Splicers 2013

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Splicers 2013

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Is anyone else super excited about Splicers in 2013? I've had a couple really great conversations over the past week and a half, with another expected in the near future. I just have to let you know, 2013 is going to be a great year for this game. THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
89er
Adventurer

Re: Splicers 2013

Unread post by 89er »

Oh I am excited, though we may be due for some solid details about the upcoming books. If the splice heads have some idea what to expect, we can create suggestions for new material that fills in the blanks. For example, if a book comes out about NEXUS, we could come up with suggestions for a technojacker book.

So give us something to get excited about. Also, where are the Gore puppies? We were somewhat promised Gore puppies.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Gore Puppies got eaten by Gore Kitties which in turn got eaten by Gore Pigeons.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
The Galactus Kid

Hahaha. Ah, Gore Puppies...still waiting for Chuck to get a second to draw some up. As for suggestions, it would be best (for legal reasons) to wait until our book comes out or at least is turned in to mention anything. That way there isn't any question about IP etc. I've given numerous hints as to what book I will be working on, and a couple of the Spliceheads are joint me in that endeavor.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

Oh yeah, i am quite excited about 2013 being the year of the Splicing :D
The Dragon Has Spoken
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

honestly, i had started to wonder why it had gotten so quiet over here all of a sudden... guess it's just the calm before the storm :)
Guy_LeDouche
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Guy_LeDouche »

Shark_Force wrote:honestly, i had started to wonder why it had gotten so quiet over here all of a sudden... guess it's just the calm before the storm :)

Very calm, with (hopefully) MUCH storm coming in the next several months.
Fairy tales begin with "Once upon a time". Southern fairy tales begin with "Y'all ain't gonna believe this s**t!!"

XBL Gamertag: Guy L3D0uch3

If Keanu Reeves had played Thulsa Doom, he would have told Conan to contemplate on the Tree of Whoa..
ffranceschi
Adventurer
Comment: "In Absentia Lucis, Tenebrae Vincunt"
Location: Republic of Cordoba, Silver River Republics (Montevideo, Uruguay)

Unread post by ffranceschi »

The Galactus Kid wrote:Is anyone else super excited about Splicers in 2013? I've had a couple really great conversations over the past week and a half, with another expected in the near future. I just have to let you know, 2013 is going to be a great year for this game. THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Yes!!!. Are you going to try crowd funding? I think it will be great for the SPLICERS books to get a HUGE marketing Campaign...and you need money for that...
Head of Northern Gun Research and Development

"I'm ready man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State-of-the-badass-art!" - Private Hudson, ALIENS (1986).
The Galactus Kid

ffranceschi wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:Is anyone else super excited about Splicers in 2013? I've had a couple really great conversations over the past week and a half, with another expected in the near future. I just have to let you know, 2013 is going to be a great year for this game. THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Yes!!!. Are you going to try crowd funding? I think it will be great for the SPLICERS books to get a HUGE marketing Campaign...and you need money for that...

That is a call for Kevin and the staff to make, but I would doubt it. Personally, I think that the first few books for Splicers will be smaller sourcebooks similar to the HU2 powers unlimited books dealing with specific topics and packed full of useful source material.

ffranceschi
Adventurer

But we need a Marketing Campaign or something to create public awareness about SPLICERS. Until 2012, I didn´t buy SPLICERS (because I didn´t like the cover and I thought it wasn´t a good game: only one book in years?). RIFTS Lemuria and Chuck Walton´s art made me want to try it...and the rest is history but still, I feel there are a lot of people out there that need a push to try the setting or just read the main book and the awesome Rifter articles. I hope Kevin goes for the crowd funding option and use the money for Marketing this specific setting. I will be the Ultimate Insider for sure!

"I'm ready man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State-of-the-badass-art!" - Private Hudson, ALIENS (1986).
Shark_Force
Palladin

i don't think crowd funding is the way to market the book, it's a way to fund production once the book has already been marketed.

also, i don't think crowd funding would go as well as before until palladium finishes up with it's current commitments; a lot of people are still waiting on those NG books, and while i'm not one of them, i can certainly understand why they might feel upset if they were asked for more money for products they won't see for a while when they haven't gotten the products they already paid for yet...

plus, if we actually get the amount of books kevin wants to publish this year (which never seems to work out), then i'm pretty sure that alone will get some attention from the palladium crowd. there's splicer material in several of the more popular rifters as well, so there's a way for many people to get a taste of splicers there as well...
Guy_LeDouche
Megaversal® Ambassador

CANNOT wait for this more Splicers stuff!! Fingers crossed and a whispered prayer to the gaming gods that Splicers gets the attention it deserves. And a ton of praise goes to Premier and to Galactus Kid. I sincerely think Premier's amazing artwork and ideas and GK's incredible Rifter articles have gone a long way towards bringing attention to an overlooked game.

ffranceschi wrote: Until 2012, I didn´t buy SPLICERS (because I didn´t like the cover and I thought it wasn´t a good game: only one book in years?). RIFTS Lemuria and Chuck Walton´s art made me want to try it...and the rest is history

ffranceschi, you hit the nail on the head. I've long thought that Splicers didn't find an audience in large part due to the cover. Even I had overlooked Splicers for the longest time simply because of its cover. No offense to the artist however, I don't think the cover truly captures what's in the game. Based solely on the cover, it looked like some kitschy, 1950's style sci-fi setting (of course, that could be fun too.) If a gaming store in Kansas City hadn't been selling it at half off, I would have overlooked it entirely.
Fairy tales begin with "Once upon a time". Southern fairy tales begin with "Y'all ain't gonna believe this s**t!!"

If Keanu Reeves had played Thulsa Doom, he would have told Conan to contemplate on the Tree of Whoa..
ffranceschi
Adventurer

Guy_LeDouche wrote:ffranceschi, you hit the nail on the head. I've long thought that Splicers didn't find an audience in large part due to the cover. Even I had overlooked Splicers for the longest time simply because of its cover. No offense to the artist however, I don't think the cover truly captures what's in the game. Based solely on the cover, it looked like some kitschy, 1950's style sci-fi setting (of course, that could be fun too.) If a gaming store in Kansas City hadn't been selling it at half off, I would have overlooked it entirely.

Right...imagine SPLICERS RPG with a Keith Parkinson cover (RIFTS 1990)! Is it possible to release a SPLICERS RPG "revised cover edition" with Chuck Walton drawing the cover?

The Galactus Kid

I would love for there to be a Splicers Ultimate edition or revised edition in 2014 or so...

89er
Adventurer

Unread post by 89er »

Based on past scraps, the could be new war mounts, bio enhancements, legions of machines, and the Violet Wave.

Blastnation Kevin, give us something to go with!
The Galactus Kid

First project from me and the folks I've been talking with will be more about the third entry on your list 89er. Of course, for PC fun, we'll have a bunch of useful information for those affected by the nanoplague...differently, so to speak.

BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

The Splice Must Flow.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
The Galactus Kid

BookWyrm wrote:The Splice Must Flow.

Gospel.

89er
Adventurer

Unread post by 89er »

Quick question, has Premier said anything about explaining of the cosmology of the Splicers galaxy? Are the other factions of the galaxy quarantining this world so NEXUS does not spread, or did they (NEXUS) do more damage than even it realized to the galactic community?
The Galactus Kid

89er wrote:Quick question, has Premier said anything about explaining of the cosmology of the Splicers galaxy? Are the other factions of the galaxy quarantining this world so NEXUS does not spread, or did they (NEXUS) do more damage than even it realized to the galactic community?

Not that I know of. There was a speculatvie Star Splice thread here a while ago which was pretty fun. I don't know if there will be anything out there exploring that area of possibility right now.

Jedrious
Adventurer

Unread post by Jedrious »

Any word on a Splicers GM Kit
The Galactus Kid

Jedrious wrote:Any word on a Splicers GM Kit

I haven't heard anything about a GM kit one way or another. I think it would be a possibility sometime this year though.

Shark_Force
Palladin

Lost Seraph wrote:Please give us the hawkmaster OCC.

we already have that...
The Galactus Kid

Lost Seraph wrote:Not that was ever completed or displayed, nor were the rules on the hawks.

I think they may have been included in one of the Rifts 0 projects. Also, the Falconer O.C.C. is included in the sticky with Slappy's creations.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

I've assumed, since looking into splicers, that the falconeer occ was just a packmaster with birds.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Jedrious
Adventurer

Unread post by Jedrious »

glitterboy2098 wrote:I've assumed, since looking into splicers, that the falconeer occ was just a packmaster with birds.

To a point, yes, and if you expanded the Packmaster to have more Skill Program Options they would occupy the same space.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Lost Seraph wrote:Not that was ever completed or displayed, nor were the rules on the hawks.

well, i'll repost it here for you. this is, of course, Chris Kluge's work (aka slappy), not mine. the hawks themselves are in rifter 30, page 50; i'll refrain from posting them since they're in the rifter.

slappy wrote:Falconer

The recent creation of Black Talon War Hawks has required the creation of a new force of elite warriors to command them. Much like the Packmaster, the Falconer acts like the general of his own private army of genetically enhanced animals. However, not everyone has what it takes to be a Falconer. In order to command these spirited war birds, a Falconer must have a strong will and excellent leadership skills. Black Hawks are nearly as smart as humans, and they expect to be treated with respect. This does not matter so much with the Falconer’s own hawks since they bond with him at birth, but it does come into play when a Falconer falls in battle. The imprinted bond with all his War Hawks is severed and they are free to go wherever they wish. The Resistance does not want to lose any of these valuable creations, so they make sure their Falconers know how to win the respect and loyalty of master-less War Hawks. A skilled Falconer can form just as strong a bond with one of these lost birds as its old imprinted bond, which helps retain a valuable resource for the Resistance while increasing the strength of his own flock.

Black Talons are mainly used for aerial reconnaissance. Everything the War Hawk sees and hears is transmitted back to the Falconer via a specially designed Bio Comm. The images are fed directly into the Falconer’s brain through a special helmet and organic implant. When the first suit of Falconer Armor was created, the wearer was actually able to view the signals from multiple War Hawks and use his own eyes all at once. Falconers quickly became an incredible resource in combat because they could see every inch of the battlefield simultaneously. It made them formidable warriors, but the stress from the incredible sensory overload caused irreparable neurological damage after only a few months. The suit has since been redesigned to protect the wearer, but it is no longer as powerful as it once was. The Falconer can only interpret the visual signal from one hawk at a time, but he can switch between images from multiple War Hawks instantly (provided they are in range). The other drawback to the new (but safe) design is that the wearer’s own eyes must remain covered to protect his brain from sensory overload. This weakness has actually led to one of the Falconer’s greatest strengths.

Prospective Falconers train for years in a special martial art form that focuses on fighting blind in order to get them comfortable with Falconer Armor. The suit does have radar to make up for forcing the wearer to fight blind, but in reality, a Falconer is never blind as long as one of his War Hawks is nearby. Some Falconers will keep one bird perched on their back to continuously act like their eyes, but most prefer to have their birds circle overhead so they can see what is happening all around them. It takes some adjustment to learn to control your own movements from a third-person perspective, but after a while, they simply cannot imagine doing it any other way.

Aside from the sightless helmet, Falconer Armor is also unique because it straddles the gap between simple Living Armor and Host Armor. Falconer Armor has its own skeletal structure and muscle system to enhance the strength and speed of the wearer. This is necessary since the Falconer’s War Hawks will often perch on the suit. Since Black Talon War Hawks each weigh around thirty pounds, a normal human would be crushed under their weight without a little help. The suit has two perches mounted on the back just behind each shoulder and thick gloves on each hand. This allows the Falconer to carry up to six War Hawks at once (although it is usually only four). The gloves and perches are not just places for his War Hawks to rest. The Black Talon’s feet form a neurological connection with the wearer through these points. When the War Hawks land on the perches or gloves, man and beast become one. The Falconer can sense the emotions and thoughts of each War Hawk. Their thoughts are strange and alien compared to human thoughts, but Falconers learn to understand and communicate with them (at least to a point). This allows the Falconer to issue commands exactly as he intended (instead of losing something in the translation), and these orders are delivered telepathically, which is vital when operating deep within enemy territory.

In the short time since the Falconers were formed, they have proven themselves to be a tremendous resource to the Resistance. Their War Hawks provide valuable battlefield intelligence without attracting the attention of the Machine, and they make formidable spies, saboteurs, and combatants. Falconers have quickly gained the respect of every Splicer in the Resistance. A fact that Packmasters find irritating and insulting. Their roles are very similar, yet Falconers get all the glory while Packmasters get treated like glorified animal trainers. Packmasters do not think they deserve any respect. They think Falconers are cowards who hide in the shadows while their War Hawks do all the work and take all the risks. They think Falconers are not brave enough to fight side by side with the beasts they control, but they are more than willing to accept the glory. Packmasters do not understand how they have garnered so much more respect as warriors for performing such a similar job. The truth is that the Falconers did endure the same types of taunts in the beginning, but their martial arts training allowed them to quickly “respond” to these jokes. Most Splicers find it safer to give Falconers a wide berth and just make fun of their favorite punching bag, the Packmasters. In reality, both groups are equally respected throughout the Resistance. It just does not feel that way to the Packmasters.

Alignment: Any, but typically good or selfish.
Attribute Requirements: I.Q.: 10, M.E.: 12, M.A.: 12, and P.P.: 12 or higher.
Attribute Bonuses: +3 to I.Q., +1D4 to M.E., +1D6 to M.A., +1D4 to P.S., +1D6 to P.P., and +1D6 to Spd.
O.C.C. Bonuses: +2 on initiative, +1 to parry and dodge, +4 to save vs. horror factor, and the Falconer has a slight Bio-Enhancement himself, the insertion of a special Bio-Comm unit inside the skull, it enables him to verbally communicate with both human and animal operatives, but to translate the visual signals from his War Hawks, he must be wearing his Falconer Helmet.
Base S.D.C.: 40, plus any from Physical skills.
Common Skills: Standard.
O.C.C. Skill Program: Basic Military (+20%), Martial Arts (with the addition of Blind Fighting +40%), Weapons Training, Reconnaissance/Scout (+20%), Saboteur (+10%) or Wingman (only 25% of Falconers choose to don a Wingpack and join their War Hawks in the sky).
Special Skill: Command War Hawks: This skill goes well beyond simple falconry. The Falconer learns everything there is to know about Black Talon War Hawks. He learns what motivates them, how they think, how to gain their respect, and even how to translate their alien thoughts into something they can understand. When a Falconer links with his War Hawks through his Falconer Armor, he can almost converse with his birds through a telepathic exchange of emotions and images. The most important aspect of this training is that the Falconer learns how to approach and recruit Black Talon War Hawks that have lost their original Falconer master. When the Falconer discovers a lost War Hawk, it must first try to coax the bird to land on one of his Falconer Armor’s neural connection points (gloves or perches). Both the Falconer and Black Talon must perform a Battle of Wills roll. This involves rolling a twenty-sided die and adding in their I.Q. and M.A. attribute numbers. The Falconer also adds in any bonus from his Command War Hawks skill. If the Falconer wins, the War Hawk will land on his armor to start a “conversation.” If the Black Talon wins, it will fly off and must be tracked down so the process can be started again. The War Hawks consider it a sign of respect if the new Falconer is willing to chase after them, so it will be -2 on all subsequent Battle of Wills rolls against the Falconer. Once the Black Talon lands on the armor, the Falconer must win two out of three Battle of Wills rolls to gain the loyalty of the Black Talon and add it to his personal flock. Failure at this point means the War Hawk finds the Falconer unworthy, and it will never consider joining his flock. This skill provides a bonus of +1 to Battle of Wills rolls at levels 3, 6, 9, 12, and 15. Game Master Note: I highly recommend limiting the number of lost War Hawks the character stumbles across. It should occur very rarely, or else the player will build a ridiculously large army of attack animals.
Elective Skills: Select any one Wilderness Skill and Bio Comms (+20%), and three Electives from the following list at first level. Select another two Elective Skills at levels 2, 4, 8, and 12. All new skills start at level one proficiency.
Communications: Any (+5%)
Domestic: Any (+10%)
Espionage: Any (+10%)
Medical: First Aid only.
Military: Any (+5%)
Physical: Any
Rogue: Gambling and Find Contraband only.
Science: Any (+5%)
Technical: Any
Transportation: Any, except Host Armor Combat.
Wilderness Survival: Any (+10%)
W.P.s: Any
Secondary Skills: The character gets to select four Secondary Skills at level one and one additional skill at levels 3, 6, 9, 12, and 15. These are additional areas of knowledge that do not receive any special O.C.C. bonuses.
Black Talon War Hawks: The Falconer begins with one Black Talon War Hawk and receives an additional one at levels 2, 4, 7, 10, and 13. Each Black Talon can be Bio-Enhanced any way the character desires – he has 4D4+20 Bio-E points available for each, plus another 1D10+20 Bio-E points total per level of the character’s experience to spend on one or more of his War Hawks for additional enhancements. Slain War Hawks are replaced with the basic animal with 5D4 Bio-E points for enhancements.
Special Bonus: If the character’s combined I.Q. and M.A. is 28 or higher, it means Black Talon War Hawks view him as an impressive individual worthy of their loyalty. As a result, the Falconer has already convinced a few War Hawks that have lost their master to join his personal flock. This is a one time bonus when the character is first created. Roll on the following chart to see how many additional Black Talon War Hawks he has:
01-40% One additional War Hawk with 6D6 Bio-E points available for enhancements (player chooses the enhancements).
41-60% One additional War Hawk with 10D6 Bio-E points available for enhancements (GM chooses the enhancements).
61-80% Two additional War Hawks, each with 6D6 Bio-E points available for enhancements (player chooses the enhancements).
81-95% Two additional War Hawks, each with 10D6 Bio-E points available for enhancements (GM chooses the enhancements).
96-00% 1D4 additional War Hawks, each with 2D12 Bio-E points available for enhancements (player chooses the enhancements).
M.D.C. “Living” Body Armor: A special suit of Falconer Armor that is a cross between Heavy Hide Armor and Host Armor. The helmet is shaped like an eagle’s head, but it has no eyes in order to block the wearer’s sight. The special helmet receives audio signals and visual images from his Black Talon War Hawks and feeds those images directly into the wearer’s brain. The images from only one hawk can be viewed at a time, but the wearer can switch to images from any of his hawks instantly. Maximum range of the transmission is only 6 miles. Bonuses when a War Hawk is providing images around the Falconer from overhead: +4 on initiative, +2 to strike at targets that are behind him or hiding behind cover, +2 to parry and dodge attacks from behind.
Built-in Radar helps the wearer see when his War Hawks are out of range. It provides bonuses of one additional attack per melee, +1 on initiative, +1 to strike, parry, and dodge. Maximum range of 6 miles.
The thick gloves and perches mounted behind each shoulder act as neural connections that the Falconer uses to communicate telepathically with his hawks. The armor has its own skeletal structure and muscle system in order to enhance the strength and speed of the Falconer. The suit adds 6 points to P.S. and converts it to Splicer/Robotic Strength plus an additional 3D4x10 to Speed. M.D.C. is 1D10x10+60 for the Main Body, 1D6x10+10 for the Arms and Legs, 1D6x10+30 for the Head, 4D10 for the Back-Mounted Perches, and 3D10 for the Gloves.
The character gets 3D10+20 Bio-E points for selections from Other Sensory Systems, Biological Defenses, Flight Appendages, and Offensive Bio-Weapons.
Standard Equipment: Military fatigues, dress clothing, survival knife, utility belt, first-aid kit, 1D4 Slap Patches, Face Wrap, tinted goggles, hatchet for cutting wood, one light or heavy Bio-Weapon of choice and one weapon for each W.P. with appropriate ammunition for heavy combat, a satchel filled with 1D4+3 Migs and an equal number of Squigs, a good Mega-Horse or standard Wingpack for transportation, tent, knapsack, backpack, two water skins, emergency food rations (two weeks supply for the man, one week for all the hawks; they can catch whatever else they need) and some personal items.
Money: Has 1D6x100 credits in precious metals, relics or trade items, as well as 6D6x10 in available credits. Money can be spent now on additional equipment or saved for later.
The Upside: The Black Talon War Hawks are indispensable to the war effort, and you are one of the only people they will listen to. They provide valuable aerial intelligence, they can infiltrate and spy on places no other member of the Resistance can, and they are fearsome combatants (especially when they attack en mass). Your unique connection lets you look down on the world from above through their eyes, which can provide invaluable information in the field.
The Downside: In order for your connection with your War Hawks to properly function without frying your brain, your eyes must be completely covered. Looking through the eyes of your hawks or using your built-in radar overcomes this problem, but the speedy Black Talons are continuously swooping in and out of range and your radar is easily fouled by rain, snow, and sandstorms. This means you are constantly running the risk of being totally blind in the field. Your training helps lesson the penalties from fighting blind, but you will still be easy pickings for the Machine.
The Galactus Kid

glitterboy2098 wrote:I've assumed, since looking into splicers, that the falconeer occ was just a packmaster with birds.

Close, but different.

krispy
Hero
Comment: Luck favors the prepared

Unread post by krispy »

I must say, i am extremely pumped this year

my imagination has gone into overdrive, and i have been writing non-stop this year

i have 2 ideas ready to go for the upcoming Metal Storm, and i await the setting to see what else i can bring to the table for it.

the Splice flows through my veins
connecting the dots
The Galactus Kid

krispy wrote:i have 2 ideas ready to go for the upcoming Metal Storm,

hmmm...we might have to usurp those, lol

Snake Eyes
Hero

I agree with krispy, i'm excited about Splicers this year too......

I've got like 3 ideas/notes/stuff written down......Its slow in coming (hard to write/type with chronic pain)....

But i have ideas for new Biotic types, possibly new HAs (maybe new metabolism), new mounts
The Dragon Has Spoken
Guy_LeDouche
Megaversal® Ambassador

89er wrote:Quick question, has Premier said anything about explaining of the cosmology of the Splicers galaxy? Are the other factions of the galaxy quarantining this world so NEXUS does not spread, or did they (NEXUS) do more damage than even it realized to the galactic community?

Just one guy talking, but here's my take on the unusual cosmology of Splicers (especially when compared to the rest of the Multiverse):

In the LeDouche-Verse, the world of Splicers is a Dyson Sphere (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_sphere#Fiction), an artificial construct completely surrounding a star and enclosing it in a enourmous shell. The shell has an internal radius of exactly one astronomical unit — the distance from Earth to the Sun. The inner surface of the sphere is one big Earth-like environment, with a normal atmosphere, untouched wilderness and 1 G. of gravity.

The sphere itself is constructed of an unknown material since whatever comprises the shell is covered by a very thick crust and mantle of Earth-like geology, complete with a deep subterranean asthenosphere that makes the surface of the sphere tectonically active. The shell thickness is nearly the diameter of an Earth class planet.

Who built it and how is a complete and total mystery (even to me, I haven't thought that far ahead.) But, the sphere seems to siphon off the natural P.P.E./I.S.P. that would normally appear, making the Splicers world a mystic "dead zone". The shell itself, as well as numerous galactic rifts that lead up to the sphere, also greatly interfere with dimensional and FTL travel, making it difficult (if not impossible) for outsiders to discover it. Now, as to where all this leeched energy is going or what its being used for or even why....who knows?

Thus far, no one in the Splicers world even has a clue about this.

89er
Adventurer

Unread post by 89er »

Guy_LeDouche wrote:

Just one guy talking, but here's my take on the unusual cosmology of Splicers (especially when compared to the rest of the Multiverse):

In the LeDouche-Verse, the world of Splicers is a Dyson Sphere (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_sphere#Fiction), an artificial construct completely surrounding a star and enclosing it in a enourmous shell. The shell has an internal radius of exactly one astronomical unit — the distance from Earth to the Sun. The inner surface of the sphere is one big Earth-like environment, with a normal atmosphere, untouched wilderness and 1 G. of gravity.

The sphere itself is constructed of an unknown material since whatever comprises the shell is covered by a very thick crust and mantle of Earth-like geology, complete with a deep subterranean asthenosphere that makes the surface of the sphere tectonically active. The shell thickness is nearly the diameter of an Earth class planet.

Who built it and how is a complete and total mystery (even to me, I haven't thought that far ahead.) But, the sphere seems to siphon off the natural P.P.E./I.S.P. that would normally appear, making the Splicers world a mystic "dead zone". The shell itself, as well as numerous galactic rifts that lead up to the sphere, also greatly interfere with dimensional and FTL travel, making it difficult (if not impossible) for outsiders to discover it. Now, as to where all this leeched energy is going or what its being used for or even why....who knows?

Oh that is a neat concept.
My idea was that the rest of the populated galaxy cut off contact with the planet when NEXUS went to pieces. About a generation later, they decide to sent one gargantuan ship or a fleet of ships to quarantine the world. Not to help people, not mass destruction, just ensure nothing gets into the rest of the galaxy. That was how far I got, any feedback?
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Guy_LeDouche wrote:In the LeDouche-Verse, the world of Splicers is a Dyson Sphere (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_sphere#Fiction), an artificial construct completely surrounding a star and enclosing it in a enourmous shell. The shell has an internal radius of exactly one astronomical unit — the distance from Earth to the Sun. The inner surface of the sphere is one big Earth-like environment, with a normal atmosphere, untouched wilderness and 1 G. of gravity.
-snip-

given that inside a dyson sphere
a) there would be no no day-night cycle
b) looking up into the sky near the horizon would let you see the land curving 'up into the sky'

it is highly unlikely anyone would be ignorant of the nature of the kind of structure they are on. even less likely that they'd think they are on a regular planet, as borne out by the various fluff of the game.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Guy_LeDouche
Megaversal® Ambassador

glitterboy2098 wrote:it is highly unlikely anyone would be ignorant of the nature of the kind of structure they are on. even less likely that they'd think they are on a regular planet, as borne out by the various fluff of the game.

Sure they could. If some force, entity, race, etc. could actually build a Dyson Sphere, those would be fairly simple tasks by comparison. The construction of a sphere alone challenges even the most advanced forms of theoretical science. An entire Earth-like solar system would have to be mined in entirely, every single planet, moon and asteroid just to get raw materials to construct the shell. On a purely engineering front, the pressure placed upon any point of the shell would tremendous.

After an undertaking of such magnitude and everything that would go along with it (creating internal "natural" weather patterns, handling the energy output of the central star, keeping the interior of the sphere from "falling" inward to collide with the central star, etc.) a day/night cycle or addressing the horizon view would be a walk in the park.

In short, this place operates by its own rules. Natural laws that we take for granted don’t always apply or they apply in strange and unfamiliar ways. I'm pretty avid about keeping the magic and the supernatural out of Splicers. But at the same time, I wanted something that was a bit different and would explain why this world didn't "fit" with the rest of the Megaverse.

Sure, it's a cop out, but ultimately, its a game.

BookWyrm
Champion

Even though I'm a late-comer to the Splicers game, I'm enjoying it. Once the House Creation Rules are available, I'm going to start on an idea for a House I have.....
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Premier »

BookWyrm wrote:Even though I'm a late-comer to the Splicers game, I'm enjoying it. Once the House Creation Rules are available, I'm going to start on an idea for a House I have.....

Welcome to the fold. I am hoping that we can keep the energy burning bright for the upcoming Splicers sourcebooks as that was one of the big sections we wanted to get covered so that gamers could flush out things a little better. I would love to help out but I am not sure what will make the edits and what wont and what will be altered or expanded on.

What I can easily say or suggest is when building a Great House for Splicers, be prepared for some solid groundwork. Try to not focus on just one idea of a House, but also for it's neighboring houses, resources, habitat, origins, etc. It helps sculpt the setting even better. :eek: ... you'll see I meant to say.
BookWyrm
Champion

Yes, Premier, I can see that. Thanks. :D
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

ffranceschi wrote:
Guy_LeDouche wrote:ffranceschi, you hit the nail on the head. I've long thought that Splicers didn't find an audience in large part due to the cover. Even I had overlooked Splicers for the longest time simply because of its cover. No offense to the artist however, I don't think the cover truly captures what's in the game. Based solely on the cover, it looked like some kitschy, 1950's style sci-fi setting (of course, that could be fun too.) If a gaming store in Kansas City hadn't been selling it at half off, I would have overlooked it entirely.

Right...imagine SPLICERS RPG with a Keith Parkinson cover (RIFTS 1990)! Is it possible to release a SPLICERS RPG "revised cover edition" with Chuck Walton drawing the cover?

Whew, Thanks for the vote of confidence Ffrancesci!
I would love to see work on a revised/updated edition of Splicers and have discussed the possibilities numerous times., even redrawn the original War mounts and O.C.C.s just for the possibility. I also have pondered various cover options many times, and I know there was a brief discussion some where on what a Splicers cover should indeed have if a revised edition was done. Krispy, Technogothic, Guy Ledouche, and I think a few others mentioned some very nice & innovative ideas. I certainly would go for the gusto!
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

I have some plans to touch on this coming up very soon, based on conversations previously with Carmen. There is just some so much brewing for Splicers, I am amped to get them going. As soon as I get the last 2 Unleashed Entries done, You will soon see what I mean. It really writes itself, but then again it some of it may be eye openers.
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

krispy wrote:I must say, i am extremely pumped this year

my imagination has gone into overdrive, and i have been writing non-stop this year

i have 2 ideas ready to go for the upcoming Metal Storm, and i await the setting to see what else i can bring to the table for it.

the Splice flows through my veins

Indeed... I can't wait to see/read your reaction when Metal Storm's intro begins. I may up the amount of entries to 4-5 maximum for each Poster. Metal Storm is going to be just that big! :eek:
89er
Adventurer

Unread post by 89er »

Great gears of Gort, it sounds like the upcoming books, Metal Storm, and the galaxy of Splicers are all tied together.

Speculation: None at the moment but still excited.
89er
Adventurer

Unread post by 89er »

droid17 wrote:i have an idea if is not too late. why not add 7 sentient artificial intelligence with males personalities that can be the opponents and competition of the 7 AIs nexus sisters???

is just my opinion idea nothing more. what do you think?

My idea was similar, only the males would be children of NEXUS and somewhat more dangerous.
BookWyrm
Champion

Sorry this is late answering.
If I recall correctly, there is at least one fictional Dyson Ring that solved the problem of a 'night time' on the inside; large black monolithic slabs that floated high above the inner surface, at an equal distance so that each one created an eclipse-like shadow. I may have just named it, but as I typed this, I am nursing a bad headache, the aftermath of an optical migraine (my first).

For the Sphere, I would imagine something similar, but a kind of 1/4-shell shape, with the gaps allowing for "daytime" and the covered/blocked for "night-time". the points would correspond with the north & south poles of both the inner-sun and the shell, like on a spindle.
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

I still need to find the time to figure out how to reboot Wormwood using Splicers to fill the gaps.

My gut tells me that there is enormous potential for combining the two, but I can't seem to get started.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Snake Eyes
Hero

flatline wrote:I still need to find the time to figure out how to reboot Wormwood using Splicers to fill the gaps.

My gut tells me that there is enormous potential for combining the two, but I can't seem to get started.

--flatline

That sounds like a great idea
The Dragon Has Spoken
darkguyver
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: I have writing disability so if need me retype please let me known thank for read and posting please be respectful

Unread post by darkguyver »

Well it month 4 I don't think going get any new book this year.
Image/Image

Megaversal Ambassador®
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

darkguyver wrote:Well it month 4 I don't think going get any new book this year.

Buck up, little camper! Tomorrow's another day!

There's enough good material being published in this very forum to keep your game filled with new ideas. The fact that it isn't canon doesn't diminish the quality or the potential.

But I agree, I'd like a new book to flip through.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
krispy
Hero
Comment: Luck favors the prepared

Unread post by krispy »

flatline wrote:
darkguyver wrote:Well it month 4 I don't think going get any new book this year.

Buck up, little camper! Tomorrow's another day!
There's enough good material being published in this very forum to keep your game filled with new ideas. The fact that it isn't canon doesn't diminish the quality or the potential.
But I agree, I'd like a new book to flip through.
--flatline

i agree with flatline regarding the material on this forum, it is top notch, regardless if it isnt official cannon

i have decided to write an expansion article for my H. Pandorum that was published in the Rifter 60....if i get my b*&^ in gear, hopefully i can have it submitted by september....more plants, more template biotics, unique weapons :demon: let chaos reign
connecting the dots
Shark_Force
Palladin

i'm not convinced yet that we won't get anything this year.

i mean, i was never convinced we were going to get 4 books, or whatever it was that kevin said was going to happen. i always considered that to be very unrealistic. but i think we could still get 1 book. realistically, kevin's probably heard enough rage over NG 1 and 2, those will be next in line (as they should be, since he's already taken people's money for them). that's probably the next 4-6 months right there. that leaves a few months to get other stuff out. it all hinges on what that "other stuff" will be... it may very well be one of the other books that was promised, after all.

and hey, it's always possible (though i still consider it unlikely) that kevin will actually manage to write a couple of books in a month. apparently atlantis was written in something like 2 weeks, so it could happen.

Return to “Splicers®”