Rock Hounding With Earth Elementals

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Rock Hounding With Earth Elementals

Unread post by kiralon »

I do allow it, but
As the elemental is magically passing through rock i don't allow it to grab it while passing through rock, just like using astral travelling to find something. You can find it and not grab it.
It has to be mined, which the elemental will do as well, but i will make the super expensive stuff only be found a couple km's down, so it is a lot of effort to do, so for a usable amount of gantrium for example, it would take around 1d6 years to find some, and then however long to dig down to where it is, preferably 20 km's

Because all the easy to find stuff has been already found. This idea is not new and would have been done for many tens of thousands of years.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

kiralon wrote:I do allow it, but
As the elemental is magically passing through rock i don't allow it to grab it while passing through rock, just like using astral travelling to find something. You can find it and not grab it.
It has to be mined, which the elemental will do as well, but i will make the super expensive stuff only be found a couple km's down, so it is a lot of effort to do, so for a usable amount of gantrium for example, it would take around 1d6 years to find some, and then however long to dig down to where it is, preferably 20 km's

Because all the easy to find stuff has been already found. This idea is not new and would have been done for many tens of thousands of years.

This is, to me, good guidelines. It should be relatively easy to get some stuff ("mundane" valuables, like gold and gems), but the exotic stuff is not going to be quick.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

As the elemental is magically passing through rock i don't allow it to grab it while passing through rock, just like using astral traveling to find something. You can find it and not grab it.

I would agree with this too.
I would also limit the distance the elemental would search in a specific amount of time somehow.
--
According to some rifter text, gantrium is only created in worlds with insanely high amounts of magic. (the absorber text is where I'm thinking this text is.)
--
As an alternative to using a Elemental...I did post the spell ' Transport Mining (ritual) ' in the new magic topic.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”