(Rifts) Cyber-Knight Zen Combat Initiative Bonus

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

HWalsh
Hero

(Rifts) Cyber-Knight Zen Combat Initiative Bonus

Unread post by HWalsh »

Currently the Cyber-Knight Zen Combat Initiative Bonus gives the Cyber-Knight a bonus to initiative vs. their target (or all tech using enemies at higher levels). My question is simply, "How does this work when facing more than one opponent?"

So, for example:
The PCs: John (Cyber-Knight), Megan (Ley Line Walker), and George (Juicer)
The Enemies: Evil Headhunter, Robot Wolf, Ley Line Walker

So, the CK is targeting the Robot Wolf and is supposed to gain a +6 initiative vs the Robot Wolf. How do you give him a +6 to initiative vs the Wolf without also giving him a +6 initiative against everyone else?

I know how I house rule it, but I am curious as to what the official instructions on this are.
Father Goose
Adventurer
Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"

Re: (Rifts) Cyber-Knight Zen Combat Initiative Bonus

Unread post by Father Goose »

HWalsh wrote:Currently the Cyber-Knight Zen Combat Initiative Bonus gives the Cyber-Knight a bonus to initiative vs. their target (or all tech using enemies at higher levels). My question is simply, "How does this work when facing more than one opponent?"

So, for example:

So, the CK is targeting the Robot Wolf and is supposed to gain a +6 initiative vs the Robot Wolf. How do you give him a +6 to initiative vs the Wolf without also giving him a +6 initiative against everyone else?

I know how I house rule it, but I am curious as to what the official instructions on this are.

The reason Zen Combat has been debated, hated, argued, house ruled, etc on this forum as many times as it has is because there is no official instruction! If you search "zen combat" or "cyber knight" on the forums you should find multiple threads discussing various aspects of the problem with the mechanics of the ability.
taalismn wrote:Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?
HWalsh
Hero

Unread post by HWalsh »

Father Goose wrote:
HWalsh wrote:Currently the Cyber-Knight Zen Combat Initiative Bonus gives the Cyber-Knight a bonus to initiative vs. their target (or all tech using enemies at higher levels). My question is simply, "How does this work when facing more than one opponent?"

So, for example:

The reason Zen Combat has been debated, hated, argued, house ruled, etc on this forum as many times as it has is because there is no official instruction! If you search "zen combat" or "cyber knight" on the forums you should find multiple threads discussing various aspects of the problem with the mechanics of the ability.

I know. That is why I asked here. Maybe someone from Palladium can chime in.
Father Goose
Adventurer
Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"

Unread post by Father Goose »

HWalsh wrote:I know. That is why I asked here. Maybe someone from Palladium can chime in.

It would be wonderful if KS or other senior staff members would give official answers to our questions, but that doesn't happen. Ever.
taalismn wrote:Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

The +6 only applies against the robot and the headhunter, tech using enemies. So the bonus may give him initiative over those two opponents but not over the LLW.

It is not that hard to understand.

CK rolls a 12
Hunter rolls a 14
Bot rolls a 15
LLW Rolls a 14

If he chooses to engage the tech opponents first then he acts ahead of them.
If he chooses to engage the LLW he does not get to act first.

The corrected way to do it would be to roll regular initiative and note the +6 as separate initiative for if/when the CK is interacting directly with tech opponents. Otherwise it's irrelevant.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

jaymz wrote:The +6 only applies against the robot and the headhunter, tech using enemies. So the bonus may give him initiative over those two opponents but not over the LLW.

It is not that hard to understand.

CK rolls a 12
Hunter rolls a 14
Bot rolls a 15
LLW Rolls a 14

If he chooses to engage the tech opponents first then he acts ahead of them.
If he chooses to engage the LLW he does not get to act first.

When does he make this choice?

The corrected way to do it would be to roll regular initiative and note the +6 as separate initiative for if/when the CK is interacting directly with tech opponents. Otherwise it's irrelevant.

And what happens if the CK chooses to attack the LLW, but the Bot chooses to attack the CK?
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

then LLW can go before CK, like and interrupt, then the CK can react accordingly before the bot goes with dodges autododges etc. I-O-W the system is screwed as you and I well know. I never said it made sense :P
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Would this possible go easier if we just gave a -6 to initiative to tech opponents instead, applied only to their position in the order if they choose to attack the knight?

The +6 doesn't seem like it should allow the knight to attack the borg faster than the LLW can fireball him first since he shouldn't act faster relative to the LLW who might want to kill the knight before he can stab the borg.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Axelmania wrote:Would this possible go easier if we just gave a -6 to initiative to tech opponents instead, applied only to their position in the order if they choose to attack the knight?

The +6 doesn't seem like it should allow the knight to attack the borg faster than the LLW can fireball him first since he shouldn't act faster relative to the LLW who might want to kill the knight before he can stab the borg.

Attacks happen after initiative rolls, so that would not work in practice.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Here's another fun question guys...

I can't remember where to find the "jump in front of a fireball meant for orphan Timmy" sacrificial dodge rules...

But with CKs getting bonuses to dodge tech...

Is that only tech aimed AT them, or woudl they also get bonus to sacrificial dodge in front of Timmy if he's shot at w/ a laser?
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Axelmania wrote:Here's another fun question guys...

I can't remember where to find the "jump in front of a fireball meant for orphan Timmy" sacrificial dodge rules...

But with CKs getting bonuses to dodge tech...

Is that only tech aimed AT them, or woudl they also get bonus to sacrificial dodge in front of Timmy if he's shot at w/ a laser?

That sounds so cinematic and cool that I'd probably allow it. Dammit, Timmy, learn to duck!
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Axelmania wrote:I can't remember where to find the "jump in front of a fireball meant for orphan Timmy" sacrificial dodge rules...

Greetings and Salutations. I should be sleeping right now, but since I'm not ... that rule/example can be found in RGMG, page 33. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”