Everyday Civilian Bio-Tech

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

LostOne
Champion

Everyday Civilian Bio-Tech

Unread post by LostOne »

I was curious if there was a thread around detailing stuff that the average Splicer citizen would use daily that they might take for granted?

For example, people in our society use daily that is taken for granted: toothbrush, deodorant, hair-styling products, makeup, clothes washing machines, refrigerators, microwaves, door locks, etc.

Has anyone come up with any of this kinda stuff as bio-tech or alternative solutions?

I was thinking the dentick from Farscape was ripe for borrowing, but I'll just mention it here and not post any conversions (not that it needs any for those that know what it is).
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
taalismn
Priest

Re: Everyday Civilian Bio-Tech

Unread post by taalismn »

LostOne wrote:I was curious if there was a thread around detailing stuff that the average Splicer citizen would use daily that they might take for granted?

For example, people in our society use daily that is taken for granted: toothbrush, deodorant, hair-styling products, makeup, clothes washing machines, refrigerators, microwaves, door locks, etc.

Has anyone come up with any of this kinda stuff as bio-tech or alternative solutions?

I was thinking the dentick from Farscape was ripe for borrowing, but I'll just mention it here and not post any conversions (not that it needs any for those that know what it is).

I was considering a chemically-heated portable 'stove' that could be slung over a back, and a lung-like air-freshener/filter for workplace air quality improvement...
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Those are both worthwhile things that you'd think would be available for the civilians.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
The Baron of chaos
Champion

Unread post by The Baron of chaos »

Times ago i posted a thread about this same very topic, it was interesting, because it seemed odd that only military biotech was developed and not other supportive tech
http://www.palladium-megaverse.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=58209&sid=c9032e2082cc797d4a0bf303cbea368a
"The baron is made of raw win. Search your feelings, you know it to be true."
Ectoplasmic Bidet
Hero

Unread post by Ectoplasmic Bidet »

This evening when I get back from watching Iron Man, I'm gonna try to write up some civilian bio-tech stuff. I've had a few ideas over the years that I never got around to developing, maybe I can salvage a few of them.
slappy
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by slappy »

I have a couple I've been kicking around:

Boozers: Looks like a three-armed squid. They excrete a strong alcoholic beverage. They come in fruit and various mint flavors. Favorite drink among many Splicers, as long as they can ignore the fact they’re drinking the urine from a mutant squid. Also known as “Squid ****.”

Moisture Condensers: It looks like a four inch long auger sea shell with a spiny pod covering the opening on top. This device constantly extracts moisture from the air and stores the drinkable water inside the hollow shell. It can only hold 6 ounces of water at a time but it can extract up to 50 ounces a day from what climates, 30 ounces from an average environment, and 15 ounces a day from dry climates.

Fuzzballs: It looks like a baseball made of flesh covered in a thick cotton-like fuzz. This fuzz is actually an edible fungus that has sort of a citrus flavor. It contains all the proteins, carbohydrates, and vitamins that a human needs to sustain himself indefinitely. It is primarily used by field Splicers so they do not need to worry about scavenging for food in the field. It can provide enough food for one meal a day, so it is more like emergency rations but multiple Fuzzballs can keep one person well fed. Host Armor, Gorehounds, and War Mounts generally require a great deal more food than a human so these are not ideal for sustaining Bio-Tech.

I was also thinking recently about living conditions within the Resistance. What would their bathroom look like? I don't think it would need to be filled with creepy Bio-Tech equivalents. I figure you would have the same porcelain fixtures with plastic piping and all that. The Bio-Tech part would come in concerning what heats the water and pumps it through those pipes. That's where you come up with some odd organic creature tucked deep within the bowels of the underground haven.

Just a thought. Looking forward to what others add. :D
The Baron of chaos
Champion

This awoke my interest so here some new things

Printing bio-machine. The main chassis is made of wood, but the secret lay inside. The characters are made of semi-living organic gelt hat harden or soften given low-level bio-electric shock. Result is that could print quite fast once connected to a bio-comms, translating thoughts in written words. Only side effect is that need to be recharged with ink once a while (generally every 100 printed pages9and gel has short life span, only 1d4+1 months. Is commonplace amongst librarians, who generally own 1d4x10 printers, and in bureaoucratics offices(Bureaucracy, existed in ancient egypt, in middleage, in modern times and will survive till the end of humankind ). The largest great house often host a printing commerce, having very fine and top quality printing bio-machine. These are alos essential in keeping the human knowledge memory alive making copy of precious books

Pleasurmatic(an old glory, first thought for Rifts cyborg, converted then for pretty much games i've played :) ). This little worm like organism connect trought a umbilical cord to the back of the neck, not dislike the warmounts connection system, and stimulate the serotonine production of the metabolism and amplify the pleasure receptors of the brain. Final result is a VERY pleasurable sensation whose intensity could vary from mild relaxation to extasy and rapture(think somethign like "OMGYESS") . Orginally thought for therapy for battle shock and traumatized dreadguards and roughneck, it had become, despite Librarian,engineers and Warlord prohibitions, a source of entertaimente and addiction.
Bonuse: While on Rapture the subject feel no pain, feel very good and is +3 to save vs HF , fatigue . Sadly is -10% to all skills and had no initiative due being lost to it
Value: 1d6x100000 credits highly illegal outside medical facilities so price could vary
Life Span: 25 years
noie: very very addictive
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Bio-Chem Latterns---Look like glowing ostrich eggs held in netting that can be hooked to a belt, harness, wall-protrusion, or other mounting mount....safe, cool, bright, light...Can be turned off and on by pressing a protrusion at the top of the egg, but will burn for a month before dimming...Can be recharged simply by soaking in a sugar-solution or by injecting a nutrient fluid into the bulb...
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
The Baron of chaos
Champion

Digging Gauntlets - This is the first of a series of generic bio-organic large gloves who had become very widespread amongst the non-host armor pilots. Thes eone in particular had become a serious hit for most worker, for offering also a minimal combat ability. The glovese are made of chitin tipped with large claws made for digging, the claws had micro pores that secrete acid that further help in digging earth.
MDC: 18 each
Damage: 1d8+2 Megadamage
Digging speed: Dig through earth and normal rock at Speed equal PS+15 MPH, PS+5 through MDC material.
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

How about a bio-taser for the civvilian police?
or a arrow head gecho for hunting,bio-locks,a sense enhancer or a healer pod for bio-tech?
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

The Baron of chaos wrote:Printing bio-machine. Only side effect is that need to be recharged with ink once a while

Squid naturally produce an inky substance, I believe some cultures actually have used it for ink. No reason the ink couldn't be produced by the device.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

abe wrote:How about a bio-taser for the civvilian police?
or a arrow head gecho for hunting,bio-locks,a sense enhancer or a healer pod for bio-tech?

some of this stuff exists already, or you need to expand on what you mean. :)

They have the equivalent of night-vision goggles (Eye Pod) for sense enhancement.
Slap Patches for healing.
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

They have the equivalent of night-vision goggles (Eye Pod) for sense enhancement.
Slap Patches for healing.

the arrow head gecho produces arrow heads for arrows that are the equilivent of steel for all except nanite purposes
the bio-taser just stuns criminals so they will go to trial or so they wont hurt themselfs
bio-locks are the bio-tech equilivent of metal locks
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Those are some awesome ideas! I can see a lot of these devices being in the hands of the ordinary people! I'll have to do some research before I even think of adding to this great list.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

any thoughts on my items & how they might work in splicers?
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

the bio-locks would probibly need bio-keys of course.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

living portapotty? or is a toilet with a tongue too much body-horror?
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

glitterboy2098 wrote:living portapotty? or is a toilet with a tongue too much body-horror?

:shock: OMG!!!

:lol:
The Dragon Has Spoken
Ale Golem
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Ale Golem »

abe wrote:the arrow head gecho produces arrow heads for arrows that are the equilivent of steel for all except nanite purposes
I have an image in my head of a Splicer hunters/warriors with a small group, 3 or 4, of Arrow Head Geckos on his shoulders. They're his pets and faithful hunting companions, he takes care of them in his downtime and they are adored by his children. I love these little guys!

Now that I look, I don't see any stats for a bow in the Splicer main book. Do they exist or have people just ported them over from Rifts/Palladium Fantasy?
Check it out and love it! http://www.badgreymatter.com/
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Ale Golem wrote:
abe wrote:the arrow head gecho produces arrow heads for arrows that are the equilivent of steel for all except nanite purposes
I have an image in my head of a Splicer hunters/warriors with a small group, 3 or 4, of Arrow Head Geckos on his shoulders. They're his pets and faithful hunting companions, he takes care of them in his downtime and they are adored by his children. I love these little guys!

Now that I look, I don't see any stats for a bow in the Splicer main book. Do they exist or have people just ported them over from Rifts/Palladium Fantasy?

do the stats exist, or do bows exist?

the former, kind of. the latter, yes.

in particular, on page 203 in the WP Archery skill, we are told what the typical values for range and damage are for a variety of bow and bow-like weapons. in fact, apart from bio-weapons and the weapons used by NEXUS robots, the WP skills are the only source of weapon stats in general i think.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

there is a book called In the courts of the Crimson kings, by S.M.Sterling that has some interesting bio-tech. it's set in an alternate universe where the probes of the 1960's (the Venera probes for venus, and the Vikings for mars) found worlds more like those described by heinlein, Robert E. howard, etc. turns out mars and venus were terraformed by 'the lords of creation' millions of years prior, and seeded with terran life.. including humans in more recent times.

on mars, because the planet had so little metal and no tectonic activity to speak of, the local civilization turned to breeding, and later engineering, living things to produce their tech. so you had things like octopi which had been engineered to be living night vision goggles, or medkits that used various worms and bugs instead of instruments and drugs, guns that used a methane producing critter to propel ceramic bullets, whips that were actually rats (the grip is the body, the tail is the whip.. and the tail secretes a contact paralytic), rooms are carpeted with a sessile furry critter, messages are carried by birds with perfect memory and vocal mimicry, etc..

it wouldn't carry over one to one, but plenty of inspirational ideas in the book. especially the idea of "feral" versions of the various tools. where the animal parts escape and breed, creating a weird ecosystem. some of which can be quite deadly.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Ale Golem
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Ale Golem »

Shark_Force wrote:
Ale Golem wrote:

...on page 203 in the WP Archery skill, we are told what the typical values for range and damage are for a variety of bow and bow-like weapons. in fact, apart from bio-weapons and the weapons used by NEXUS robots, the WP skills are the only source of weapon stats in general i think.

I never would have thought to look beyond the bio-technology section for weapon stats before sitting down to help people make characters. I was expecting a small write up for various bone/resin SD weapons, thank you for the assistance.
Check it out and love it! http://www.badgreymatter.com/
Shark_Force
Palladin

Ale Golem wrote:I never would have thought to look beyond the bio-technology section for weapon stats before sitting down to help people make characters. I was expecting a small write up for various bone/resin SD weapons, thank you for the assistance.

well, like i said, it's only really sort of there even.

after all, a typical write-up for a weapon will include things like a rate of fire, ammo capacity, cost, and a description (although probably most of us don't need a full description of, say, a bow and arrow... but we might need it for recognizing one polearm from another)

more to the point, most of those weapons come with a range of possible values pretty much. so you need to decide what each one actually does within that range of values, and fill in a few blanks.
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

glitterboy2098 wrote:living portapotty? or is a toilet with a tongue too much body-horror?

Uh, yeah. I take it you've seen certain episodes of the series Lexx?

I like the ideas of the bio-chem lantern eggs for illumination; the children use them for a game of 'hot potato' called "Black Egg";
the Digger gauntlets for tunnel-expension or to ease the House's living organism base to safely expand;
The Bio-Locks would be keyed to a specific individual's bio-print (touching the lock would confirm the identity; to imprint before installation, the lock-organism is held by it's 'owner' for a few moments before being put in place);
I can imagine a variant of the Bio-Taser as a mutation of the Electric Eel combined with a small squid or octopus--thrown or launched from a modified bio-launcher, the octopus limbs would grab & adhere to the target while the eel part delivers a mild stunning shock.

"Black Egg" game.
When the Bio-Lantern illimination devices became wide spread amongst the Houses, many younger children started playing a rather curious game with them. With a group of 3 or more (usually 6, the highest was 12 members), the children would pass around a Bio-Lantern 'egg' that was engineered to switch randomly between various colors. The one that ended up with the egg going 'black' (shut off/no longer glowing) was disqualified, and the game would continue. usually this is a speed-timed game, and many adults saw this friendly game as a way to promote hand-eye co-ordination in the younger generations. Some children have developed the skill of Juggling (as per the skill, pg. 196) and later have taught this to others. The wise mentor to young Splicers often encourage this activity.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Shark_Force
Palladin

if you want to see some interesting ideas for this, i recommend the geneforge series of video games (they're single player RPGs available on computer only, to my knowledge...)

for obvious reasons, i can't post all the uses of bio-engineered creations here in this thread (conversion rules, etc), but i don't think there would be any problem with referring people to the games... you can try out a demo just to see some of the starting stuff from each game, and there are 5 games.

(the series also raises some interesting points wrt the rights of bio-engineered creatures... but i don't want to spoil it too much for anyone that actually goes to check it out).

of course, it will probably also give you ideas for bio-engineered creations that are *not* for civilians :)
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

BookWyrm wrote:

Uh, yeah. I take it you've seen certain episodes of the series Lexx?

actually no. never seen that series.

portapotties with a tongue showed up in In The Courts Of The Crimson Kings, complete with earth humans being rather creeped out by it.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Guy_LeDouche
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Guy_LeDouche »

Here are a few loose ideas from the LeDouche-verse:

Muck tape

A inexpensive, highly versatile, all purpose tape; Muck Tape works by attaching millions of microscopic bacterial filiments to the contact surface; insuring a strong, even grip. Can be used for a great many things like patching armor, strapping attachments to weapons, binding prisoners and many, many more!

M.D.C.: 1 M.D. per one foot strip (0.30 m)
Maximum Effective Holding Strength: Equal to a Splicers Physical Strength of 15.
Trade Value: 2 credits for a 50 foot (15.24 m) roll or 5 credits for a roll of 150 feet (45.72 m).

Dermal-weld (Super glue for organics)
An organic mucus-like substance which is capable of bonding virtually any material to any other material (organic works best, but will work on most anything). Much like the super glue, Dermal weld can be used to bond everything from plastics to ceramics, flesh or even metal (probably not the best of ideas). Made from naturally occuring plants and minerals; Dermal Weld is a cheap, all-purpose adhesive.

Maximum Effective Holding Strength: Equal to a Splicers Physical Strength of 20 if both materials are organic but only 10 if one is an inorganic material and only 5 if neither is organic in nature.
Payload: Enough to cover a 3 foot by 3 foot (0.91 by 0.91 m) area in a thin coating.
Trade Value: 25 credits for a new and unused tube of Dermal Weld.

Pigment Mixer (All purpose paint mixer)

Thermal Woad (Heat cloaking "mud" which fouls up detection; see Ar-nuld in "Predator")

Plasmatic Flare (Road Flare)

Personal Aquafier (Water purifer and canteen combo!)
Fairy tales begin with "Once upon a time". Southern fairy tales begin with "Y'all ain't gonna believe this s**t!!"

XBL Gamertag: Guy L3D0uch3

If Keanu Reeves had played Thulsa Doom, he would have told Conan to contemplate on the Tree of Whoa..
Shark_Force
Palladin

just can't seem to keep myself from bringing this up, but... superglue is superglue for organics. in fact, one of the uses (of which there are many) of superglue is to replace sutures in surface cuts.
Guy_LeDouche
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Guy_LeDouche »

Shark_Force wrote:just can't seem to keep myself from bringing this up, but... superglue is superglue for organics. in fact, one of the uses (of which there are many) of superglue is to replace sutures in surface cuts.

True, but it's not "Splicer-fied". What fun is plain old super glue compared to super adhering organic mucous?
Fairy tales begin with "Once upon a time". Southern fairy tales begin with "Y'all ain't gonna believe this s**t!!"

XBL Gamertag: Guy L3D0uch3

If Keanu Reeves had played Thulsa Doom, he would have told Conan to contemplate on the Tree of Whoa..
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

how about (for use with the alchol generating squid) a vinegar maker (maybe as a advancement for said squid)?
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

on the holiday's they MIGHT have bio-tech related to the various holiday you know
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

I'm sure you're right on that. I'm also sure their holidays would be quite different from ours. :)
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

By the way, one of the projects that we will hopefully be turning in sometime in 2014 is called Splicers: Homefront which will detail many of the wierd bio-tech innovations specifically for domestic and civilian use.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Can't wait
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

how about bio-tech utentials for the everyday use?
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

LostOne wrote:I'm sure you're right on that. I'm also sure their holidays would be quite different from ours. :)

Why can i not help but envision the Evil Murdering Robo-Santa from Futurama?
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:
LostOne wrote:I'm sure you're right on that. I'm also sure their holidays would be quite different from ours. :)

Why can i not help but envision the Evil Murdering Robo-Santa from Futurama?

Because that would be epic.
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

For hunting you could have a electrified-bio-net!
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

how about a cleaning tub for dishes & people, granted the one for people would have to be pretty large but you get the general idea.
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

for hunting, the bio-whip!
could probably also be used by splicer pc's as well of course!
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

Enhancement of the bio-whip the bio whip dagger!
Basically the bio-e equivalent of the whip - dagger!
This would be useful for hunting.
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

The Galactus Kid wrote:By the way, one of the projects that we will hopefully be turning in sometime in 2014 is called Splicers: Homefront which will detail many of the wierd bio-tech innovations specifically for domestic and civilian use.

how is that book working out now that it's 2015?
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

abe wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:By the way, one of the projects that we will hopefully be turning in sometime in 2014 is called Splicers: Homefront which will detail many of the wierd bio-tech innovations specifically for domestic and civilian use.

how is that book working out now that it's 2015?

We have a lot more ideas and things coming along, but I'm still working on wrapping up the Technojacker book that Krisoy and Guy LaDouche wereworking oin. It's in edits right now. I have two other projects on my plate after that, and will be working on more Splicers books once the logjam breaks and books start coming out.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

How about a Quill-Pen? Grown on the back of a genetically-modified creature (part squid, for the ink, part porcupine for the quills), this creature can grow about 2d6 thin hollow stylus that contain a measure of ink that is useful in both writing and tattooing. Most of these 'quill-pens' contain black ink, but some creatures do produce some quills with red, green, and blue inks (in separate quills; these are noted by a small band at the middle of the quill). It's rare that 1 out of 50 quills produced by a 'pen-quill' creature will produce a quill with white ink.
NOTE: The quills themselves are just barely sharp enough to pierce unprotected skin, for tattooing, but do no real damage. An 'empty' quill-pen is usually returned to the pen-quill creature, who consumes the spent quill to recycle it into a new one. Cleaned & intact empty quills (each about 6 inches long) can be used for a variety of functions, such as darts for games, mini-skewers for eating food, hair-bun pins, even bundles of them for games of 'pick-up sticks'.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

For oil lamps how about a oil generator of sorts?
Oil lamps can be made of ceramic materials after all.
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by RiftJunkie »

How about a bio-woodshop? A planer could use tentacles to pull the wood through with piranha type somethings that chew the wood down to the desired thickness. Large sanders could be an abrasive tentacle mess.

Clothing industry? Silkworms or spiders to spin and tentacles to weave the fabric. Modify a woodpecker for a sewing machine. Various dyes are easy.
My apologies up front if my posts come across as argumentative or crass. It is not a personal attack on anyone, just my blunt style. I bear no ill will towards anybody that plays Palladium Games (there’s not enough of us to hold a grudge).
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

abe wrote:For oil lamps how about a oil generator of sorts?
Oil lamps can be made of ceramic materials after all.

why use oil lamps if you can engineer bioluminescent plants/sessile animals? less upkeep, self-duplicating, and no need to worry about toxic fumes or handling hazardous materials.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Wooly
Adventurer

Unread post by Wooly »

There are a few books I thought of other then the aforementioned In the courts of the Crimson kings that feature civilian Bio-Tech.

Copernicks Rebellion
http://www.amazon.com/Copernicks-Rebell ... 0977386929

and

Sparrowhawk
http://www.amazon.com/Sparrowhawk-Organ ... 1587151200
“When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

also West of Eden, an alternate pre-history series where dinosaurs didn't die out fully. the book's antagonists, the saurian Yilane, use biological tools specially bred and engineered for a task. boats made from squid and aquatic lizards for example. even clothing (since the yilane evolved from cold blooded marine reptiles, they lack temp regulation.. at one point in the sequel they suffer bad from an ice age winter because they "can't breed coats fast enough")

http://www.amazon.com/West-Eden-Harry-H ... st+of+eden

also, for those looking for interesting military ideas for Splicers, take a look at the Dreen from Ringo's "Into the Looking Glass" series.
http://www.amazon.com/Into-Looking-Glas ... king+Glass

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

For in - house use maybe a bio-technology version of the Internet?
howdey folks!!!!!!!!

Return to “Splicers®”