robots with big guns. Palladium Fantasy (Revised Edition) had what I think was its best cover: a lone knight on a Pegasus flying to meet a Great Horned Dragon in an aerial duel. Warhammer 40k's cover art for its books ooze grim darkness and war.

So yeah, my advice would be to define a theme for your world; it could be much like the Palladium Fantasy's world, or it could be something different, and browse through DeviantArt's fantasy artworks to find something that captures the kind of experience you'd want to create.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
pblackcrow
Champion

Sounds interesting, I'd say go for it, if anything it would make for a nice fan based game world, how would you set it up?[/quote]

I like the idea of having several large islands, like Australia instead of a continent. Although, I may do 2 where the islands have like a mile or 2 between them and with every earthquake they get closer.

And of course I am going to do some generally unexplored places, smaller islands, etc.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Kargan3033
Hero

pblackcrow wrote:Sounds interesting, I'd say go for it, if anything it would make for a nice fan based game world, how would you set it up?

I like the idea of having several large islands, like Australia instead of a continent. Although, I may do 2 where the islands have like a mile or 2 between them and with every earthquake they get closer.

And of course I am going to do some generally unexplored places, smaller islands, etc.

Nice, any idea of what races and cultures you are going to throw into this?, if you like I have a few ideas you might like.
pblackcrow
Champion

Kargan3033 wrote:Nice, any idea of what races and cultures you are going to throw into this?, if you like I have a few ideas you might like.

Well, I've always liked the idea of the bug bears having the IQ of that of the Disney's Gummi Bears (3d6+3), but instead of bouncing they changing into large bears. Also I rather like the idea behind Disney's Gargoyles...though by day become human. Also, perhaps the 2003 TMNT avians. And throw in the Gromek and Harpies to give a bit of challenge for the avians, gargoyles, and gnomes. Change the concept of the faeries around quite a bit to give a more serious demeanor. Faeries, brownies, pixies, sprite, etc. Centars I wish to change the concept of completely and make them more playable and give them the ability to settle down with a master or mistress to actually learn a trade, and be respected at least in the orient and other elven dominated cultures.

I would love to hear your ideas.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Kargan3033
Hero

pblackcrow wrote:
Kargan3033 wrote:Nice, any idea of what races and cultures you are going to throw into this?, if you like I have a few ideas you might like.

Well, I've always liked the idea of the bug bears having the IQ of that of the Disney's Gummi Bears (3d6+3), but instead of bouncing they changing into large bears. Also I rather like the idea behind Disney's Gargoyles...though by day become human. Also, perhaps the 2003 TMNT avians. And throw in the Gromek and Harpies to give a bit of challenge for the avians, gargoyles, and gnomes. Change the concept of the faeries around quite a bit to give a more serious demeanor. Faeries, brownies, pixies, sprite, etc. Centars I wish to change the concept of completely and make them more playable and give them the ability to settle down with a master or mistress to actually learn a trade, and be respected at least in the orient and other elven dominated cultures.

I would love to hear your ideas.

I like your ideas, as for mine I would have humans and elves on the two islands that are getting closer to one another and both the human and elven islands as well as the other islands are heavily over populated and there has been a few battles between the islands as each island's population want to take over the other islands for more living space and the sea around all the islands are heavily infested with sea monsters making sailing a very risky venture and because the seas are so over run with sea monsters all of the islands inhabitants are biding their time to want for an advantage that would led to a good chance of conquering the other islands for more living space as the conditions on each island is disparate for more living space and resources and that there is a lot of unrest on the islands as well as some unexplored islands that may or may not be inhabited but can't really be gotten to because of the sea monsters and lack of resources to build a small fleet of ships as well as supplies to reach them.
pblackcrow
Champion

I like your ideas. However I had thought of something different, and while yes, there will definitely be some islands which are over populated and certainly sea monsters will be encouraged. But in my kingdom, there will be trade, winged beasts of burden, and also magic spell, circles (instead of faerie wings, we use angle feathers, godlings hair, vampires hears, etc), and towers that like pyramids can store power and teleport to another location along a ley line.

I've ever thought about doing some type of black water ooze, green water ooze, and red water ooze, kinda like from The Pirates of Dark Water only not exactly like that and each has certain abilities. Example, red water ooze if ever encountered floating on top of the water to set a flammable things ablaze. Green will mutate any life form it comes into contact with, so, it will sneaks on board ships. Black tents to devour ships rather like the dark water but when consumed the ships and crewmen are teleported to the void. And if all 3 are ever combined, even in small amounts. :demon: LOL!!! That's all I'm going to say.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

pblackcrow wrote:This is an idea for a game world...in an sdc environment, LOW PPE, and I'm talking VERY LOW! Like, only way to naturally restore spent ISP or PPE is to sleeping or meditating on or at a ley lines or nexus or mediaite in the astral.
>snip<

PPE is *produced* by life. If you want to limit it's regeneration, I'd suggest halving (or quartering) the listed rates, and allow it to happen "naturally" when sleeping/resting/meditating.

Keep in mind, in a world with PPE that low, Nexii are going to be major flashpoints, with the "owners" killing all who try to use it (since it will be "low ebb" and easily drained). Ley lines will also be exceedingly short, and probably only provide 2-3 PPE a day.

As a side effect, if PPE is that low, natural healing will also be greatly reduced due to the lower "life levels" in everyone. However, it does not necessarily mean more disease, but any illness would be more acute, and dangerous, since the body would have a harder time fighting it...or maybe not, since the "life levels" would likely also have a similar effect on bacteria, viruses, etc. A world like this, poison is king! ;)
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
pblackcrow
Champion

Please read the full description.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

Guys, we were talking about this post the other day and in our monthly world building sessions when we did our chat. And I know Shannon (PBlackCrow) both as player and as GM. His games are really fun and well thought out.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”