Land of the South Winds

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Bones
Wanderer
Location: Beaverton, Oregon, US, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group

Land of the South Winds

Unread post by Bones »

What book or Rifter issue has the best description of the Land of the South Winds?
Veknironth
Hero

Re: Land of the South Winds

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, the only real description is in the main book. There is an adventure in the Rifter that has a city from the South Winds, but I don't know of any real information on it.

-Vek
"It's southern."
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i believe the adventures on the high seas book has some water going craft for that area, which might give some ideas.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Bones wrote:What book or Rifter issue has the best description of the Land of the South Winds?

Greetings and Salutations. That would depend largely on what you're looking for. However, list of books with references include (but not limited to) ...

PF main book: Handful of notes scattered throughout the book. While the big notes are the ones listed in the World Overview section, there are other notes (and to me) important, scattered throughout the book. I won't list them all here.

Monsters & Animals: Useful for learning what types of monsters and animals live there, as well as a few additional notes (such as climate) about the land towards the beginning.

Dragons & Gods (can be viewed to learn which religions are big there).

Book 2; Old Ones: A map that shows a few of the northeast cities (not named), as well as a few other mentions (most of them minor). On page 173 we learn that LotSW are enemies of Timiro.

Book 3; AotHS: We get mention of LotSW colonies (primarily Oen), small map of the Pendaltor Peninsula, pirates, ships, flag, and a few other minor scattered notes.
Note: 1st Edition also has an adventure that mentions a Prince. We also see various "Royal" references. However, this is NOT printed in Second Edition, and whether or not this should continued to be viewed as canon is questionable.

Book 7; Yin-Sloth Jungles: A few more scattered notes, but nothing of big importance here.

Book 8; Western Empire: Most useful here are the city creation rules. Also a few scattered notes (same as with other books), but nothing really revealing (though combining all the minor notes from the various books does start to form a few patterns).

Book 9; Mount Nimro: As this is a neighbor to LotSW, there's actually quite a few references here. Nothing in great detail, but definitely touched on multiple times in the book.

Book 12; Library of Bletherad: Probably the most update resource we have. Here we learn about the currency and the ruling structure. Pages 46 and 49 also give us additional tidbits of info. There are additional scattered notes, but not as big as the ones already mentioned.

Unofficial (and/or unprinted) information include:

Rifter #17: Stilt City (offers a city and some NPC, I think).
Rifter #27: Palladium Orient (allows you to make Samurai and Ninja type characters in PF, but not really a focus on the South Winds itself).

Ships: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24506
An India reference: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=103608&p=2004851#p2004851

In my opinion the best resources (not including the main book, as that should be a given) are: Library of Bletherad as the most useful, Adventures on the High Seas coming in a solid second place, then Monsters & Animals for third, and Mount Nimro for a weak fourth. After that references start becoming slim pickings. Hope that helps. Farewell and safe journeys to all.

P.S. There's also at least 2 other books where the South Winds is mentioned, but mostly just in passing.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Goblin-Jack
Explorer

Unread post by Goblin-Jack »

Five years on, anyone know if there is any movement on KS writing/adapting/approving a manuscript for this nation of Palladium? Being that it's one of the oldest human kingdoms/realms in PFRPG, and despite being the poorest of the Human Kingdoms, seems to survive as a nation (and even maintain an island colony in the Floenry Isles) when surrounded by Nimro, Old Kingdom monster races and the Yin-Sloth denizens, indicating it must have some kind of current-day mojo that could combine with its ancient human history to make it a very interesting place in which to adventure... (imho)
"Wujcik rules!!!"
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Goblin-Jack wrote:Five years on, anyone know if there is any movement on KS writing/adapting/approving a manuscript for this nation of Palladium? Being that it's one of the oldest human kingdoms/realms in PFRPG, and despite being the poorest of the Human Kingdoms, seems to survive as a nation (and even maintain an island colony in the Floenry Isles) when surrounded by Nimro, Old Kingdom monster races and the Yin-Sloth denizens, indicating it must have some kind of current-day mojo that could combine with its ancient human history to make it a very interesting place in which to adventure... (imho)

Greetings and Salutations. As far as I'm aware, there's no real movement or plans for movement at this time.

Around early 2015 (before POH2015), I submitted a manuscript. I rushed a few parts and some parts were probably rougher than they should have been. If I'm to be honest about it, I doubt the manuscript was considered good enough (though I do still think some of it was very good).

Without going into a lot of details, I'll say that a few months after submission I went into a pretty big depression that lasted for years. For the record, this depression had nothing to do with the manuscript or Palladium. Depression just happens sometimes, even though you can know your life is good on an intellectual level. Since that time, I haven't been quite the same and I've written very, very, very little. Not sure if I have it in me anymore, but I still hold out some hope I'll get back to it.

Recently, I commissioned Will Erwin to make a South Winds map using my manuscript. The process really helped me flesh a lot of things out in my head. If I can ever figure out how to get all those ideas written down, I think I could make it a lot better. Not sure that would actually help it move along since Palladium has so many projects already in the works, but I'd really love to go back and do it right.

However, Will's map did come out amazing, and if the South Winds interests you, then I suggest you head on over to his Patreon page, support, and check it out: https://www.patreon.com/willerwin

Anyways, that's the best update I can provide at this time. I wish it was better news. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Goblin-Jack
Explorer

Unread post by Goblin-Jack »

Prysus wrote:
Goblin-Jack wrote:Five years on, anyone know if there is any movement on KS writing/adapting/approving a manuscript for this nation of Palladium? Being that it's one of the oldest human kingdoms/realms in PFRPG, and despite being the poorest of the Human Kingdoms, seems to survive as a nation (and even maintain an island colony in the Floenry Isles) when surrounded by Nimro, Old Kingdom monster races and the Yin-Sloth denizens, indicating it must have some kind of current-day mojo that could combine with its ancient human history to make it a very interesting place in which to adventure... (imho)

Greetings and Salutations. As far as I'm aware, there's no real movement or plans for movement at this time.

Around early 2015 (before POH2015), I submitted a manuscript. I rushed a few parts and some parts were probably rougher than they should have been. If I'm to be honest about it, I doubt the manuscript was considered good enough (though I do still think some of it was very good).

Without going into a lot of details, I'll say that a few months after submission I went into a pretty big depression that lasted for years. For the record, this depression had nothing to do with the manuscript or Palladium. Depression just happens sometimes, even though you can know your life is good on an intellectual level. Since that time, I haven't been quite the same and I've written very, very, very little. Not sure if I have it in me anymore, but I still hold out some hope I'll get back to it.

Recently, I commissioned Will Erwin to make a South Winds map using my manuscript. The process really helped me flesh a lot of things out in my head. If I can ever figure out how to get all those ideas written down, I think I could make it a lot better. Not sure that would actually help it move along since Palladium has so many projects already in the works, but I'd really love to go back and do it right.

However, Will's map did come out amazing, and if the South Winds interests you, then I suggest you head on over to his Patreon page, support, and check it out: https://www.patreon.com/willerwin

Anyways, that's the best update I can provide at this time. I wish it was better news. Farewell and safe journeys.

Thank you very much for your candor, Prysus, and for the state of things as you see them. Safe journeys to you as well!
"Wujcik rules!!!"

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”