1st edition books

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Brad
D-Bee

1st edition books

Unread post by Brad »

I just got a copy of the new foil cover 1st edition book (two, actually) and wanted to complete my set. I have 1st, 1st Revised, Old Ones, and High Seas (bought both in around 1990) and just ordered Further Adventures in the Northern Wilderness, Monsters and Animals, Yin-Sloth, and Island at the Edge of the World. I also currently own Monsters and Animals and Dragons and Gods) both for 2nd edition). My question is what other books for 1st were published? It doesn't look like there was ever a 1st edition of Dragons and Gods, but I could be mistaken. Also, all the books after Island seem to be 2nd-only. Thanks for any help.

And yes, still looking for Adventures in the Northern Wilderness if I can find a copy under $50.
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Re: 1st edition books

Unread post by Kraynic »

Yeah, I think those are about it for 1E.

If you end up wanting pdf versions of the books, note that there is no pdf version of the 1E Monsters and Animals book as far as I know.
Brad
D-Bee

Unread post by Brad »

Okay, thanks. Is it worth buying the later books and converting them? I have a Rifts campaign so they'd at least get used there in some way.
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

My opinion? It depends....

I don't even use everything out of the 1E books. Have you already been filling in parts of the map with your own ideas? If so, then you may not have any need for the sourcebook covering that area. Or maybe you do just to see if there are things you can pull from it.

Some things are fairly different between 1E and 2E, such as what deities are and how they work. In 1E they are powerful dimensional travelers, and are described as leaving power behind like the scent of perfume in the Palladium world just from them passing through. Some of the deities in Palladium are actually dead in other dimensions with their clergy still able to draw power basically from the residual power from their passing, though we are never told which ones this applies to. In 2E, their power mostly stems from having/gaining followers, making them dependent on followers in ways they never were in 1E. So, do you really want/need Dragons and Gods or Garden of the Gods if you don't want to switch to a follower dependent focus of the deities? You might want to crib the various deific blessings, add in some of the forgotten or racial deities that get added. Or maybe you don't have any need of that sort of thing in your games. It will probably just come down to a decision on each book whether it seems like something that will really add to your specific take on the Palladium world or not.

I will say that most (all?) of the Palladium source books are pretty imaginative, and some people buy them just because of that. That doesn't, in my opinion, mean that they are all necessarily useful. However, that is partly due to my starting to fill in some parts of the world map before it was touched by source books.

Probably not the best answer. But I'm probably not the best one to answer this question!
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Kraynic wrote:I will say that most (all?) of the Palladium source books are pretty imaginative

This pretty much covers it imo, if you can afford it and can find them they are generally worth it due to the extra ideas, as with kraynic i filled in missing pieces because i started before all the books were out, but have slowly integrated parts of them into my game. Literally just doing that with garden of the gods now. However if you have the second ed monsters and animals the first ed version isn't really extra value as the entries are the same but the stats are different and mostly the same with the old ones book. The first ed books usually have things in them the second ed ones don't if there is a second ed version but i just like to have both anyway. I have all the first ed books and all the second ed ones except lopan, and i do not regret having any of them, this is also because can be spread chaotically across the books, and you will never know what you will find out in one book, that effects another.
But i have the first ed main books (8), 2 yin sloth jungle and 2 1st ed adventures on the high seas, as these are the books you want for character generation for 1st ed.

And im sorta a first ed guy and convert it all back to 1st ed'ish anyway.
Lord Malachdrim
Wanderer

Unread post by Lord Malachdrim »

There is the Core Book
Book 2 Old Ones
Book 3 Adventures on the High Seas
Book 4 Adventures in the Northern Wilderness
Book 5 Further Adventures in the Northern Wilderness
Book 6 Island at the Edge of the World
Book 7 Yin Sloth Jungles
Monsters and Animals
Arms of Nargah-Tor (which is included in the foil hardcover as a bonus)
Never let the facts get in the way of a good grudge.
Brad
D-Bee

Unread post by Brad »

Reading through Island at the Edge of the World, wish I had this years ago. While I probably won't use 95% of it, very evocative.
Goblin-Jack
Explorer

Unread post by Goblin-Jack »

Brad wrote:Reading through Island at the Edge of the World, wish I had this years ago. While I probably won't use 95% of it, very evocative.

Per Kevin at the Palladium Open House last April, he has a manuscript for an updated, 2E version of Island, so at some point we'll see that coming out (no release date mentioned so far).
"Wujcik rules!!!"
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Goblin-Jack wrote:
Brad wrote:Reading through Island at the Edge of the World, wish I had this years ago. While I probably won't use 95% of it, very evocative.

Per Kevin at the Palladium Open House last April, he has a manuscript for an updated, 2E version of Island, so at some point we'll see that coming out (no release date mentioned so far).

Given that he's had the Mysteries of Magic manuscript for 20 years, and an updated version for 15, I would not hold my breath waiting.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
TheOldDragoon
D-Bee

Unread post by TheOldDragoon »

So, I'm going back through my 1st Edition stuff, and I thought I remembered a Warrior Monk class in 1e. I know it's in 2e, and I know a straight-up Monk appears in Old Ones, but that's not quite the same thing. Was there a 1e version of the Warrior Monk somewhere besides Old Ones or High Seas, which I've looked at and not found?

All in all, I like most things in 1e better than 2e, especially unique HTH skills and the original version of the Druid. Also spells per day over P.P.E., since one could use those 2 spells per day at first level to cast ANY spell, which just isn't possible with P.P.E. costs.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

I'm pretty sure you are thinking of the pacifist monk in the old ones book, otherwise the holy crusader and witch hunter are in yin sloth jungles. Fighting monk was a second ed addition.
TheOldDragoon
D-Bee

Unread post by TheOldDragoon »

kiralon wrote:I'm pretty sure you are thinking of the pacifist monk in the old ones book, otherwise the holy crusader and witch hunter are in yin sloth jungles. Fighting monk was a second ed addition.

Thanks. My memory isn't what it used to be. If I really wanted a Fighting Monk in a 1e game, I suppose I could adapt the 2e one, or just make a N&SS Dedicated Martial Artist and port them in.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

the moo gi gong martial artist was always amusing

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”