Sell Me on Splicers!

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Semi-Retired Gamer
Megaversal® Ambassador

Sell Me on Splicers!

Unread post by Semi-Retired Gamer »

I started with Palladium back in the days of the original edition of the fantasy rules. I have also enjoyed Robotech, HU, RIFTS, and Chaos Earth over the years. Two Palladium games I have never read or played include Splicer and Beyond the Supernatural. I posted a similar thread in the BtS forum so now I'm asking here. Splicers fans, why should I be playing Splicers?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I blog (mainly) about role-playing interests at The Semi-Retired Gamer.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Re: Sell Me on Splicers!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Oh man. I can't type this all on my phone. Let me find a computer...

Of course someone will have a great answer posted ere by the time I get the chance
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Premier »

Semi-Retired Gamer wrote:I started with Palladium back in the days of the original edition of the fantasy rules. I have also enjoyed Robotech, HU, RIFTS, and Chaos Earth over the years. Two Palladium games I have never read or played include Splicer and Beyond the Supernatural. I posted a similar thread in the BtS forum so now I'm asking here. Splicers fans, why should I be playing Splicers?

Well Semi-Retired Gamer, let us be the first to welcome you to hopefully being unretired and into the realm of the Spliceheads!

Your question has been asked in the past and I will link several threads to this post to help answer your inquiry.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=137188

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=137188

These threads cover the basic idea as to why most of us have become fascinated fans, contributors and or gamers of this innovative setting. Reviewing your history of rpgs, I think you might really enjoy Splicers, especially if you loved Robotech and RIFTS. Splicers has a great sense of realism and mortality set in a survival horror action Sci fi setting (Speculation Fiction). As a huge fan of the Manga and anime Guyver and the grueling post apocalyptic Terminator setting, seeing and imaging a setting that is almost a fusion of the two was down right blinding me with awestruck. As I review the setting however,it becomes far more apparent that there is so much more.

I think it was best written by poster Guy Ledouche in his summary of Splicers:

Splicers is a role-playing game that combines science fiction and horror in a post-apocalyptic setting on a world that could be Earth or a colonized off-world. The survivors themselves don't know. What was once a world dominated by humans and advanced civilization is now a world in ruins. The once great cities are shattered ruins or being torn down and terraformed into lush forests. The few cities that do exist are either historical recreations populated by androids or Retro-Villages, an innocent euphemism for a "zoo" for humans. How did this all happen? The twisted Machine that ran the planet known as NEXUS took over, decided humans were vermin that needed to be exterminated, and sent a couple billion robots and released a voracious nanobot plague (triggers any metal that comes into contact with humans & or living beings to be viciously attacked by that metal) to wipe out humankind. The deadly, yet seven multi-personality crazed machine deploys various drones like the Necrobots and Necroborgs, as well as Extermination & Hunter robots not to mention juggernauts of destruction like the Battle Track and Land Dominator to execute the human Resistance.

The story starts generations later, as the Human Resistance makes its boldest move, many utilizing new forms of biotechnology to reclaim parts of their world, seeking to find a way to stop the insane Machine. It is a story of sacrifice and triumph, of undying spirit and weird science. The Resistance is divided into underground or sub-aquatic factions called "Great Houses." Each Great House is armed with an array of super-powerful Host Armors, War Mounts and Bio-Weapons. Specialized militia known as Splicers make up the new factions of infantry; i.e.: Archangels, Dreadguards, Packmasters, Roughnecks, Saints, Scarecrow, Skinjob and others.

With that being said, Splicers is a game for the creative, innovative thinker. There is no magic or major psionics to bail players out, they are forced to think and act with strategy and foresight. It really pulls the role playing out in a player and the customizations are limitless. No two players will be the same even if they opt for the same OCC. Not to mention there are some very unique and
hard to decide on OCCs to choose from,that make playing the game even more entertaining.

Please by all means peruse the Splicer threads and see why we are Spliceheads.
Semi-Retired Gamer
Megaversal® Ambassador

Hell YES that sounds awesome!!!! I'm picking this book up.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

The Splice shall flow. ;-)
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Semi-Retired Gamer wrote:Hell YES that sounds awesome!!!! I'm picking this book up.

WE "Spliceheads" welcome YOU to the FOLD!!!
There is a TON of wonderfully crafted, innovative and well-written devised home brew of contribution material to enhance your Splicers experience on these forums, and an awesome SPLICERS community, plus I invite you to review my art gallery of some of my or co-developed contributions towards this awesome, highly underrated, most slept on game. There is a nice amount of Rifters with new Splicers material that you may also wan to swoop up. With new books in the pipeline we hope to rectify this

Indeed the Splice shall flow!
The Galactus Kid

love it
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

Semi-Retired Gamer
Megaversal® Ambassador

Premier wrote:
Semi-Retired Gamer wrote:Hell YES that sounds awesome!!!! I'm picking this book up.

There is a TON of wonderfully crafted, innovative and well-written devised home brew of contribution material to enhance your Splicers experience on these forums, and an awesome SPLICERS community, plus I invite you to review my art gallery of some of my or co-developed contributions towards this awesome, highly underrated, most slept on game. There is a nice amount of Rifters with new Splicers material that you may also wan to swoop up. With new books in the pipeline we hope to rectify this

Thanks! That art gallery of yours is pretty damn amazing!! Those pics will definitely get the creativity going. I will heed your advice and get all that I can.
The Galactus Kid

You will find that the Splices forum is among the most idea-rich and creatively supportive group around. WE're always here to provide feedback and we all want to see the line thrive. We're here for you, bro.

Guy_LeDouche
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Guy_LeDouche »

Premier wrote:I think it was best written by poster Guy Ledouche in his summary of Splicers:

I was going to start a write up, but seems I was quoted already. Just call me the "Unofficial Splicers Spokesguy".

The Galactus Kid wrote:You will find that the Splices forum is among the most idea-rich and creatively supportive group around. WE're always here to provide feedback and we all want to see the line thrive. We're here for you, bro.

There is so much truth to this statement. I've been on tons of boards and forums over the years and I can honestly say, without exaggeration, this is easily the most supportive and creative one I've come across.
Fairy tales begin with "Once upon a time". Southern fairy tales begin with "Y'all ain't gonna believe this s**t!!"

XBL Gamertag: Guy L3D0uch3

If Keanu Reeves had played Thulsa Doom, he would have told Conan to contemplate on the Tree of Whoa..
Semi-Retired Gamer
Megaversal® Ambassador

Guy_LeDouche wrote:I was going to start a write up, but seems I was quoted already. Just call me the "Unofficial Splicers Spokesguy".

Consider it done!

Now seems like the perfect time to get Splicers with the RIFTER super subscription offer!
PSI-Lence
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by PSI-Lence »

i'm in the same spot as you, i just ordered the rifter special and picked splicers as the gift
(i own dragons and gods but don't have it here with me, don't have the HU base book, and artwork would be great but new game info is higher on my list)

all i knew was that splicers only has one book so far so getting that would get me 100% of the splicers books (and can keep up easier just buying what comes out for it)
and that they are not related to the splicers in rifts

great art premier , looked a bit Lemurian to me ...then looked at the gallery you have and guess i see why , looking forward to seeing more of your work too
i own but am less well versed in RUE, and my memory is ... lackluster at best keep that in mind if my posts contradict canon lol
Witchcraft
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Witchcraft »

It's kinda funny but in many ways the Splicers forum is drastically different than the rest of the Palladium boards. The community sub-set is warm, supportive, very creative, and really inviting. You guys did a great job nurturing a culture of INCLUSIVENESS and engendering a forum of open-discussion to cultivate fan-contributed collaborative creativity.
There is no spoon.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Witchcraft wrote:It's kinda funny but in many ways the Splicers forum is drastically different than the rest of the Palladium boards. The community sub-set is warm, supportive, very creative, and really inviting. You guys did a great job nurturing a culture of INCLUSIVENESS and engendering a forum of open-discussion to cultivate fan-contributed collaborative creativity.

I've noticed this. The Splicers forum is a totally different experience than the Rifts of GM forum.

I love it!

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
krispy
Hero
Comment: Luck favors the prepared

Unread post by krispy »

Hands down, Splicers is my favourite PB game. it latched on and integrated itself into my DNA and is now a part of me :demon:

my imagination has thrived in this game setting, and i continuously think of more material for it.

to previous posts, you are right; this forum is so welcoming and supportive. I have met some great people through this forum and have thoroughly enjoyed the cooperative creative process on some Splicer material

though it has been a while, it has been great posting my ideas on the forum to help the Splice Flow
connecting the dots
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Semi-Retired Gamer wrote:
Premier wrote:

Thanks! That art gallery of yours is pretty damn amazing!! Those pics will definitely get the creativity going. I will heed your advice and get all that I can.

Thank You kindly. I guess we might have to now call you the Rehabilitated-Semi-Retired Gamer (RSRG). An OG of OG's returned back to the game. :lol:

Seriously, WE Spliceheads welcome you and all new comers (Splice Seeds) and are glad you will be delving into the world of Splicers. There is just so... much innovation and customization that I have enjoyed reading and seeing with other Writers, Artists and Gamers, that this is truly my favorite RPG setting. Feel free to ask anything and post your creations. These forum are rich with quality innovations to enhance your gaming Splicers experience. I'm sure once you begin creating you character you will see why Splicers is so addictive.
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

PSI-Lence wrote:i'm in the same spot as you, i just ordered the rifter special and picked splicers as the gift
(i own dragons and gods but don't have it here with me, don't have the HU base book, and artwork would be great but new game info is higher on my list)

all i knew was that splicers only has one book so far so getting that would get me 100% of the splicers books (and can keep up easier just buying what comes out for it)

great art premier , looked a bit Lemurian to me ...then looked at the gallery you have and guess i see why , looking forward to seeing more of your work too

Welcome to the SPLICERS fold PSI-lence. Clever name btw.
Good idea, and there are some nice quality Splicers articles in a few RIFTERS that are awesome gems to get as well, to help enhance your Splicers setting.

The Lemurian art, chuckle. Actually many people were saying the Lemurian art looked more like Splicers art since it came out first. Not sure if that is good or bad, but as long as it is enjoyed I 'm good. I do suspect that the Splicers art will eventually have its true aesthetic signature that will set it apart from other biotechnolgy in the Megaverse/RIFTS, that is my goal anyways.

Thank you once again and I look forward to finally releasing the Splicers material that has been compiled. Both co-developed with Slappy, written by him and Artistically expressed by me. Plus Galactus Kid, Matthew Orr, Krispy, Guy Ledouche also have some goodies brewing that I am looking highly forward to.
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Witchcraft wrote:It's kinda funny but in many ways the Splicers forum is drastically different than the rest of the Palladium boards. The community sub-set is warm, supportive, very creative, and really inviting. You guys did a great job nurturing a culture of INCLUSIVENESS and engendering a forum of open-discussion to cultivate fan-contributed collaborative creativity.

I think I can comfortably say that WE Spliceheads humbly Thank you and appreciate such kind words.
This community is one of the best online creative experiences I have been a part of and we enjoy contributing to this community.
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

flatline wrote:

I've noticed this. The Splicers forum is a totally different experience than the Rifts of GM forum.

I love it!

--flatline

Flatline, I think you might've been bitten, might want to get a blood test and check your DNA because I think you have just been Spliced ;)

We Spliceheads welcome you to the fold. Looking forward to seeing what you start brewing in your creative vats.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Premier wrote:
flatline wrote:

I love it!

--flatline

Flatline, I think you might've been bitten, might want to get a blood test and check your DNA because I think you have just been Spliced ;)

We Spliceheads welcome you to the fold. Looking forward to seeing what you start brewing in your creative vats.

I posted a lot to this forum when I was first digesting Splicers. I still read the threads, but haven't contributed much for a while. I'm still pondering how I might use Splicers to reboot the Wormwood setting, but since I don't have a group right now, I lack the motivation to really put much energy into it.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
PSI-Lence
Dungeon Crawler

Premier wrote:
PSI-Lence wrote:i'm in the same spot as you, i just ordered the rifter special and picked splicers as the gift

Welcome to the SPLICERS fold PSI-lence. Clever name btw.
Good idea, and there are some nice quality Splicers articles in a few RIFTERS that are awesome gems to get as well, to help enhance your Splicers setting.

The Lemurian art, chuckle. Actually many people were saying the Lemurian art looked more like Splicers art since it came out first. Not sure if that is good or bad, but as long as it is enjoyed I 'm good. I do suspect that the Splicers art will eventually have its true aesthetic signature that will set it apart from other biotechnolgy in the Megaverse/RIFTS, that is my goal anyways.

Thank you once again and I look forward to finally releasing the Splicers material that has been compiled. Both co-developed with Slappy, written by him and Artistically expressed by me. Plus Galactus Kid, Matthew Orr, Krispy, Guy Ledouche also have some goodies brewing that I am looking highly forward to.

thanks, thought it was the name i had on this forum years ago but turns out it wasn't (funny never used psionic's all that much in rifts, at least not to any special degree lol)

i got the book today (i was worried that maybe i had ordered dragons and gods since i didn't have it with me, and each day was hoping more and more that it was splicers that came lol) and if anyone asks now to sell them on it (after only flipping through the book for like 5 min so far) i think my answer will be necroborgs/necrobots , not sure what it is that made them seem so much better than murderwraiths i assume the murder wraiths are possible better stat wise (don't have the book on me) but just struck me as a great weapon of terror.

first glance the art in splicers reminded me of wormwood, (hope i'm not stepping on any ones toes or anything i actually like that books art too) and given that i had never seen anything for splicers before (even your DA stuff for rifters) i only seen similar looks from lemuria
(which that too i only had for a few weeks and haven't had the time i'd like yet to go through it with the dozen or so books i ordered since i've been here lol)

i like that i think i saw a point system for making creatures , i think this will be a fun setting if i ever get to actually play or run it :D
i own but am less well versed in RUE, and my memory is ... lackluster at best keep that in mind if my posts contradict canon lol
The Galactus Kid

If you make it to the 2015 palladium Open House, I'll be running at least 2, maybe 3 Splicers games.

PSI-Lence
Dungeon Crawler

The Galactus Kid wrote:If you make it to the 2015 palladium Open House, I'll be running at least 2, maybe 3 Splicers games.

never managed to before, but now that i have a passport (and currently in new york) i might be able to next year

oh forgot also a selling point on splicer's , it's compatible with mechanoid space! :lol: at least that's what it say's on the back guess we wont know till it comes out
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

The Galactus Kid wrote:If you make it to the 2015 palladium Open House, I'll be running at least 2, maybe 3 Splicers games.

oh really....???? hmmmm...
The Galactus Kid

Premier wrote:

oh really....???? hmmmm...

You know it, brother. I'll always be rocking the Splice

Return to “Splicers®”