Eyes of Thoth Question

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Eyes of Thoth Question

Unread post by kiralon »

Would you allow eyes of Thoth to break encryption.
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Eyes of Thoth Question

Unread post by Kraynic »

For me, I would say probably not by itself. However, it is going to ensure there is no language barrier to solving it.

I guess it would depend on how you saw the cypher working based on where/who it came from. Is it only using hidden meaning in the words? If so, then maybe it would. If the cypher is built from specific words or letters scattered in the sequence, then I tend to use mathematics as the skill needed to crack it since the literacy is covered. Sometimes I have allowed the use of writing prose and poetry to allow insight into hidden messaging. It just depends on what type of cypher you decide it is.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

It's a simple symbol substitution cypher, and as it's a simple one it's aimed at the players solving it themselves, but i can see the side where they might try eyes of thoth. Was just after some feedback
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

No, I would not allow EoT to break an encryption*.

That would defeat the purpose of an encryption scheme, even a simple one, since its purpose is to obfuscate the written word into message not intended to be legible. EoT's purpose to allow you to understand a written language that is intended to be legible IMHO.

*I would allow someone with the Cryptography Skill to "read" a known cypher to them without needing to take the time to decode when EoT is cast on them, but they'd still have to know what cypher is being used.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I'd say no.

This invocation enables the character to read and understand ALL written languages, modern and ancient, including runes and magic symbols.

If we're going to parse it closely, it lets you understand written languages. Codes and cyphers are not languages. You might pick up some things that you wouldn't otherwise (like magic symbols), but if those symbols are being used in weird ways (i.e. the symbol for magic, in context, means poison. The poison. The poison for Kuzco, the poison chosen especially to kill Kuzco, Kuzco's poison), then it's not going to tell you the meaning behind the symbol.

By way of example (though it's spoken), my work has a self-service machine. It's a PITA whenever people put cash in it, which is rarely. So, when it doesn't have cash, we'll let the staff know by saying "The kiosk is correct." If that were written out (or heard through Tongues), you wouldn't have the context that makes it make sense, you'd just know that the kiosk was correct. It won't tell you who "-B", "her nibs", or "Fred" is on a note, despite all of those possibly being coded references.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Cheers, that's the way I was inclined to go myself but players like to get things to do more than the description says. I try to go with, the spells will do what it specifically says it does, and generally if you are asking then it doesn't say it specifically so no, but it can seem harsh sometimes.
Library Ogre

kiralon wrote:Cheers, that's the way I was inclined to go myself but players like to get things to do more than the description says. I try to go with, the spells will do what it specifically says it does, and generally if you are asking then it doesn't say it specifically so no, but it can seem harsh sometimes.

Hackmaster's Rule #1 is "If the rule is ambiguous, and one interpretation heavily favors the player, rule against the player."

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Lol, I like that one.
Library Ogre

kiralon wrote:Lol, I like that one.

"The OCC says weapon of choice, which is why I started with a greater rune weapon" was the one I saw most often in Rifts.

All Palladium Articles
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

kiralon wrote:Would you allow eyes of Thoth to break encryption.

No.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

No.

Please expand on your one word answer.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Goblin-Jack
Explorer

Unread post by Goblin-Jack »

NMI wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

No.

Please expand on your one word answer.

NMI is back and feeling frisky!

Btw, I agree with the answers above; EoT would not crack an encryption, but a priest of Thoth could, via direct appeal, ask for Thoth to crack it through them (emphasis on "could" and "appeal," no guarantee Thoth would do so, though I suspect he'd find the work of cracking an encryption interesting enough to have a better than 50-50 chance of granting a prayer to do so).

:D
"Wujcik rules!!!"
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Eyes of Thoth only translates languages.
Codes and encryption and scrambles are not languages.

Or to say, It only sees what is plainly there to see, not what is concealed.

It might decode a simple letter replacement encoding. (just writing the text with letters from a different language without actually changing the language being written in. Like using 26 letters from the alphabet to replace the english alphabet while still writing in english.)

But anything more complex would flummox the spell's translation ability.
It totally wouldn't break the type of encryption presented in the Mystic China gamebook. For the reader would have to have knowledge of what chinese history the writer is referencing in the note.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”