Invulnerability: Lesser

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

Invulnerability: Lesser

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, my first question is what is the greater power like? I assume it's in a Rifts book since all things over powered reside there. Second, If you have an instance of Invulnerability:Lesser on you and you start taking damage, can you recast the spell to refresh or replace the field? Or does the first one have to be canceled, dispelled, or beaten down before you can recast. I see nothing in the book preventing the daisy chaining of the spell, but if so, that's super cheesey.

-Vek
"Invulnerable while casting invulnerability."
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Invulnerability: Lesser

Unread post by kiralon »

Its not any cheesier than cloud of slumbering a dragons tail and then vacuuming its head.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I see no reason you can't recast the spell to replenish the field, up to your normal maximum.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Veknironth wrote:Well, my first question is what is the greater power like?

First thing you should of done was to start your thought from the begining...Here...in the chat window.That Way people will have a compleat thought about what you are trying to say.
And then as part of that thought you type here you cite the book and page where what you are talking about are found.

When you are talking about a magic spell, then using the word "power " is not congruent with the IDEA you are trying to talk about.

Veknironth wrote:I assume it's in a Rifts book since all things over powered reside there.

The invulnerability Spell is in the Rifts Game, and is basically the same spell but optimized for the setting of the Rifts Game.

Veknironth wrote:Second, If you have an instance of Invulnerability:Lesser on you and you start taking damage, can you recast the spell to refresh or replace the field?

The PF core book does not specifically say yes or no if you can recast the same spell to displace a ""damaged" protection spell before it is over. However, your magic user char can cast magic while protected by a protection spell so that does indicate that the magic user can start casting the spell before the protection runs out.

Drewkitty
OCD about words.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, my next question is how would this spell interact with other spells? Would the "dimly glowing aura" negate something like Chameleon or Invisibility? Would it still matter, if the concealing spell were cast AFTER the invulnerability? Could you conceal said aura underneath a suit of armor or cloak?

-Vek
"Drew is bothered by my template but doesn't mention this quotation idiocy?"
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

If you are in places where a dim glow is noticeable then it would be noticed, if you aren't then no, but the glow would be way more detrimental for chameleon than invisibility but it would be situational.

And nope, the way i play magic is your aura is what gives you a save, and your aura covers anything that you carry (otherwise I telekinetically pick you up by the ring on your finger)
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ITWastrel »

Veknironth wrote:Well, my next question is how would this spell interact with other spells? Would the "dimly glowing aura" negate something like Chameleon or Invisibility? Would it still matter, if the concealing spell were cast AFTER the invulnerability? Could you conceal said aura underneath a suit of armor or cloak?

-Vek
"Drew is bothered by my template but doesn't mention this quotation idiocy?"

I'd imagine the invisibility or chameleon spells would conceal that dim glow, in the same way they would conceal any other glowing body part or equipment.

If every glowing bit on a character was visible despite invisibility, then every "glows when X are near" weapon or item is a death sentence. The Xs would never have to worry about hidden adventurers again. If I were the X species, I'd manufacture those items and make sure all the budding adventurers got ahold of them. Maybe sell them in bulk to less powerful dungeon monsters who live nearer to the town than I do...

Sorry, where was I?

I'd go with the concealment-specific magic overrides the incidental visible effect.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Veknironth wrote:Well, my first question is what is the greater power like? I assume it's in a Rifts book since all things over powered reside there. Second, If you have an instance of Invulnerability:Lesser on you and you start taking damage, can you recast the spell to refresh or replace the field? Or does the first one have to be canceled, dispelled, or beaten down before you can recast. I see nothing in the book preventing the daisy chaining of the spell, but if so, that's super cheesey.

-Vek
"Invulnerable while casting invulnerability."

1. AFAIK there isn't a "greater" version, not even in Rifts (Book of Magic) in terms of spells. My copy of PF2E doesn't have Invulnerability: Lesser, its just listed as Invulnerability (limited) and Rifts (BoM) drops the limited description. If you're asking what a "greater" might look like I'd hazard something like the Major Superpower.

2. I don't see why you couldn't cast to reset the spell (nothing stacks). Worse case scenario you'd have to cancel it, which most spells are subject to, though that could vary from GM to GM.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

kiralon wrote:If you are in places where a dim glow is noticeable then it would be noticed, if you aren't then no, but the glow would be way more detrimental for chameleon than invisibility but it would be situational.

And nope, the way i play magic is your aura is what gives you a save, and your aura covers anything that you carry (otherwise I telekinetically pick you up by the ring on your finger)

mostly agrees with this.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Magic is weird and the itty bitty bits are basically dm choice, for example, if you are physics invisible light either passes though you and you cant see (doesn't interact with eyes), or it passes around you and you cant see (you are in an envelope of darkness because the light isn't making it to your eyes) or its invisible from one direction only (basically extreme chameleon where you have a pic of whats behind you overlaid), or you have hypnotised people to think you aren't there (Like n&s). The last version wouldn't care if you glowed, and would explain why hitting someone makes you "visible" again. There is a hypnotist on youtube that hypnotises people to not see him so when he picks something up the hypnotised person thinks its just floating around.
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ITWastrel »

kiralon wrote:Magic is weird and the itty bitty bits are basically dm choice, for example, if you are physics invisible light either passes though you and you cant see (doesn't interact with eyes), or it passes around you and you cant see (you are in an envelope of darkness because the light isn't making it to your eyes) or its invisible from one direction only (basically extreme chameleon where you have a pic of whats behind you overlaid), or you have hypnotised people to think you aren't there (Like n&s). The last version wouldn't care if you glowed, and would explain why hitting someone makes you "visible" again. There is a hypnotist on youtube that hypnotises people to not see him so when he picks something up the hypnotised person thinks its just floating around.

It's a spell. Magic works by magical, physics-defying means. The character is both invisible and can see, because the illusion magic makes it so. Same goes for Chameleon, we don't to debate if it can or cannot do plaid because it's magic, and sometimes the results defy logic.

Remember the rule of magic, INTENT+POWER=RESULTS, not e=mc[sup]2[/sup].

Mages get bloody little else in this system, let them skip the physics.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Veknironth wrote:Well, my next question is how would this spell interact with other spells? Would the "dimly glowing aura" negate something like Chameleon or Invisibility? Would it still matter, if the concealing spell were cast AFTER the invulnerability? Could you conceal said aura underneath a suit of armor or cloak?

I'd make the glow matter, regardless of order of operations... maybe not enough to negate the concealment, but certainly enough to make it less effective in some situations. I'd also not allow you to conceal the glow; as said, your aura protects you, and envelopes your clothes and armor.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

ITWastrel wrote:
kiralon wrote:Magic is weird and the itty bitty bits are basically dm choice, for example, if you are physics invisible light either passes though you and you cant see (doesn't interact with eyes), or it passes around you and you cant see (you are in an envelope of darkness because the light isn't making it to your eyes) or its invisible from one direction only (basically extreme chameleon where you have a pic of whats behind you overlaid), or you have hypnotised people to think you aren't there (Like n&s). The last version wouldn't care if you glowed, and would explain why hitting someone makes you "visible" again. There is a hypnotist on youtube that hypnotises people to not see him so when he picks something up the hypnotised person thinks its just floating around.

It's a spell. Magic works by magical, physics-defying means. The character is both invisible and can see, because the illusion magic makes it so. Same goes for Chameleon, we don't to debate if it can or cannot do plaid because it's magic, and sometimes the results defy logic.

Remember the rule of magic, INTENT+POWER=RESULTS, not e=mc[sup]2[/sup].

Mages get bloody little else in this system, let them skip the physics.

Invisibilty isn't illusion magic, well the last version could be because it works the way illusion magic works. Even when you are %100 sure and can touch an invisible person and know they are there and invisible, there is no roll to save to see them like illusion magic. Also if you cut an invisible person the blood is visible, but as you say the magic makes it so, and this is a lot more apparent in palladium than other systems because the creator of palladium seem to think that working this stuff out is up to the dm.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”