Bio-Comms Issues

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Bio-Comms Issues

Unread post by RiftJunkie »

Please bear with me. I'm just pondering stuff and it's not meant as an attack on the write-up or even super serious questions as there are multiple ways to play it. I'm just curious if there is an overwhelming consensus, or if no one has even given this much thought. If it's in the "not much thought" category, this might add an element to your game as a new twist or frustrate PC's because nobody like communication issues at a critical moment.

In the write-up, it sounds like Bio-Comms are all the same critter. Here's some questions:
Do they all work on the same frequency?
Are they House specific (only understood by the same House)?
How would different Houses coordinate if they are specific?
They have a 6 mile range, does that mean everybody in the radius hear everybody's conversation?
Does one conversation "step on" another or is it like a shouting match to be heard?
Can they have different frequencies in the same Bio-Comm unit?
How would you adjust frequencies in the Bio-Comm unit (squeeze glands or something)?
Since it's critter to critter transmissions, can Bio-Comms act as a translator between languages?
The Machine can't interpret the signals, but what about "jamming" by sending out it's own pulses?
How long can the Bio-Comms continually communicate before they get tired and need a rest?
Are there any other potential "quirks" that I missed?
My apologies up front if my posts come across as argumentative or crass. It is not a personal attack on anyone, just my blunt style. I bear no ill will towards anybody that plays Palladium Games (there’s not enough of us to hold a grudge).
boxee
Hero

Re: Bio-Comms Issues

Unread post by boxee »

Good questions, I can tell you how I run them.
They are thought controlled, you think it they transmit it.
Imagine there is someone you want to talk to that is far away, comms open you can transmit. This works for individuals, your squad, your house, and the resistance in general.
Your house would have protocols as to who talks when. Most likely it is dependent on how many people are trying to talk, maybe houses have dreadguard or roughnecks that are assigned to a squad/platoon/whatever and they report to the warlord in large scale battles to keep things from being total chaos.
I would say they can not be jammed. If they could the machine would always do this and they would be useless.
Translators interesting thought, maybe some can?
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Actually different houses use different "frequencies" from some snippets we have seen such as the descriptions of the communications roots from gardeners having to mature to a certain point to be able to relay signals from other houses bio comms and relay/translate them.

I don't believe bio comms can be jammed but they don't appear to be encrypted if you can tap into their channels such as via the gardener communication nodes. I would guess if you are in hostile actions vs another great house or suspect they have hostile intentions to you people use codes to disguise their meanings.

As for to much "chatter" on the line I suspect you get the same kinds of communications protocols we see in modern day military. Chit chat is okay until combat starts and then you practice strict discipline to keep it from devolving to chaos. Also note without a gardener node max range of biocomms is somewhat short so you even in a big fight people at one end may not be able to directly contact those on the other side.
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Here's a few thoughts;

Assuming they are grown from the same basic creature but with slight stylistic differences, they would have a 'baseline' vibration that is common enough to all of the species, but each House has a unique 'signature' that enables it to communicate to other Bio-Comms from it's 'series' and keeps it safe from the Machine.

As for linking up two or more, the leader of the team/squad removes their Bio-Comms (if possible) & gets within proximity (say, 1/2 meter) of his/her team & gives the command to synch up. This takes only a few seconds, as the Bio-Comms tap into that base-line & synchronize together. Implanted Bio-Comms, being incapable of being removed, would simply be brought into the aforementioned range, command given, then they synch up.

Only those in the same frequency receive the transmissions keyed, unless a member of another House is linked (as per above).
No conversation interferes or 'steps on' another's. This was worked out in the earliest days of the first usage of Bio-Comms, when miscommunications led to the annihilation of several smaller Houses due to cross-talking and mistaken intelligence.

Different 'frequencies' are used only for each specific mission, but I would allow up to 4 (the House base-line plus 3 others) which can be wiped by command. Only the House base-line is permanent, unless the Bio-Comms is destroyed.

Changing 'channels' is as easy as a whispered command, such as lightly touching two tiny plates on the Bio-Comms (one at the base of the 'mike' the other at the 'antenna') and whispering "Get me {name associated to that line}." Ex.: "Get me Commander T'kresh." (Bio-Comm gives a short soft trill) "Commander, status?"
Implanted one require no physical contact, only the command. Some do make the gesture out of habit.

As for a functional translator, a Bio-Comms can be specifically grown for said purpose, but it would have to 'hear' the language spoken for about 10 seconds to get a base-line understanding. For each language translated, it sacrifices a channel (meaning it can translate up to 3 known languages at the cost of the frequencies). The House base-line is hard-wired (hard-bred?) inot the Bio-Comm & cannot be wiped, except upon death/destruction. Treat as a one-time Language: Other skill at 88%, locked at that level until wiped or the creature is destroyed.

The Machine cannot duplicate the subtle bio-signature(s) that the Bio-Comms produce in order to effectively jam/decode the transmissions. It never figured it out & abandoned the idea long ago.

The Bio-Comms creature goes into a kind of 'rest'-mode in-between transmissions (sent & received) to maximize it's lifespan in the field. If removed it goes into a 'sleep'-mode until activated. I would say that a non-implanted Bio-Comms can survive up to 6 months of normal use, or less than 3 weeks if left alone & starves to death. A non-implanted Bio-Comms feeds on the dead skin cells & normal persperation of the user, while an implanted one becomes part of the system it's implanted in. A Bio-Comms dies when it's host dies.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by RiftJunkie »

Interesting. I'm a little surprised that nobody has comms problems. They can be frustrating, but can make for serious suspense/drama.
My apologies up front if my posts come across as argumentative or crass. It is not a personal attack on anyone, just my blunt style. I bear no ill will towards anybody that plays Palladium Games (there’s not enough of us to hold a grudge).
BookWyrm
Champion

A flawed external Bio-Comms can indeed be problematic, garbling transmissions and messages, switching channels at inappropriate times, even just blasting a single high-pitched squelch until it is removed and destroyed.
Sometimes a flawed Bio-Comms shows up in a 'batch' (while extremely rare, the percentage is noticeable enough to have a general plan in place just for such an occurrence; removal, isolation of the faulty device, examination & then disposal (usually by immolation to prevent the flaw from being transferred to another batch). With most Bio-Comms being implanted, this has an even less chance of occurring.

Some of the less-reputable smaller Houses have attempted to sabotage other House with smuggled-in & replaced faulty Bio-Comms, but these are usually discovered quickly, disposed of & the House 'chastized' (punishments usually range from restricted trade to low-level censure).
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
BookWyrm
Champion

I forget, which Rifter was it that had a Bio-Comms like device that recorded a short audio message & couple play it back?
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Rifter 59
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
BookWyrm
Champion

The Galactus Kid wrote:Rifter 59

Thanks! :D
Str-8 male Dom/Top;

Return to “Splicers®”