Crossing TMNT (& Other Strange) Rules with Palladium Fantasy

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Crossing TMNT (& Other Strange) Rules with Palladium Fantasy

Unread post by SirSpamHammer »

Hello there,

I am about to commence with my campaign, that starts with the well known villain Shredder pretending to be a Pirate captain in Palladium Fantasy. He's wielding a magic Cutlass that continually Glows red when he will it too and it also does blind flash and spits lightning up to 3 times a day.

So, I asked what skill would he need to use it to spit lightning on the general discussion channel where I'm playing this game and was told that W.S. Targeting would be the one to use.

He doesn't exactly have this in in statistics, so what do I do?

We're looking at Shredder on pages 105 and 106 in Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles and Other Strangeness also written and or published by Palladium. (So there should be some compatability there.)

????
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Crossing TMNT (& Other Strange) Rules with Palladium Fan

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

SirSpamHammer wrote:Hello there,

I am about to commence with my campaign, that starts with the well known villain Shredder pretending to be a Pirate captain in Palladium Fantasy. He's wielding a magic Cutlass that continually Glows red when he will it too and it also does blind flash and spits lightning up to 3 times a day.

So, I asked what skill would he need to use it to spit lightning on the general discussion channel where I'm playing this game and was told that W.S. Targeting would be the one to use.

We're looking at Shredder on pages 105 and 106 in Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles and Other Strangeness also written and or published by Palladium. (So there should be some compatability there.)

????

I love it!!

Why the cutlass instead of just his normal shredder claws?
:-D

Spitting lightning from a magic sword is probably one of those things where WP bonus isn't applicable. I could see a GM allowing targeting to work with it, but it wouldn't be necessary, and I don't think Palladium intended Targeting to work with what are basically Energy Blasts.
I'd go with Physical Prowess bonus, but that's about it.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

On the fantasy side of things, I think you use the mechanics of the spell "call lightning", which doesn't require a roll to hit.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Killer Cyborg wrote:

????

I love it!!

Spitting lightning from a magic sword is probably one of those things where WP bonus isn't applicable. I could see a GM allowing targeting to work with it, but it wouldn't be necessary, and I don't think Palladium intended Targeting to work with what are basically Energy Blasts.
I'd go with Physical Prowess bonus, but that's about it.

Because he is pretending to be a Pirate, and he managed to obtain one that spits lightning.

As for the automatic hit from it's lightning bolt, I feel bad for the character he chose to use it on. This turns out to be my character before I took over a Game master. I'm still controlling/playing him. Oh well. You know what they say about lightning. It doesn't strike twice (or three times...) in the same place...
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Kraynic wrote:On the fantasy side of things, I think you use the mechanics of the spell "call lightning", which doesn't require a roll to hit.

I'll have a look at that one thanks...
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I would use the ATB2 rules rather that the TMNT PB rules set....they are more compatible with the current PF RPG rules set.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I would use the ATB2 rules rather that the TMNT PB rules set....they are more compatible with the current PF RPG rules set.

I had a look through the book you pointed out to me, noticing the extra assortment of animals. Is that it, or was there something special about those rules. The reason I went with "TMNT & Other Strangeness" is that they had stats for Shredder, Splinter and the Four Ninja Turtles. I will be using all of those...
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Where can I find the description for "Call-Lightning"? In the index for the spell in the main rule book, it says page 194, but it's not there. Is it in another book?
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

SirSpamHammer wrote:Where can I find the description for "Call-Lightning"? In the index for the spell in the main rule book, it says page 194, but it's not there. Is it in another book?

Call Lightning is on p. 198 in my copy of PFRPG2.

I wouldn't use it, though, because other than the fact that both the spell and the sword involved lightning, there's nothing in common.
The range is different, the damage is different, and Call Lightning calls down lightning from the sky instead of shooting it from a sword.
Call Lighting always hits, unless the target dodges with a Natural 20 or a modified 24+.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Killer Cyborg
Priest

SirSpamHammer wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

????

I love it!!

Because he is pretending to be a Pirate, and he managed to obtain one that spits lightning.

:ok:

As for the automatic hit from it's lightning bolt, I feel bad for the character he chose to use it on. This turns out to be my character before I took over a Game master. I'm still controlling/playing him. Oh well. You know what they say about lightning. It doesn't strike twice (or three times...) in the same place...

Yeah, I wouldn't give the lightning blast an automatic hit.
I'd go with d20+PP bonus as a standard strike roll.

Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

Totally up to you, but I would still use the mechanics of a spell. I guess I don't see the auto hit as too big of a deal, because it doesn't scale. It has a set damage output that is slightly above level 3 of the spell. You could instead use the strike bonus from ball lightning. Totally just me, but I would divorce the strike chances of a spell trigger item from stats and skills of the wielder. I prefer having magic be its own deal. You may prefer differently in your games though.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Killer Cyborg wrote:
SirSpamHammer wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

????

I love it!!

:ok:

Yeah, I wouldn't give the lightning blast an automatic hit.
I'd go with d20+PP bonus as a standard strike roll.

Sounds like a deal to me...
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Kraynic wrote:Totally up to you, but I would still use the mechanics of a spell. I guess I don't see the auto hit as too big of a deal, because it doesn't scale. It has a set damage output that is slightly above level 3 of the spell. You could instead use the strike bonus from ball lightning. Totally just me, but I would divorce the strike chances of a spell trigger item from stats and skills of the wielder. I prefer having magic be its own deal. You may prefer differently in your games though.

I think if that was the case, then my biggest mistake here is that I picked the power in the first place, but it's already out there. I can't take it back now. As Game-Master, I would prefer Killer-Cyborg's way of dealing with it.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

ATB2 and PF2.....their rules sets are more 'modern' than what was presented in the TMNT books. Meaning there are less flaws in the rules sets and easier to merge. Sorry I read something different when reading the OP.

Skill to add to the spit lighting abiliti of the sword.....None per-say....but the WP Modern weapons might fit the bill.

As to magic weapons that spit lighting...look at the immortals power cat in PU2 and the aliens PC in the HU2 core book for example text.. (remember the text was written for the HU game so might not be right for a PF game.)

If you the GM, you fill in the blanks with what you think is right.

trivia
Spoiler:
To make the four TMNTs you'd need to add something like 20 Bio-E points to the build budget.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:ATB2 and PF2.....their rules sets are more 'modern' than what was presented in the TMNT books. Meaning there are less flaws in the rules sets and easier to merge. Sorry I read something different when reading the OP.

Skill to add to the spit lighting abiliti of the sword.....None per-say....but the WP Modern weapons might fit the bill.

As to magic weapons that spit lighting...look at the immortals power cat in PU2 and the aliens PC in the HU2 core book for example text.. (remember the text was written for the HU game so might not be right for a PF game.)

If you the GM, you fill in the blanks with what you think is right.

trivia
Spoiler:
To make the four TMNTs you'd need to add something like 20 Bio-E points to the build budget.

I intend to use the stats given in the "TMNT & OS" book for the Ninja-Turtles, although I would like it more if they, as well as Splinter and Shredder had some a W.P. skill for throwing their melee weapons or maybe only Raphael does that. (Remember the films...All of them!) There is also no system for using team-tactics the way they do in the films, and -I guess- in the cartoons as well. That would be excellent if they had some different moves when they are working as a team. Something like that.

There is also the fact that on paper, Donatello is the tallest Ninja Turtle at 5 feet tall (As well as Splinter whom is the same.) and in the latest film they were all in close vicinity of 6 feet tall. I would actually have Donatello as six feet tall himself with the rest of them being slightly shorter than he is. So, I'm going to give them all extra foot in height. As much as this effects their size level, what ever that may be. It's not actually given in their statistics, but may be worked out from their given height and weight. I just didn't feel like doing the maths to work out their size level.

Yes, I do know that Ninjas are traditionally small, but I also like how the Ninja-Turtles were in those latest films...
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

I don't think I ever evaluated them to see how the turtles lined up, but I know they used the group rules. Due to that, the turtles should have better stats and higher skill levels simply based on being created as a cohesive group.

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”