Paging Prysus...

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Paging Prysus...

Unread post by SirSpamHammer »

Helo, if you respond to this, I just want to know if you have any Homebrew rules for having/creating Sentient-Ghosts &/or Sentient-Skeletons in Palladium-Fantasy That is Afterlife-Entities that are intelligent Ghosts of real folk. They seems to have rules for spooks, & Poltergeists, but these are clearly unthinking entities and may almost know where to go from here, myself, but thought to ask you first?

Anybody could answer this if they have the right homebrew, but I was paging Prysus in particular....

By the way, I have checked out all the Rifters, and they don't have anything on this subject either by the looks.
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Paging Prysus...

Unread post by Kraynic »

As far as skeletons go, I haven't messed with sentient ones in my games, but I don't see why you couldn't adapt the process/mechanics of becoming a mummy with becoming a skeleton.

The original fantasy game had an ability called Death Trap as the "capstone" ability for a Mind Mage. You likely had to be level 15 or higher to have the 180 ISP it required to use it, but it consumed the body and you became a disembodied spirit. You retained all your mental abilities, and could sort of be thought of as a "mortal" version of Kalba from the pantheon of Rurga. So, that is one sort of spirit/ghost that is right from the books, though the older edition. Depending on how sentient you want the spirits to be, you could look up Haunts from Pathfinder 1E. They are almost like a minor curse on an area, and you need to set right whatever is bothering the spirit about their death to satisfy and dispel the haunt. They can manifest themselves, attempt possession, etc.

There are also spirits/ghosts in various adventures that you might take for inspiration. One example that comes to mind is the spirit of the titan in the adventure that contained the Headdress of the Gods on a small island near the Island of the Cyclops. I don't have time at the moment to track it down in the 2E version of the book, but I know it is somewhere around page 140 (ish) in the 1E version.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Unread post by SirSpamHammer »

Kraynic wrote:As far as skeletons go, I haven't messed with sentient ones in my games, but I don't see why you couldn't adapt the process/mechanics of becoming a mummy with becoming a skeleton.

The original fantasy game had an ability called Death Trap as the "capstone" ability for a Mind Mage. You likely had to be level 15 or higher to have the 180 ISP it required to use it, but it consumed the body and you became a disembodied spirit. You retained all your mental abilities, and could sort of be thought of as a "mortal" version of Kalba from the pantheon of Rurga. So, that is one sort of spirit/ghost that is right from the books, though the older edition. Depending on how sentient you want the spirits to be, you could look up Haunts from Pathfinder 1E. They are almost like a minor curse on an area, and you need to set right whatever is bothering the spirit about their death to satisfy and dispel the haunt. They can manifest themselves, attempt possession, etc.

There are also spirits/ghosts in various adventures that you might take for inspiration. One example that comes to mind is the spirit of the titan in the adventure that contained the Headdress of the Gods on a small island near the Island of the Cyclops. I don't have time at the moment to track it down in the 2E version of the book, but I know it is somewhere around page 140 (ish) in the 1E version.

Thanks for replying, I will take this all into consideration. As you should know, my ghost is a old sea Captain that was simply murdered by the guy (Saki-Oruku A.K.A. the Shredder of the Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtle's fame. I think I mentioned using him in my game somewhere around here before.) who took his place. He now haunts the ship used by the other captain.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

SirSpamHammer wrote:Helo, if you respond to this, I just want to know if you have any Homebrew rules for having/creating Sentient-Ghosts &/or Sentient-Skeletons in Palladium-Fantasy That is Afterlife-Entities that are intelligent Ghosts of real folk. They seems to have rules for spooks, & Poltergeists, but these are clearly unthinking entities and may almost know where to go from here, myself, but thought to ask you first?

Anybody could answer this if they have the right homebrew, but I was paging Prysus in particular....

By the way, I have checked out all the Rifters, and they don't have anything on this subject either by the looks.

Greetings and Salutations. Sorry for the slow response, I just don't come on my computer as often as I once did. Anyways, I don't have any homebrew for this, at least not in stats. I have used both concepts in my game though.

1: Sentient Ghosts. In most cases, I can just role-play a ghost without needing stats. If the rare case arose that I did need stats, I'd have just used the stats for the Haunting Entity (can be found alphabetically under "Entity"). They can be found in Monsters & Animals as well as Rifts Dark Conversion (or Rifts Conversion Book one, original; but NOT Revised). This is the concept of ghosts, but other world beings who just think they're the ghost. The difference in minor to me, and I just ran whichever concept worked best for the game I was running (and/or never specified which it was).

2: Sentient Skeletons. The easiest solution here is to look at the Bone Fiend. Again, they can be found in Land of the Damned Two: Eternal Torment (for PF) and (again) Rifts Dark Conversion. Now, these are not After-life skeletons, but a race onto itself. But they're an intelligent walking set of bones so ... you know, always fit my needs.

If there are existing monsters and all I have to do is change the flavor text, then I generally won't create a homebrew. That's just my take on the matter. Farewell and safe journeys to all.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”