Splicers 2013

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Re: Splicers 2013

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Yeah, from what I've been able to glean from the forums, there is material for at least three books right now already turned in to Palladium. I know that there is a work in progress right now which will probably be turned in by the end of the summer.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Jedrious
Adventurer

Unread post by Jedrious »

The Galactus Kid wrote:Yeah, from what I've been able to glean from the forums, there is material for at least three books right now already turned in to Palladium. I know that there is a work in progress right now which will probably be turned in by the end of the summer.

We're not particularly worried about the volume of content, we're worried about the editing process. Personally, I think Kev should have Carmen take over the editing of the Splicers books and have Wayne do Proofreading.
The Galactus Kid

Nothing against Carmen, but that dude is busy with A LOT of other things right now. I know he would do anything that Kevin asked of him, but I think it would really bottle neck some things. Personally, I'm working on the Sovietski book (the project that just won't die) and then I'm working hot and heavy on a Splicers book that already has a great amount of awesome material from a couple of fan favorites here on the forums. That should be an easy submission and a quick edit. I think the material that was turned in earlier may have a little bit of editing to break it up into the right size and similar subject matter, but I really have no idea of the level of work needed, so I should just leave well enough alone.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

the work is already bottlenecked. i find it hard to believe it would get more bottlenecked by doubling (to 2) the number of people working on it.

i mean, sure, carmen working on it instead of kevin might not result in the book coming out any time soon (presumably the stuff carmen is working on is also something that should get done sooner rather than later)... but, the thing is, it isn't likely to get done soon if kevin does the editing either =S

either way, we're gonna be waiting a while, i figure =S
The Galactus Kid

Shark_Force wrote:the work is already bottlenecked. i find it hard to believe it would get more bottlenecked by doubling (to 2) the number of people working on it.

i mean, sure, carmen working on it instead of kevin might not result in the book coming out any time soon (presumably the stuff carmen is working on is also something that should get done sooner rather than later)... but, the thing is, it isn't likely to get done soon if kevin does the editing either =S

either way, we're gonna be waiting a while, i figure =S

I guess I'm saying that I don't think that Carment working on it would relieve the bottleneck either since he's busy with other projects (though i'd love to be proven wrong). I have Splicers stuff that I'd love to work on, but have other stuff to finish before I can dive into it, but if Kevin gave me the word, I'd be willing to put all other projects on hold and manage the entire line. Just sayin'

Shark_Force
Palladin

i'd be happy to see the books get published even without editing, to be honest... but i get the impression kevin is a bit of a control freak, and the betrayal of trust a few years back probably didn't help any either. i think he has a hard time letting anyone else take care of the editing and approvals and such.
darkguyver
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: I have writing disability so if need me retype please let me known thank for read and posting please be respectful

re:Splicers 2013

Unread post by darkguyver »

Well I get I did put the idea get all slappy stuff together put out sourcebook or at less put together a hardback book.
Image/Image

Megaversal Ambassador®
darkguyver
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: I have writing disability so if need me retype please let me known thank for read and posting please be respectful

krispy wrote:
flatline wrote:
darkguyver wrote:Well it month 4 I don't think going get any new book this year.

Buck up, little camper! Tomorrow's another day!
There's enough good material being published in this very forum to keep your game filled with new ideas. The fact that it isn't canon doesn't diminish the quality or the potential.
But I agree, I'd like a new book to flip through.
--flatline

i agree with flatline regarding the material on this forum, it is top notch, regardless if it isnt official cannon

i have decided to write an expansion article for my H. Pandorum that was published in the Rifter 60....if i get my b*&^ in gear, hopefully i can have it submitted by september....more plants, more template biotics, unique weapons :demon: let chaos reign

sweet deal
Image/Image

Megaversal Ambassador®
Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Premier »

I guess its time for me to surface from the cryo chambers for a second. I have been at the PB office for quite some time, especially as of recent banging out the final NG art for approves and what not. Please don't think for a second that I am not in the office dropping reminders and seeds about the SPLICERS sourcebook(s). Kevin and I discuss numerous topics,(obvious Vampires, NG material as priority) but certainly my heart for SPLICERS is also a focal point. Believe me that the material that Slappy and I have submitted which is a ton is not going to just sit idle. This is not to mention the cover is already done and so is a boatload of interior art, which will help the speed of this publication once it is edited. The key is to keep the energy, demand and presence HOT so that Kevin knows and is consistently REMINDED (hint, hint) we want this material out BAD.... ;)

So whenever you talk with Kevin or anyone at PB or send in your orders for other titles, PLEASE ASK ABOUT SPLICERS additional material so that we can hopefully expedite DESIRED results.
darkguyver
Megaversal® Ambassador

Premier wrote:I guess its time for me to surface from the cryo chambers for a second. I have been at the PB office for quite some time, especially as of recent banging out the final NG art for approves and what not. Please don't think for a second that I am not in the office dropping reminders and seeds about the SPLICERS sourcebook(s). Kevin and I discuss numerous topics,(obvious Vampires, NG material as priority) but certainly my heart for SPLICERS is also a focal point. Believe me that the material that Slappy and I have submitted which is a ton is not going to just sit idle. This is not to mention the cover is already done and so is a boatload of interior art, which will help the speed of this publication once it is edited. The key is to keep the energy, demand and presence HOT so that Kevin knows and is consistently REMINDED (hint, hint) we want this material out BAD.... ;)

So whenever you talk with Kevin or anyone at PB or send in your orders for other titles, PLEASE ASK ABOUT SPLICERS additional material so that we can hopefully expedite DESIRED results.

OH I have every time I placed a order to company ask about SPLICERS.
Image/Image

Megaversal Ambassador®
ffranceschi
Adventurer
Comment: "In Absentia Lucis, Tenebrae Vincunt"
Location: Republic of Cordoba, Silver River Republics (Montevideo, Uruguay)

Unread post by ffranceschi »

Premier wrote:I guess its time for me to surface from the cryo chambers for a second. I have been at the PB office for quite some time, especially as of recent banging out the final NG art for approves and what not. Please don't think for a second that I am not in the office dropping reminders and seeds about the SPLICERS sourcebook(s). Kevin and I discuss numerous topics,(obvious Vampires, NG material as priority) but certainly my heart for SPLICERS is also a focal point. Believe me that the material that Slappy and I have submitted which is a ton is not going to just sit idle. This is not to mention the cover is already done and so is a boatload of interior art, which will help the speed of this publication once it is edited. The key is to keep the energy, demand and presence HOT so that Kevin knows and is consistently REMINDED (hint, hint) we want this material out BAD.... ;)

I am waiting for my NG Benefactor calls to do precisely that! Kevin should keep his top "Crowd Founders" happy, I guess...
Head of Northern Gun Research and Development

"I'm ready man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State-of-the-badass-art!" - Private Hudson, ALIENS (1986).
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

ffranceschi wrote:

I am waiting for my NG Benefactor calls to do precisely that! Kevin should keep his top "Crowd Founders" happy, I guess...

I agree wholeheartedly and that will be a perfect opportunity to remind him of what we are so desperate in need of. The more the inquiries & requests the more he will be reminded regardless of how busy he is , and this will help move Splicers into the production scheme of things far quicker than for any of so wait and being silent. We need to be very squeaky. :D
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

darkguyver wrote:

Thank YOU!!!! Please continue to do this as EVERY requests and or inquiry helps remind PB that we NEED & WANT our SPLICE!
The Galactus Kid

Premier wrote:
darkguyver wrote:

Thank YOU!!!! Please continue to do this as EVERY requests and or inquiry helps remind PB that we NEED & WANT our SPLICE!

I agree. This is awesome. Also, I'm glad that Chuck keeps dropping hints to Kev. Splicers is like an earwig...

Premier

Unread post by Premier »

The Galactus Kid wrote:
Premier wrote:
darkguyver wrote:

I agree. This is awesome. Also, I'm glad that Chuck keeps dropping hints to Kev. Splicers is like an earwig...

Oh Trust, Once NG 1 & 2 artwork are completed, I will be making sure Kevin sees the brooding Splicers artwork surging. "Big things come from small beginnings," and Splicers has been small (via one sourcebook) for far... too long. I have dreamed about Splicers and I think I am beginning to come down with a new insanity of Splicersmania.

The only cure is more Splice
The Galactus Kid

Once we get our books done Chuck, I'll let you know. Actually, I can pretty much guarantee that you'll see most of the stuff before Palladium does. hahaha.

boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

Getting depressing.
The Galactus Kid

boxee wrote:Getting depressing.

We feel your pain. We all have multiple projects going on right now, but keep the faith...or we'll hand you over for Biotic coversion.

Ordered Chaos
D-Bee

Unread post by Ordered Chaos »

What's up guys. I know I'm way behind the 8 ball here but I had the same issue as ffranceschi stated much earlier in the thread. I played Rifts a few years back which led me into looking into the other games, which in turn, led me to buying other products but I, for one reason or another, wrote this setting off. In fact, I only starting really searching for info about a week ago after seeing some art from Chuck on DA that made me curious about what his drawings were. Now, you can bet your sweet ass that as soon as I get some free time and can get a group I'll be pushing to, "let the splice flow" haha. It's crazy to think how under publicized this particular setting is though, a shame really.
"Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight." Psalm 144:1
The Galactus Kid

Ordered Chaos wrote:What's up guys. I know I'm way behind the 8 ball here but I had the same issue as ffranceschi stated much earlier in the thread. I played Rifts a few years back which led me into looking into the other games, which in turn, led me to buying other products but I, for one reason or another, wrote this setting off. In fact, I only starting really searching for info about a week ago after seeing some art from Chuck on DA that made me curious about what his drawings were. Now, you can bet your sweet ass that as soon as I get some free time and can get a group I'll be pushing to, "let the splice flow" haha. It's crazy to think how under publicized this particular setting is though, a shame really.

AWESOME!!!

Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Ordered Chaos wrote:What's up guys. I know I'm way behind the 8 ball here but I had the same issue as ffranceschi stated much earlier in the thread. I played Rifts a few years back which led me into looking into the other games, which in turn, led me to buying other products but I, for one reason or another, wrote this setting off. In fact, I only starting really searching for info about a week ago after seeing some art from Chuck on DA that made me curious about what his drawings were. Now, you can bet your sweet ass that as soon as I get some free time and can get a group I'll be pushing to, "let the splice flow" haha. It's crazy to think how under publicized this particular setting is though, a shame really.

Welcome to the Splice Ordered Chaos!
Glad to see that you discovered the gallery and were spliced. There is definitely a boat load of quality material here on the Splicers forums that can fill campaigns for years... to come. I love reading through the threads, perusing the contributions and seeing how inspirational and energized we "Spliceheads" can be. :D

I do agree wholeheartedly that this setting is so under publicized, and I hope ALL of us can help change that. I think Kevin is starting to get it per some of our most recent conversations about Splicers, but I want to continue to pile the demand and request for Splice.

Even in polls such as this:

Poll that Spliceheads should voice in [

... WE all should be making our presence well known to Polls and PB what we Spliceheads seek.
Last edited by Premier on Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
phoenixget
D-Bee
Comment: GM'ing is for suckers! (Dammit, suckered again!)

Unread post by phoenixget »

So, I have a question (and please note I understand there has been QUITE a bit of back and forth on the basic premise of this):

Why not (instead of printing 1-3 Splicers Source Books) PDF a series of "Rifter: The Splicers Specials" series?

Didn't Rifter #0 do well? And the (I guess) bonus would be that the stuff could be called "Authorized" or "Approved" as opposed to "Official"....
Shark_Force
Palladin

because that would mean that before persuading kevin that there's a need for more splicers material, we'd have to persuade kevin that there's a need for PDF-only publications.

with the key difference that i'm pretty sure kevin *wants* to publish more for splicers (not exclusively, or anything... i think he wants to publish more stuff for every setting), but i don't get the impression that kevin wants to go towards PDF-only releases at all.

or, to put it another way... publishing splicers material is not really at the top of the list of things he'd like to get done, but it's somewhere towards the top (along with publishing material for each other setting, too... i seem to recall his goal for this year included at least one, maybe 2 BTS books and some palladium fantasy stuff too, plus of course some rifts etc). publishing PDF-only releases, on the other hand, is something i believe he specifically doesn't want to do.

also, there's the fact that printing is really not the culprit for palladium's slow release schedule. i think once the editing and rewriting and layout got done, it was all of about 2 weeks before PB had the physical books in hand from the printer.

now, much as i'd like to get splicers material earlier rather than later... i cannot help but feel that it would take much, much, much more than two weeks time to persuade kevin that he should try out PDF-only releases. i have a feeling we'll get splicers material sooner if we focus on the "publish splicers" part of the equation.
phoenixget
D-Bee
Comment: GM'ing is for suckers! (Dammit, suckered again!)

Unread post by phoenixget »

Oh.

Well.... bummer...

But thanks for explaining!
The Galactus Kid

phoenixget wrote:So, I have a question (and please note I understand there has been QUITE a bit of back and forth on the basic premise of this):

Why not (instead of printing 1-3 Splicers Source Books) PDF a series of "Rifter: The Splicers Specials" series?

Didn't Rifter #0 do well? And the (I guess) bonus would be that the stuff could be called "Authorized" or "Approved" as opposed to "Official"....

As a writer, I'm not opposed to PDFs. However, I am somewhat opposed to PDF only publications. I want my work to be seen as much as possible, and I feel that PDF only really limits the availability. Anything that I submit for Splicers will be done with the hope that it will be printed. If they decide to put it out as PDF, then AWESOME.

89er
Adventurer

Unread post by 89er »

To reanimate the hype, I present a neat video that came out recently:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e69yaWDkVGs

All of that is possible in Splicers, except for the Chitons, Nano Plague and all.

Plus a comic on the Mantis Shrimp:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/mantis_shrimp
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

89er wrote:
Plus a comic on the Mantis Shrimp:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/mantis_shrimp

I believe Fred Saberhagan introduced the trope of 'Shrimp vs. Mechs' in the Berserker short story 'Smasher'.
GIANT land-dwelling mantis shrimp(or at least similar critters) feature as some of the monsters in the divergent(and lethal) island ecology of the novel Fragment. They contribute to the destruction of a fortified research station.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
darkguyver
Megaversal® Ambassador

just sent this to kevin "Great post! I am the guy on facebook that had a Palladium birthday party. I got a lot new books. I just want to let you know I am a big Splicers and bought a lot Rifters due to the fact that I really like to hear some updates on sourcebooks for splicers, the spice really needs to flow. thanks" here pic of me at party https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater
Image/Image

Megaversal Ambassador®
darkguyver
Megaversal® Ambassador

Well it officially there be no book release this year for Splicers now say it be 2014 oh well I keep use this as my sourcebook
Image/Image

Megaversal Ambassador®
krispy
Hero
Comment: Luck favors the prepared

Unread post by krispy »

darkguyver wrote:Well it officially there be no book release this year for Splicers now say it be 2014 oh well I keep use this as my sourcebook

unfortunately no, but there is a lot of material brewing....and writing takes a long time.

when i wrote Pandorum, it took me roughly 3 months to write the article (about 33 page word document), which after it was formatted for the Rifter (with nothing removed from the article) it was a 25 pg piece.

i have 2 projects on the go for PB and they are taking quite a while to write
connecting the dots
darkguyver
Megaversal® Ambassador

krispy wrote:
darkguyver wrote:Well it officially there be no book release this year for Splicers now say it be 2014 oh well I keep use this as my sourcebook

unfortunately no, but there is a lot of material brewing....and writing takes a long time.

when i wrote Pandorum, it took me roughly 3 months to write the article (about 33 page word document), which after it was formatted for the Rifter (with nothing removed from the article) it was a 25 pg piece.

i have 2 projects on the go for PB and they are taking quite a while to write

Still think doing sourcebook on what been put rifter would at less make some of help and we all source information in one place it thought and since art has been done all need do make content index and you done
Image/Image

Megaversal Ambassador®
Shark_Force
Palladin

i don't think kevin ever just puts in an index/ToC and hands it off to the layout team.* I'm pretty sure kevin always tries to give things a bit of polish, and very frequently he sees something he likes and thinks "i've got an awesome idea that works with this" which then turns into an extra part of the book, with further ideas not quite making the cut and getting released in the rifter in some occasions (for example, the extra vampires material that was pushed off into a rifter due to space limitations a few months ago).

* the layout team is, in fact, a team of one if i'm not mistaken, who also has a bunch of other responsibilities.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

the Layout team is a team of one, and that team's name is Kevin Seimbeida... he does all the layout work, he's final editor, etc.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Shark_Force
Palladin

glitterboy2098 wrote:the Layout team is a team of one, and that team's name is Kevin Seimbeida... he does all the layout work, he's final editor, etc.

eh, no... "Wayne is caught up with editing (for the moment) and will be doing typesetting and more layout on Friday. There are 15 or so pages to re-lay out and then typesetting and laying out the rest of the book. While Wayne is doing that, I will be finishing up the final editing and rewrites of the weapon section." (from the sept 26 weekly update).

the layout team is a team of one afaict, but it's Wayne, not Kevin.
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

Great idea miss ANOTHER year with nothing for splicers. The more this happens the more people turn away from the game. And most turn away from the whole company, they dont go and buy some rifts book instead they just drop it and play WoW or something like that.
I implore you think of the future, KS needs to let someone do full books, then make a final read himself.
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

boxee wrote:Great idea miss ANOTHER year with nothing for splicers. The more this happens the more people turn away from the game. And most turn away from the whole company, they dont go and buy some rifts book instead they just drop it and play WoW or something like that.
I implore you think of the future, KS needs to let someone do full books, then make a final read himself.

I understand that it can get a little frustrating, wanting to see this great game have more material published, and become more recognised

like i have said in another post, i am working on a ton of stuff for Splicers. hopefully i will have my expansion article for my H. Pandorum finished by the end of the year, so i can submit it for the rifter #65

there are other things that i am writing, that, at this moment i cant discuss but i am already up to 70 pages of material. but unfortunately for myself and other writers, writing is a hobby, a side project.
like i have said in previous posts, i am someone who is self-employed working the Health Field, so sometimes i don't get a lot of time to write because of the demands of my job

please be patient, i will do my best to make 2014 the year of the Splicer
connecting the dots
The Galactus Kid

krispy wrote:Please be patient, i will do my best to make 2014 the year of the Splicer

THIS

krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

The Galactus Kid wrote:
krispy wrote:Please be patient, i will do my best to make 2014 the year of the Splicer

THIS

My H. Pandorum 2 article is submitted...now its the waiting game to see whether they select it or not for the Rifter

I have a TON of Splicer projects on the go.... collaborating with some great minds ;) , to create some great material for this AWESOME game

I am doing my best to make the Splice Flow
connecting the dots
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

Perhaps one of these years I'll write-up House Hel'Brek but right now I'm on hardcore Rifts kick with a number of O.C.C.s, Races, R.C.C.s and some unique hardware that is taking up all of my spare time.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."

Return to “Splicers®”