Examples of the Elven Language

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

One Hand Clapping
Wanderer

Examples of the Elven Language

Unread post by One Hand Clapping »

Hello everyone,

I’m trying to find examples of the Elven/Dragonese language that have popped up in the Palladium Fantasy RPG. Anything that has been mentioned in the books or Rifter articles. This could be elven names for places, creatures, spells, gear, elvish phrases or sayings, etc. I’m currently pouring through the books, but it’s a lot of material to cover. If you post something, please provide the book and page number. Thank you in advance.
"I once heard that Kevin Siembieda shot a man... just to watch him die. "
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Examples of the Elven Language

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

As far as I know there are no examples of the PB Elf language.

What I use if the elf languages in the book 'The Languages of Tolkien's Middle Earth' for when I want to make up elf names and so-forth.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

One Hand Clapping wrote:Hello everyone,

I’m trying to find examples of the Elven/Dragonese language that have popped up in the Palladium Fantasy RPG. Anything that has been mentioned in the books or Rifter articles. This could be elven names for places, creatures, spells, gear, elvish phrases or sayings, etc. I’m currently pouring through the books, but it’s a lot of material to cover. If you post something, please provide the book and page number. Thank you in advance.

One thing that immediately springs to mind is that "dethial" is Elven for "ocean", as mentioned in the name Fort Dethial in New Crest (Eastern Territory, page 197).

The only other things I guess are elven given names or place names, found throughout the books. Too many for me to look up!
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Use the Elven NPC's as examples (Spread throughout the books) if you can gain some scope from how the name people. Most person names mean something else. Then there's the Elven lord Krill.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Thought it might be useful to you to give you this list I made while researching a Rifter article of named Elven places found in the books:

The Kingdom of Raf-Chalon, an elven kingdom located between Wisdom and Peningshir
The Kathana Estates, in the southern part of the Eastern Territory
The town of Shorlea, midway down the Inland Sea coast, sacked by coyles and ogres 870 years ago
Shillandar (or Shillandeor), a late-war elven stronghold, now ruined and part of a tiny human kingdom
The Golden City of Baalgor, obliterated capital of the old Elven Empire
The City of Threen, site of a massacre of elves by dwarves
The Fallen Palace of Therendil, in the Darkest Heart region of the Land of the Damned

There doesn't seem to be much similarity in the style of language used for these places, but many of them were named millennia apart and are located hundreds of miles from each other, so that is perhaps to be expected.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
One Hand Clapping
Wanderer

Unread post by One Hand Clapping »

Thanks for the responses, everybody

Soldier of Od wrote:Thought it might be useful to you to give you this list I made while researching a Rifter article of named Elven places found in the books:

The Kingdom of Raf-Chalon, an elven kingdom located between Wisdom and Peningshir
The Kathana Estates, in the southern part of the Eastern Territory
The town of Shorlea, midway down the Inland Sea coast, sacked by coyles and ogres 870 years ago
Shillandar (or Shillandeor), a late-war elven stronghold, now ruined and part of a tiny human kingdom
The Golden City of Baalgor, obliterated capital of the old Elven Empire
The City of Threen, site of a massacre of elves by dwarves
The Fallen Palace of Therendil, in the Darkest Heart region of the Land of the Damned

There doesn't seem to be much similarity in the style of language used for these places, but many of them were named millennia apart and are located hundreds of miles from each other, so that is perhaps to be expected.

Thank you! This is very helpful. I also noticed not much consistency in how the elven language sounds in PFRPG. I’m working on a Rifter article that references a lot of elven/dragonese, so I was trying to discern some kind of common style in the existing words from the books.
"I once heard that Kevin Siembieda shot a man... just to watch him die. "

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”