Serpentine Lower Body

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Serpentine Lower Body

Unread post by RiftJunkie »

Maybe it's complicated, maybe it's not.....

If you wanted to spend the Bio-E for Hands: Suction Cups and Gripping Hairs (for a pair of hands and feet) and Hands & Feet: Non-Skid Pads ](for a pair of hands and feet) would those bonuses transfer to the Serpentine Lower Body? I don't see why not, but I'd like to get a consensus of what you think.

Thanks in advance.
My apologies up front if my posts come across as argumentative or crass. It is not a personal attack on anyone, just my blunt style. I bear no ill will towards anybody that plays Palladium Games (there’s not enough of us to hold a grudge).
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Re: Serpentine Lower Body

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

They would be on your hands or feet. Serpentine lower body doesn't have feet so the attributes would carry over to the hands of the armor
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Premier »

Unless............. The suction cups and grip hairs aligned the bottom of the Serpentine Tail like the bottom scales of large snake, but cupped in a pattern similar to an Octopus's tentacle. Food for thought.
The Galactus Kid

Premier wrote:Unless............. The suction cups and grip hairs aligned the bottom of the Serpentine Tail like the bottom scales of large snake, but cupped in a pattern similar to an Octopus's tentacle. Food for thought.

I could see that.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Premier wrote:Unless............. The suction cups and grip hairs aligned the bottom of the Serpentine Tail like the bottom scales of large snake, but cupped in a pattern similar to an Octopus's tentacle. Food for thought.

Snake scales already work a bit like gripping hairs when climbing trees for the more arboreal snake species be easy to see a modification of this as more like gripping scales of very fine micro scales to give more grip for climbing.
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Well, I’m trying to come up with a combo that would allow me to climb well with a serpentine body.
I’d hate to have only my hands holding on with a long thingy just dangling about. :eek:

If it couldn't apply to a serpentine body, are there any suggestions? (I only have the main book and Rifter 60 right now, so I don't know if I'm missing something in one of the other Rifters.)
My apologies up front if my posts come across as argumentative or crass. It is not a personal attack on anyone, just my blunt style. I bear no ill will towards anybody that plays Palladium Games (there’s not enough of us to hold a grudge).
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Well one thing to note is there are quite a few arboreal climbing snake species and ones very adept at climbing up rock surfaces even pretty sheer ones. Basically every scale acts as a finger and snakes have excellent control of them and how they are engaging the surface they are going on. Size is not a huge limitation either as some of the largest snake species are also ones that tend to be good climbers.

I don't see why a snake body on its own would not allow for competent climbing abilities of anything that can take the weight.
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

kaid wrote:Well one thing to note is there are quite a few arboreal climbing snake species and ones very adept at climbing up rock surfaces even pretty sheer ones. Basically every scale acts as a finger and snakes have excellent control of them and how they are engaging the surface they are going on. Size is not a huge limitation either as some of the largest snake species are also ones that tend to be good climbers.

I don't see why a snake body on its own would not allow for competent climbing abilities of anything that can take the weight.

All true. My concern is/was game mechanics since there is nothing in the description for serpentine to have any climbing ability. I was looking for something "solid" to use as justification for the ability to climb. Yup, there is always rule #0 and common sense, but not everyone can agree on rule #0 and common sense doesn't always seem to be too common. :? It's nice to have the writers and contributors here on the boards to figure some of this stuff out in a (or almost) canon answer. I've been playing the PB line of games for years, but only recently got into Splicers. I love it! Not all of it makes the most sense to me, but that's ok because this is another setting that can be as cool as Rifts. (and I've gotten used to discrepancies through Rifts :D )
The Galactus Kid

Yeah, splicers is my favorite Palladium setting now, and has been for quite some time now.

Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Premier »

RiftJunkie wrote:
kaid wrote:Well one thing to note is there are quite a few arboreal climbing snake species and ones very adept at climbing up rock surfaces even pretty sheer ones. Basically every scale acts as a finger and snakes have excellent control of them and how they are engaging the surface they are going on. Size is not a huge limitation either as some of the largest snake species are also ones that tend to be good climbers.

All true. My concern is/was game mechanics since there is nothing in the description for serpentine to have any climbing ability. I was looking for something "solid" to use as justification for the ability to climb. Yup, there is always rule #0 and common sense, but not everyone can agree on rule #0 and common sense doesn't always seem to be too common. :? It's nice to have the writers and contributors here on the boards to figure some of this stuff out in a (or almost) canon answer. I've been playing the PB line of games for years, but only recently got into Splicers. I love it! Not all of it makes the most sense to me, but that's ok because this is another setting that can be as cool as Rifts. (and I've gotten used to discrepancies through Rifts :D )

Well, with the Awesome Splicehead Community here online, I think you will find your in good company. SPLICERS is by far my most favorite RPG setting of all pen and paper table tops.

I think the best bet, would be to enjoy a slithering serpentine centaurian Host Armor that is well equipped with natural serpentine musculature great for clumbing, plus the enhancements of suction cups and grip hairs aligned underneath the central scaling to enable this unit to slither along ceilings and walls like a stealthy constrictor or as easily and fast like a vine snake, mamba or blue racer. I am inclined to think that House Shivas naga serpents might also be able to be equipped with such Bio-enhancements so I think you are good to go. With the innovation and prowess of the Librarians, I'm pretty confident that this design is more than feasible.

As to Splicers with any discrepancies, some of the more common concerns will be addressed in some of the submitted scripts devided by Slappy and Myself or the expanded material submitted by Galactus Kid, Guy LeDouche and Krispy. Though I can also say, that some of these discrepancies also have served as creative pockets for GMs to indulge in.
The Galactus Kid

Premier wrote: As to Splicers with any discrepancies, some of the more common concerns will be addressed in some of the submitted scripts devided by Slappy and Myself or the expanded material submitted by Galactus Kid, Guy LeDouche and Krispy. Though I can also say, that some of these discrepancies also have served as creative pockets for GMs to indulge in.

I would also like to note that some of the discrepancies of some bio-enhancements have also already been caught and changed in the Official material in Rifter 50, and have been carried over to the Splicers: Genetic Expressions manuscript.

RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

To: Premier and Galactus,
Thanks for the info, it sounds great. I'll have to get the Rifters for the additional material, though I disdain getting a Rifter for official content: that's what sourcebooks are for. :x Need sourcebooks!
The Galactus Kid

RiftJunkie wrote:To: Premier and Galactus,
Thanks for the info, it sounds great. I'll have to get the Rifters for the additional material, though I disdain getting a Rifter for official content: that's what sourcebooks are for. :x Need sourcebooks!

Many times official material is stuff that was left on the cutting room floor, or (as in the case with a lot of the Splicers material) previews of Sourcebook Material. That is the case for all of the stuff in Rifter 50, 59 and 70. Part of what is in 50 is in a manuscript that is in house, 70 has a preview of a manuscript going through edits right now, and the rest will be in two additional sourcebooks that are in development. So, for Splicers you may not hhave to get the Rifters for the official material (except for House Shiva) since they will most likely be in print in the future, but the waiting is the hard part.

RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Unfortunately with PB, time estimates that are in months usually turn into years.
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Ok, another question about the serpentine body.

Combat Tail/Stinger Tail/Whip Tail... They have the prerequisite of Prehensile Tail.
Seems to me, that Prehensile Tail is the only way to get a tail (with the exception of cosmetic enhancement) other than Serpentine Lower Body. I would think the Serpentine Lower Body should make the requirement to get a Combat Tail/Stinger Tail/Whip Tail. If not, and you have to get the Prehensile Tail first, why? What are your thoughts on this?
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

hmmm... probably would allow it, but consider that a prehensile tail is a tail that you can actively control and use as a limb. it is entirely possible that the serpentine body isn't really so much under active control and is really pretty much just responding to your desire to go somewhere, since your brain doesn't really come with built-in commands for controlling a tail.

having said that, the bonus to entangle imo implies a level of conscious control over the serpentine tail suitable for combat enhancements.
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

Also it can already be used to attack. The climb skill allows you to climb it matters not what your body is shaped like. Climbing upside down just buy the gripping hairs enhancement, if your GM gives you flak he is likely not really thinking. How often are you going to be climbing really?
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

boxee wrote:Also it can already be used to attack. The climb skill allows you to climb it matters not what your body is shaped like. Climbing upside down just buy the gripping hairs enhancement, if your GM gives you flak he is likely not really thinking. How often are you going to be climbing really?

I'm going for the "Super Recon Model". Something that can sneak into any city/warehouse/manufacturing facility to get the best intell for surgical strikes. Climbing walls and ceilings would be a huge advantage for this.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Thats a great original concept. A Ninja Naga!! So to speak.
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

I really cant see a GM giving you problems with it.
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

I'm also thinking of adding another set of eyes (armored of course): one more for the head (possibly on the back of the head) and one for the tip of the tail. The one on the tail would be used to "see if the coast is clear" when digging up into hostile territory. (probably look like that thing in the trash compactor on the death star from episode IV popping up) :lol:
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

What about four arms??
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

say652 wrote:What about four arms??

Cost wise, I left it at two in favor of other abilities.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

boxee wrote:Also it can already be used to attack. The climb skill allows you to climb it matters not what your body is shaped like. Climbing upside down just buy the gripping hairs enhancement, if your GM gives you flak he is likely not really thinking. How often are you going to be climbing really?

If a GM complains about climbing ability of somebody with a snake body just show them some youtube vids of various large pythons some of which are twice man length and about as heavy and they have zero problems climbing all sorts of stuff. A snake bodies biggest hinderance is top speed on land but its a very very all terrain body style with huge grip area surface and the muscles to use it.

Return to “Splicers®”