Coping With Blindness

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Coping With Blindness

Unread post by SirSpamHammer »

Wanting to make a Blind Warrior Monk in a Palladium Fantasy game and would like to know if the book mentions anything to do with blindness.

For instance, Blind Fighting Skill?

Would that be in any of the source books or the Rifters.

Otherwise, I going to try convince my Gm into letting my character take the Blind Mystic : Mang-Wu (From pages 72-77 of the Rifts : China Two : Heroes of the Celestial Court.) Chi-Sight, Third-Eye, Sense Chi Movement and Spirit Sight abilities and transfer them to my particular character because they are blind. Of course, I'm not hoping too much. because in this game , we aren't allowed charcters that are too OP.

What might make matter more complicated is that my character is actually a Lizardman taken from the Revised Rfits Conversions Book One. (Pages 160-161)
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Coping With Blindness

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

You might grab a copy of Ninja & Superspies. The martial arts awareness ability could come in very handy!
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

I've not compared them thoroughly, but the Blind Mystic from the Ninjas and Superspies supplement Mystic China might be more suitable, power level wise, for a Palladium Fantasy game than the Rifts Blind Mystic. Check it out if you can and see what you think.

Also, you might want to check out the Lizardman from the Palladium Fantasy sourcebook Monsters & Animals (if you have access to it), rather than use the version that has been converted for Rifts and then try to convert it back to Fantasy. It might be more likely for your GM to agree to your request if you are using a standard PFRPG race rather than importing a race from Rifts, even though it was technically a PFRPG race in the first place! Monsters & Animals lizardmen can choose clergy O.C.C.s, so that would include warrior monk.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Killer Cyborg wrote:You might grab a copy of Ninja & Superspies. The martial arts awareness ability could come in very handy!

I have it and looking for it now.....
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Soldier of Od wrote:I've not compared them thoroughly, but the Blind Mystic from the Ninjas and Superspies supplement Mystic China might be more suitable, power level wise, for a Palladium Fantasy game than the Rifts Blind Mystic. Check it out if you can and see what you think.

Also, you might want to check out the Lizardman from the Palladium Fantasy sourcebook Monsters & Animals (if you have access to it), rather than use the version that has been converted for Rifts and then try to convert it back to Fantasy. It might be more likely for your GM to agree to your request if you are using a standard PFRPG race rather than importing a race from Rifts, even though it was technically a PFRPG race in the first place! Monsters & Animals lizardmen can choose clergy O.C.C.s, so that would include warrior monk.

I might as well ask if I can trade Warrior Monk O.C.C. for the Blind Mystic O.C.C., Still can't see my GM saying yes.

I had a look at and went straight to the Yin-Sloth Jungle book . (Lizardmen R.C.C. are on pages 59-60
) in that book. Of course, the Lizardmen R.C.C. from the Monsters & Animals book does stipulate they can be Clergy. Even so, the other books say they can be any O.C.C.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

SirSpamHammer wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:You might grab a copy of Ninja & Superspies. The martial arts awareness ability could come in very handy!

Could you give me a page number pls?
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. A few things ...

1: To the best of my knowledge, Palladium Fantasy (PF) doesn't have any specific skills to help with being blind.

2: As Soldier of Od stated, Monsters & Animals is probably the best place for Lizard Men stats if playing in PF2. Yin-Sloth Jungles is a 1st Edition book, and Rifts books are often more powerful than PF books, including minor things in the Conversion Book.

3: People have already mentioned the Mystic China option. With that said, if your G.M. is willing to accept homebrew classes, then I'll reference the Blind Warrior O.C.C. I made up a while back. I don't believe it's overpowered, and it's based on the Warrior Monk meets the Blind Mystic.

http://www.prysus.com/blind_warrior.htm

SirSpamHammer wrote:
SirSpamHammer wrote:

4: I'm at work, so I don't have my books with me, but I believe he's referring to the ability Zanshin. That should be found in the Martial Arts Abilities (a Martial Art Technique, I think, but not positive). That should help you find it.

5: If none of that works, see if the G.M. will allow a Warrior Monk with minor Sensitive psionics. If so, s/he may allow See Aura to work. That will require I.S.P. to activate, but the G.M. may allow it mystical sight for the duration. This is something that potentially will work and already exists within the main book.

Hope some of that helps. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Prysus wrote:
Greetings and Salutations. A few things ...

1: To the best of my knowledge, Palladium Fantasy (PF) doesn't have any specific skills to help with being blind.

2: As Soldier of Od stated, Monsters & Animals is probably the best place for Lizard Men stats if playing in PF2. Yin-Sloth Jungles is a 1st Edition book, and Rifts books are often more powerful than PF books, including minor things in the Conversion Book.

3: People have already mentioned the Mystic China option. With that said, if your G.M. is willing to accept homebrew classes, then I'll reference the Blind Warrior O.C.C. I made up a while back. I don't believe it's overpowered, and it's based on the Warrior Monk meets the Blind Mystic.

http://www.prysus.com/blind_warrior.htm

SirSpamHammer wrote:
SirSpamHammer wrote:

4: I'm at work, so I don't have my books with me, but I believe he's referring to the ability Zanshin. That should be found in the Martial Arts Abilities (a Martial Art Technique, I think, but not positive). That should help you find it.

5: If none of that works, see if the G.M. will allow a Warrior Monk with minor Sensitive psionics. If so, s/he may allow See Aura to work. That will require I.S.P. to activate, but the G.M. may allow it mystical sight for the duration. This is something that potentially will work and already exists within the main book.

Hope some of that helps. Farewell and safe journeys.

That homebrewed Blind-Warrior is exactly what I needed (By the looks.....I'm yet to read it properly), Thanks again.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Using the latest interactive character sheet for Palladium Fantasy, it's such shame that your Blind Warrior most probably won't be found on it's drop down menu's.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

SirSpamHammer wrote:Using the latest interactive character sheet for Palladium Fantasy, it's such shame that your Blind Warrior most probably won't be found on it's drop down menu's.

Greetings and Salutations. While I'm responsible for creating both, the Interactive Character Sheet only has official material. I did not create it with any bias (even to myself). The Blind Warrior is unofficial, therefore not included.

On the plus side, the Custom tab should allow it to be easily added. Farewell and safe journeys.

Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Great work, but Hand To Hand : Blind Stick Fighting and Hand to Hand : Blind Fighting needs further explanation. How many attacks/actions per round, what are the initiative, strike, parry, dodge, disarm, and roll with impact modifiers, & etc?
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

SirSpamHammer wrote:Great work, but Hand To Hand : Blind Stick Fighting and Hand to Hand : Blind Fighting needs further explanation. How many attacks/actions per round, what are the initiative, strike, parry, dodge, disarm, and roll with impact modifiers, & etc?

Greetings and Salutations. Are those not included with the O.C.C.? Sorry, then see my page regarding new Hand to Hand.

http://www.prysus.com/training_grounds.htm

You can find the details there. Apologies for not making it easier to link the two together. Farewell and safe journeys.

SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Thanks....
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

rifter 27, pages 39-57

This article talks about using the RJapan and MChina classes in the PF game. The MC Blind mystic is talked about on page 51.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Good to know, I'll have to find that Rifter and read up on them.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Prysus wrote:
SirSpamHammer wrote:Great work, but Hand To Hand : Blind Stick Fighting and Hand to Hand : Blind Fighting needs further explanation. How many attacks/actions per round, what are the initiative, strike, parry, dodge, disarm, and roll with impact modifiers, & etc?

Greetings and Salutations. Are those not included with the O.C.C.? Sorry, then see my page regarding new Hand to Hand.

You can find the details there. Apologies for not making it easier to link the two together. Farewell and safe journeys.

Am I right in understanding that both Blind Stick Fighting and Blind Fighting Freestyles can't be taken together?
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

SirSpamHammer wrote:
Prysus wrote:Greetings and Salutations. Are those not included with the O.C.C.? Sorry, then see my page regarding new Hand to Hand.

Am I right in understanding that both Blind Stick Fighting and Blind Fighting Freestyles can't be taken together?

Greetings and Salutations. Correct. With rare exception, characters may only have one hand to hand. Farewell and safe journeys.

SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Hey Prysus, did you really intend for the Blind Warrior to have no extra P.P.E. per level level. Since they use P.P.E. to invoke the power of Combat Circle. I know my character has enough P.P.E. (32 P.P.E.) to spend on the ten points per melee being needed, but still. My Lizardman only got 2d6 P.P.E to start with. Anyway, my GM is going to let me roll 1d6 for extra P.P.E. per level. You think that's okay?
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

SirSpamHammer wrote:Hey Prysus, did you really intend for the Blind Warrior to have no extra P.P.E. per level level. Since they use to invoke the power of Combat Circle. I know my character has enough P.P.E. (32 P.P.E.) to spend on the ten points per melee being needed, but still. My Lizardman only got 2d6 P.P.E to start with. Anyway, my GM is going to let me roll 1d6 for extra P.P.E. per level. You think that's okay?

Greetings and Salutations. I believe I based their P.P.E. off of the Palladin and Blind Mystic (from Mystic China) instead of Warrior Monk. Though that was a long time ago and I don't think I factored in the different ability cost between Blind Warrior (mine) and Blind Mystic. If I were to make the class today, I'd probably revise the P.P.E. in some form (either the ability cost or the base plus level).

I'm fine with the 1D6 per level, especially sonce that is what your G.M. allowed (and I wouldn't argue with him or her). I don't really have a better solution at this moment anyway. Hope you enjoy. Farewell and safe journeys.

Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

There is a Blind Fighting skill in Splicers (It is a Military skill). What is interesting about it is it actually gives a bonus to Body Flip/Throw and some other grapple-related maneuvers, so if you had a H2H skill that was grappling focused (like Aikido), your character won't be nearly as useless as he might seem.

China 2 also has a Blind Mystic class. I don't know how it compares to the Ninjas and Superspies version (it could be a straight reprint for all I know), but it might be worth looking at as conversions between Rifts and PF are a lot simpler than conversions between N&SS and PF.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Another question for Prysus.....

I was wondering if you allow Blind Warriors to Dual class (As per usual on page 10 of Adventures on the High Seas for Palladium Fantasy) as the same O.C.C. but with the alternative fighting style they didn't choose for their first O.C.C. . That is if I picked Blind Stick Fighting for him in the beginning, and then I pick Blind Fighting Freestyle for his second O.C.C. If you get my drift?
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

SirSpamHammer wrote:Another question for Prysus.....

I was wondering if you allow Blind Warriors to Dual class (As per usual on page 10 of Adventures on the High Seas for Palladium Fantasy) as the same O.C.C. but with the alternative fighting style they didn't choose for their first O.C.C. . That is if I picked Blind Stick Fighting for him in the beginning, and then I pick Blind Fighting Freestyle for his second O.C.C. If you get my drift?

Greetings and Salutations. Sorry for the slow response, but I've been taking some time away from posting. Anyways, to answer your question ...

I would strongly discourage Dual Class regardless. I don't much care for those rules as I feel they're clunky and more of a headache than they're worth. While I feel this is against the spirit of the Dual Class rules, I don't have a major issue with that aspect. However, I also don't think this would be a very good use of it. You wouldn't have both classes and advance in both. The old one freezes, meaning advancement in all your skills (hand to hand included) stop. After some time learning the new class (in this case, apparently relearning what you already know) you start advancing in the new class with the new skills. That means you've basically halted your ability to advance so you can learn one new skill. That feels like a waste to me.

Also, in general, Palladium doesn't allow you to have more than one Hand to Hand. In cases when this does occur within the rules (mostly in Ninjas & Superspies), you must choose which Hand to Hand you're using at the start of the melee round. So, in this case, you'd have to pick Blind Stick Fighting OR Blind Fighting Freestyle. You can't use them both together.

As an example: Blind Warrior with Blind Stick Fighting at level 4 decides to Dual Class as a Blind Warrior (again!) to learn Blind Fighting Freestyle. All the Blind Warrior's skills and abilities stop at level 4. The character goes through the training period (necessary experience points required), and then learns the one new skill. The Blind Warrior advances to Level 6 in the new (same) class. All skills known from the first version remain frozen at level 4 (including Blind Stick Fighting), unless the character re-selected them with the new (same) class, in which case they'd start advancing basically once the character reaches level 5 in the new (same) class. If the character is going to get into a fight, the player must select if they're going to use Blind Stick Fighting (at level 4) or Blind Fighting Freestyle (at level 6), but cannot use abilities or bonuses from both.

Honestly, this feels overly complicated with little to no benefit, because while the character gets a second hand to hand option the character also limited their advancement and, in general level, are now behind the curve. Those are my thoughts on the matter. So I wouldn't say no ... but I would discourage the idea. Hope that helps. Farewell and safe journeys.

SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Prysus wrote:
SirSpamHammer wrote:Another question for Prysus.....

Greetings and Salutations. Sorry for the slow response, but I've been taking some time away from posting. Anyways, to answer your question ...

I would strongly discourage Dual Class regardless. I don't much care for those rules as I feel they're clunky and more of a headache than they're worth. While I feel this is against the spirit of the Dual Class rules, I don't have a major issue with that aspect. However, I also don't think this would be a very good use of it. You wouldn't have both classes and advance in both. The old one freezes, meaning advancement in all your skills (hand to hand included) stop. After some time learning the new class (in this case, apparently relearning what you already know) you start advancing in the new class with the new skills. That means you've basically halted your ability to advance so you can learn one new skill. That feels like a waste to me.

Also, in general, Palladium doesn't allow you to have more than one Hand to Hand. In cases when this does occur within the rules (mostly in Ninjas & Superspies), you must choose which Hand to Hand you're using at the start of the melee round. So, in this case, you'd have to pick Blind Stick Fighting OR Blind Fighting Freestyle. You can't use them both together.

As an example: Blind Warrior with Blind Stick Fighting at level 4 decides to Dual Class as a Blind Warrior (again!) to learn Blind Fighting Freestyle. All the Blind Warrior's skills and abilities stop at level 4. The character goes through the training period (necessary experience points required), and then learns the one new skill. The Blind Warrior advances to Level 6 in the new (same) class. All skills known from the first version remain frozen at level 4 (including Blind Stick Fighting), unless the character re-selected them with the new (same) class, in which case they'd start advancing basically once the character reaches level 5 in the new (same) class. If the character is going to get into a fight, the player must select if they're going to use Blind Stick Fighting (at level 4) or Blind Fighting Freestyle (at level 6), but cannot use abilities or bonuses from both.

Honestly, this feels overly complicated with little to no benefit, because while the character gets a second hand to hand option the character also limited their advancement and, in general level, are now behind the curve. Those are my thoughts on the matter. So I wouldn't say no ... but I would discourage the idea. Hope that helps. Farewell and safe journeys.

Thanks again.

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”