Board index » MDC Worlds » Splicers®

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:15 pm

Champion

Greetings, Splicers fans!

I have just been commissioned to make a map of Area of Influence 24, the region described in the "I Am Legion" book. My goal is to create a map that's a useful gaming resource and an image that's nice to look at, with a thematically-appropriate presentation. Ideally, I'd like this to be something that a GM or player could use in a game as both an in-character and out-of character resource. I'd like this to be something suitable for display as a poster print on a wall or table top or a screen display on a high-def TV or tablet.

I welcome and covet your suggestions, comments, critiques, and criticisms. I am a total newcomer to Splicers, and since I'm starting off completely unfamiliar with the world, I could sure use any help the Splicer fan community can give me as I take this first step in joining your ranks. I'll be posting updates to this map as I go.

If you want to support this project and see some of the other stuff I make, you can check out my Patreon page linked in my signature below.

Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:18 am

Champion

My current concept for this map is to present it as a Technojacker tool, with a frame made to look like a physical object, like a tablet. I've done something analogous before,with a modern iPad or Kindle Fire look. Perhaps this could be hacked N.E.X.U.S. map information; if so, I might try to include some of The Machine's iconography or some suggestion that what the viewer is seeing is stolen/hijacked.

While it would be an interesting challenge to present this as some kind of spliced biotech-based map, I think that would require a radically different approach than the style I generally use.

In terms of display size, Area of Influence 24 is described as being somewhat circular, having a radius of 1,000 miles. This will probably mean having a roughly square-shaped map area. Unusually for Palladium, there is no world or regional source map to work with, so I'll have to work from text descriptions.This is somewhat liberating, but it makes me worry a bit about inconsistencies with the text. I'll need to research the book pretty carefully.

Check out my maps here!

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:41 am

Palladin

if it is going to be an in-universe map, you can justify some uncertainty in the map. the Machine probably doesn't know exactly where all of the resistance and legion facilities are (although it may have at least some idea... provided they haven't been moved). a technojacker won't know where everything is either, so they wouldn't be able to add it all in.

I'm not sure we've seen a lot of what the machine's perspective looks like; I would guess that it depends a lot on which personality is the filter. Hecate may care vaguely about where the resistance is highly active, but she's going to be more focused on production sites and shipping routes and schedules. she probably won't particularly care at all where Ishtar is holding her wargames, except maybe from a perspective of needing to recover the damaged robots, for example.

as an added layer of uncertainty, with Legion and the Machine battling in cyberspace the location of even various facilities may be concealed or inaccurate, and of course the entire thing is presumably being translated from how the machine perceives things in the first place.

all of that together means an individual GM has something to work with where they can insert a location where they need it or even move an official location from where the map says it is.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:38 pm

Champion

Nice, that would both explain any mistakes on my part and give GMs the liberty to keep, toss, or change whatever they like.

Now I just need to sort out the pixel dimensions of the map and the border/frame.

Check out my maps here!

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:14 pm

Champion

Looks like I'll make this to print on 11x17 inch cardstock. Making an image at 300 dots per inch (photo quality) means 3300x5100 pixels, which is big, almost at the limit of what I can do, but since a large chunk of this overall image will consist of the frame, the map portion of the image where I'll be doing most of the work will be about half that area, about 3300 x 2550 pixels. The rest of the area will be a thick borderfor things like buttons, menu headers, that kind of thing, and a side-panel where I could put in a legend or some thematic text.

This way, the mapped area should be manageable and, by configuring it at this size, it will also be printable at 300 dots per inch on standard 8.5x11 cardstock.

Next

Check out my maps here!