Board index » SDC Worlds » Palladium Fantasy RPG®

 


Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
 Post subject: Invulnerability: Lesser
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:46 pm
  

User avatar
Hero

Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2000 1:01 am
Posts: 1333
Location: Bowie, MD USA
Well, my first question is what is the greater power like? I assume it's in a Rifts book since all things over powered reside there. Second, If you have an instance of Invulnerability:Lesser on you and you start taking damage, can you recast the spell to refresh or replace the field? Or does the first one have to be canceled, dispelled, or beaten down before you can recast. I see nothing in the book preventing the daisy chaining of the spell, but if so, that's super cheesey.

-Vek
"Invulnerable while casting invulnerability."

_________________
The Plot Pedant
Kim Jong Facts


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:09 pm
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:05 pm
Posts: 2472
Comment: Kill it with Fire.
Its not any cheesier than cloud of slumbering a dragons tail and then vacuuming its head.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:46 pm
  

User avatar
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2001 1:01 am
Posts: 10331
Location: Houston, TX
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.
I see no reason you can't recast the spell to replenish the field, up to your normal maximum.

_________________
When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Whiskerbutt (n): homemade RPG materials found in secondhand RPG materials.
[T]he Republicans [are] unique relics of the past. - Sourcebook 1 (revised, p. 6)
All Palladium Articles
Two Tales of Tellene


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:56 pm
  

User avatar
Monk

Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2000 1:01 am
Posts: 17296
Location: Eastvale, calif
Veknironth wrote:
Well, my first question is what is the greater power like?

First thing you should of done was to start your thought from the begining...Here...in the chat window.That Way people will have a compleat thought about what you are trying to say.
And then as part of that thought you type here you cite the book and page where what you are talking about are found.

When you are talking about a magic spell, then using the word "power " is not congruent with the IDEA you are trying to talk about.

Veknironth wrote:
I assume it's in a Rifts book since all things over powered reside there.

The invulnerability Spell is in the Rifts Game, and is basically the same spell but optimized for the setting of the Rifts Game.

Veknironth wrote:
Second, If you have an instance of Invulnerability:Lesser on you and you start taking damage, can you recast the spell to refresh or replace the field?

The PF core book does not specifically say yes or no if you can recast the same spell to displace a ""damaged" protection spell before it is over. However, your magic user char can cast magic while protected by a protection spell so that does indicate that the magic user can start casting the spell before the protection runs out.

Drewkitty
OCD about words.

_________________
Answering the OP's question with the canon answer should be done First.
After that you can post your house rules....as your house rules.

May you be blessed with understanding,
and the ability to change course when you are off the mark.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:34 pm
  

User avatar
Hero

Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2000 1:01 am
Posts: 1333
Location: Bowie, MD USA
Well, my next question is how would this spell interact with other spells? Would the "dimly glowing aura" negate something like Chameleon or Invisibility? Would it still matter, if the concealing spell were cast AFTER the invulnerability? Could you conceal said aura underneath a suit of armor or cloak?

-Vek
"Drew is bothered by my template but doesn't mention this quotation idiocy?"

_________________
The Plot Pedant
Kim Jong Facts


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:01 am
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:05 pm
Posts: 2472
Comment: Kill it with Fire.
If you are in places where a dim glow is noticeable then it would be noticed, if you aren't then no, but the glow would be way more detrimental for chameleon than invisibility but it would be situational.

And nope, the way i play magic is your aura is what gives you a save, and your aura covers anything that you carry (otherwise I telekinetically pick you up by the ring on your finger)


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:34 am
  

User avatar
Explorer

Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:49 pm
Posts: 167
Veknironth wrote:
Well, my next question is how would this spell interact with other spells? Would the "dimly glowing aura" negate something like Chameleon or Invisibility? Would it still matter, if the concealing spell were cast AFTER the invulnerability? Could you conceal said aura underneath a suit of armor or cloak?

-Vek
"Drew is bothered by my template but doesn't mention this quotation idiocy?"



I'd imagine the invisibility or chameleon spells would conceal that dim glow, in the same way they would conceal any other glowing body part or equipment.

If every glowing bit on a character was visible despite invisibility, then every "glows when X are near" weapon or item is a death sentence. The Xs would never have to worry about hidden adventurers again. If I were the X species, I'd manufacture those items and make sure all the budding adventurers got ahold of them. Maybe sell them in bulk to less powerful dungeon monsters who live nearer to the town than I do...

Sorry, where was I?

I'd go with the concealment-specific magic overrides the incidental visible effect.

_________________
Drink whenever I say "Toon".

Color text =/= Game stats


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:54 am
  

User avatar
Palladin

Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:50 am
Posts: 6725
Location: WI
Veknironth wrote:
Well, my first question is what is the greater power like? I assume it's in a Rifts book since all things over powered reside there. Second, If you have an instance of Invulnerability:Lesser on you and you start taking damage, can you recast the spell to refresh or replace the field? Or does the first one have to be canceled, dispelled, or beaten down before you can recast. I see nothing in the book preventing the daisy chaining of the spell, but if so, that's super cheesey.

-Vek
"Invulnerable while casting invulnerability."

1. AFAIK there isn't a "greater" version, not even in Rifts (Book of Magic) in terms of spells. My copy of PF2E doesn't have Invulnerability: Lesser, its just listed as Invulnerability (limited) and Rifts (BoM) drops the limited description. If you're asking what a "greater" might look like I'd hazard something like the Major Superpower.

2. I don't see why you couldn't cast to reset the spell (nothing stacks). Worse case scenario you'd have to cancel it, which most spells are subject to, though that could vary from GM to GM.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:13 pm
  

User avatar
Monk

Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2000 1:01 am
Posts: 17296
Location: Eastvale, calif
kiralon wrote:
If you are in places where a dim glow is noticeable then it would be noticed, if you aren't then no, but the glow would be way more detrimental for chameleon than invisibility but it would be situational.

And nope, the way i play magic is your aura is what gives you a save, and your aura covers anything that you carry (otherwise I telekinetically pick you up by the ring on your finger)

mostly agrees with this.

_________________
Answering the OP's question with the canon answer should be done First.
After that you can post your house rules....as your house rules.

May you be blessed with understanding,
and the ability to change course when you are off the mark.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:29 pm
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:05 pm
Posts: 2472
Comment: Kill it with Fire.
Magic is weird and the itty bitty bits are basically dm choice, for example, if you are physics invisible light either passes though you and you cant see (doesn't interact with eyes), or it passes around you and you cant see (you are in an envelope of darkness because the light isn't making it to your eyes) or its invisible from one direction only (basically extreme chameleon where you have a pic of whats behind you overlaid), or you have hypnotised people to think you aren't there (Like n&s). The last version wouldn't care if you glowed, and would explain why hitting someone makes you "visible" again. There is a hypnotist on youtube that hypnotises people to not see him so when he picks something up the hypnotised person thinks its just floating around.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:18 pm
  

User avatar
Explorer

Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:49 pm
Posts: 167
kiralon wrote:
Magic is weird and the itty bitty bits are basically dm choice, for example, if you are physics invisible light either passes though you and you cant see (doesn't interact with eyes), or it passes around you and you cant see (you are in an envelope of darkness because the light isn't making it to your eyes) or its invisible from one direction only (basically extreme chameleon where you have a pic of whats behind you overlaid), or you have hypnotised people to think you aren't there (Like n&s). The last version wouldn't care if you glowed, and would explain why hitting someone makes you "visible" again. There is a hypnotist on youtube that hypnotises people to not see him so when he picks something up the hypnotised person thinks its just floating around.



It's a spell. Magic works by magical, physics-defying means. The character is both invisible and can see, because the illusion magic makes it so. Same goes for Chameleon, we don't to debate if it can or cannot do plaid because it's magic, and sometimes the results defy logic.

Remember the rule of magic, INTENT+POWER=RESULTS, not e=mc2.

Mages get bloody little else in this system, let them skip the physics.

_________________
Drink whenever I say "Toon".

Color text =/= Game stats


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:43 am
  

User avatar
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2001 1:01 am
Posts: 10331
Location: Houston, TX
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.
Veknironth wrote:
Well, my next question is how would this spell interact with other spells? Would the "dimly glowing aura" negate something like Chameleon or Invisibility? Would it still matter, if the concealing spell were cast AFTER the invulnerability? Could you conceal said aura underneath a suit of armor or cloak?


I'd make the glow matter, regardless of order of operations... maybe not enough to negate the concealment, but certainly enough to make it less effective in some situations. I'd also not allow you to conceal the glow; as said, your aura protects you, and envelopes your clothes and armor.

_________________
When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Whiskerbutt (n): homemade RPG materials found in secondhand RPG materials.
[T]he Republicans [are] unique relics of the past. - Sourcebook 1 (revised, p. 6)
All Palladium Articles
Two Tales of Tellene


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:52 pm
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:05 pm
Posts: 2472
Comment: Kill it with Fire.
ITWastrel wrote:
kiralon wrote:
Magic is weird and the itty bitty bits are basically dm choice, for example, if you are physics invisible light either passes though you and you cant see (doesn't interact with eyes), or it passes around you and you cant see (you are in an envelope of darkness because the light isn't making it to your eyes) or its invisible from one direction only (basically extreme chameleon where you have a pic of whats behind you overlaid), or you have hypnotised people to think you aren't there (Like n&s). The last version wouldn't care if you glowed, and would explain why hitting someone makes you "visible" again. There is a hypnotist on youtube that hypnotises people to not see him so when he picks something up the hypnotised person thinks its just floating around.



It's a spell. Magic works by magical, physics-defying means. The character is both invisible and can see, because the illusion magic makes it so. Same goes for Chameleon, we don't to debate if it can or cannot do plaid because it's magic, and sometimes the results defy logic.

Remember the rule of magic, INTENT+POWER=RESULTS, not e=mc2.

Mages get bloody little else in this system, let them skip the physics.

Invisibilty isn't illusion magic, well the last version could be because it works the way illusion magic works. Even when you are %100 sure and can touch an invisible person and know they are there and invisible, there is no roll to save to see them like illusion magic. Also if you cut an invisible person the blood is visible, but as you say the magic makes it so, and this is a lot more apparent in palladium than other systems because the creator of palladium seem to think that working this stuff out is up to the dm.


          Top  
 
 
Post new topic Reply to topic



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot]


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group