Is there a Character Generator for HU like for Rifts and PF?

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Gridlost
D-Bee
Comment: Great art! I am a 3D modeler by hobby. plan to use the images as templates for my models. I will post them here.

Is there a Character Generator for HU like for Rifts and PF?

Unread post by Gridlost »

Hello all!

I was wondering if there was a Character Generator for Heroes unlimited and its affiliate books, Like the one created for Rifts and Fantasy? I love the streamlined Character design. When I am running a campaign for Multiple People, the Rifts Generator makes Herding Cats err Players a great deal easier. They don't get lost in books while simply trying to Roll a character. As you all know, often takes hours when you have 4 to 6 players.

If there is not one made, Is there one in development? I would make an attempt, but I no next to nothing about making those kinds of sheets, and have little knowledge of Excel/calc.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Is there a Character Generator for HU like for Rifts and

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Other than the ones right behind everyone's eyes...
...Far as I know there isn't one available, nor is there one side to be in development.

As to the 'Why's"...
Have them make their own chars on their own time. And have them make one or two extra just in case the one they want to play didn't meet the standards for the game you're going to run. They might get the hint not to act like a munchkin while making the chars.

A good char starts with a concept. and then interaction with he GM in filling out that concept. This might take a week or two depending on how much actual thinking goes into the making. And a good part of that thinking is 'setting it aside and and do other stuff while letting your brain take it's time about thinking it through.'
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Gridlost
D-Bee
Comment: Great art! I am a 3D modeler by hobby. plan to use the images as templates for my models. I will post them here.

Unread post by Gridlost »

The issue is, im working with a new group of players. All adults over 40. Finding time is a major struggle. I was hoping to save time with a stream lined process. Will have to use the Rifts sheet i guess. Hand fill in the power and thier bonuses. Im not sure how old you are, but the older your new to gaming group is, the harder it is to gather them together for char generation. Sound like i will not be able to do a group setting without everyone being drunk or stoned before i get to them.
As for them making thier own, im the only one with Books. Would not work. But ty for encouragement. Perhaps the other will want ro buy core book after playing for a bit. Also, you should never ever let brand new players make thier first toon on thier own. Very irresponsible game mastering.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Heroes Unlimited character generation goes quicker if you enforce random rolls whenever they come up.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Glistam wrote:Heroes Unlimited character generation goes quicker if you enforce random rolls whenever they come up.

Yep.

Maybe give them two or three re-rolls to re-roll some of them. So they don't getting feeling like they got all sucky rolls.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

Long time no post Gridlost. Welcome back!

Having only one rulebook for a group of players new to gaming with limited free time is like herding cats through a ring of fire! There isn't any sort of official Heroes Unlimited fillable pdf or excel sheet, I'm sorry to say.

Is it possible you can provide some pre-generated characters for your group? It isn't as if bringing everyone together to slowly go through random tables one person at a time is at all efficient. Perhaps make a list of the basic power categories available in the game you have in mind, and feel people's inclinations out as to character type before messing with any rolls which might otherwise prove unnecessary.

A little thing that I like to do is have each player roll a statline, compile them, and let each player choose one before applying individual bonuses, with repeats being fine. That helps prevent the situation all too common in Palladium games of a character being hamstrung relative to the rest of the party over a single die. This can be done for some of the percentile rolls as well, which can streamline things in a game of all mutants or aliens et al. If these semi-pregens have many of their abilities and combat numbers already figured out, leaving the first group meeting for discussing things such as complementary skill coverage and personality notes can be handled relatively quickly.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Gridlost wrote:I was wondering if there was a Character Generator for Heroes unlimited and its affiliate books, Like the one created for Rifts and Fantasy? I love the streamlined Character design.
[snip]
If there is not one made, Is there one in development? I would make an attempt, but I no next to nothing about making those kinds of sheets, and have little knowledge of Excel/calc.

Greetings and Salutations. I designed the Palladium Fantasy Interactive Character Sheet When I first proposed it, the topic of doing one for the other game lines came up (primarily Rifts, since this was before the current one). My response was that I wasn't opposed, but I made a PF one because I know the system and follow a lot of threads, so I felt I had a decent handle on what I needed to include. With other Palladium settings, I don't play them so I'm not sure of what all I'd need to have in the layout.

So if someone was willing to do the design/layout, I'm still willing to do all the data entry and programming (I own almost every Palladium book, so I have the information available). Basically, if someone can say how they want it to look and any special features they think it may need, I'm willing to do the work. Up to this point, no one has taken me up on that offer. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”