Board index » Across the Megaverse® » Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.

 


Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:36 pm
  

User avatar
D-Bee

Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:20 pm
Posts: 12
So the Official rifts Excel Character sheet that I purchased from the Palladium website lists a Bonus to Horror Factor from ME.
Where is this rule printed?


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:14 pm
  

User avatar
Monk

Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2000 1:01 am
Posts: 17578
Location: Eastvale, calif
This is something I would like to know also.
Where is the text saying what attribute gives a bonus to the HF save?

Because until now, based off another poster's research into the subject of saving throws, I've always thought it was the PE score bonus that gave the HF bonus.
So a definite game/book/page reference citation would be good.

_________________
Answering the OP's question with the canon answer should be done First.
After that you can post your house rules....as your house rules.

May you be blessed with understanding,
and the ability to change course when you are off the mark.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:56 pm
  

User avatar
Dungeon Crawler

Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:49 pm
Posts: 305
I didn't think there was an attribute bonus to HF.

Where was this published?

_________________
Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.

Games F.A.Q. Archive


Some of you may die, but that's the sacrifice they're willing to make.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:56 pm
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:09 pm
Posts: 3683
Location: Connecticut
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.
Page 283 of Rifts: Ultimate Edition lists the negative bonuses to save vs H.F. that a low M.E. provides.

_________________
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Image

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:49 pm
  

User avatar
D-Bee

Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:20 pm
Posts: 12
This is the Quote from the slot on the Character sheet that says + HF next to ME:

"Greg Diaczyk
11:53 PM Dec 26
Save vs. Horror Factor
There are many scary things on Rifts Earth. Seeing something horrific or being scared by something loud can cause a Character to freeze up. Roll a D20 and add this bonus, The Character is fine if the number meets or exceeds the Horror Factor. Fail and the Character loses Initiative, one attack/action and cannot Parry or Dodge the creature's first attack! After that the Character can join combat normally that Melee Round."

I am looking for the printed source of this ME BONUS to HF.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:39 am
  

User avatar
Adventurer

Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:58 am
Posts: 466
Location: It's all about the gestalt.
I wonder if they are considering Horror Factor like an Insanity for which M.E. does give a bonus for.

_________________
Image


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:46 am
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:09 pm
Posts: 3683
Location: Connecticut
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.
Lordonyx wrote:
This is the Quote from the slot on the Character sheet that says + HF next to ME:

"Greg Diaczyk
11:53 PM Dec 26
Save vs. Horror Factor
There are many scary things on Rifts Earth. Seeing something horrific or being scared by something loud can cause a Character to freeze up. Roll a D20 and add this bonus, The Character is fine if the number meets or exceeds the Horror Factor. Fail and the Character loses Initiative, one attack/action and cannot Parry or Dodge the creature's first attack! After that the Character can join combat normally that Melee Round."

I am looking for the printed source of this ME BONUS to HF.

Most Rifts O.C.C.'s offer a bonus to Horror Factor. Is that bonus being applied there, perhaps? Does it change if you change the O.C.C. to one with a different bonus?

_________________
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Image

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:26 pm
  

User avatar
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2000 1:01 am
Posts: 369
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Comment: The Official "Wayne Smith Clone"
Quote:
So the Official rifts Excel Character sheet that I purchased from the Palladium website lists a Bonus to Horror Factor from ME.
Where is this rule printed?


When I was designing the interface for the Main Page I wanted quick and easy access for various bonuses and since most of the stuff was attribute based I added the final bonuses on top of the bonuses from straight up attributes in this section. For Horror Factor there is no actual bonus, but as Glistam pointed out if you have a less than 8 in M.E. you receive a penalty so I figured it was somehow linked to M.E. and put it in the M.E. section for easy finding.

Hope that solves the mystery.

_________________
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"
Palladium Freelance Writer and Editor

Image


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:44 pm
  

User avatar
Monk

Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2000 1:01 am
Posts: 17578
Location: Eastvale, calif
Glistam wrote:
Page 283 of Rifts: Ultimate Edition lists the negative bonuses to save vs H.F. that a low M.E. provides.

So there is only a attribute penalty. *nods*

Glistam wrote:
Most Rifts O.C.C.'s offer a bonus to Horror Factor. Is that bonus being applied there, perhaps? Does it change if you change the O.C.C. to one with a different bonus?


Yes, there are class based bonuses given to chars in RUE.

I would rule that if a char changed their class they would only have their org. class's frozen bonus vs HF.

_________________
Answering the OP's question with the canon answer should be done First.
After that you can post your house rules....as your house rules.

May you be blessed with understanding,
and the ability to change course when you are off the mark.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:11 pm
  

Hero

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:08 am
Posts: 1512
Comment: They/Them
Thanks for clarifying this stance, Mr. Diaczyk!

_________________
Je n'ai fait celle-ci plus longue que parce que je n'ai pas eu le loisir de la faire plus courte.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:22 pm
  

User avatar
Monk

Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:59 pm
Posts: 13748
Location: Snoqualmie, WA
Makes sense to me. Horror affects the mind so a stat that determines how much you can stand mentally should alter the effect. The effect may affect the physical body but it is mental in nature. It doesn't matter how long you can run, how long you can hold your breath, how long you can carry things.

_________________
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper

BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid

Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech

Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus

The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:17 pm
  

User avatar
Monk

Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2000 1:01 am
Posts: 17578
Location: Eastvale, calif
Actually there has been a low key debate ever since the HF save was introduced which attribute is associated with that type of saving throw.
One of the old posters has put together a comprehensive list (for his N&S page) of saving throws and what attributes gave them a bonus. He listed the PE attribute as giving the attribute bonus to the HF save. *shrugs* Both sides had their arguments for ME providing it, and for PE providing it.

_________________
Answering the OP's question with the canon answer should be done First.
After that you can post your house rules....as your house rules.

May you be blessed with understanding,
and the ability to change course when you are off the mark.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:27 pm
  

User avatar
D-Bee

Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:20 pm
Posts: 12
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Actually there has been a low key debate ever since the HF save was introduced which attribute is associated with that type of saving throw.
One of the old posters has put together a comprehensive list (for his N&S page) of saving throws and what attributes gave them a bonus. He listed the PE attribute as giving the attribute bonus to the HF save. *shrugs* Both sides had their arguments for ME providing it, and for PE providing it.



I get the physiological response debate, except we seem to forget the mind controls those functions.. you don't have to have physical fortitude to resist fight or flight responses... the only thing a High PE seems to me would help is with recovering from the mind throwing the body into panic mode. But since apparently no one every wrote/printed anything about HF bonuses from stats.. only penalties.. it's all up to the GM anyway.. just like most of these debates..because,this system has been "perfect" since the 80s..lol


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:39 pm
  

User avatar
Monk

Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:59 pm
Posts: 13748
Location: Snoqualmie, WA
Lordonyx wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Actually there has been a low key debate ever since the HF save was introduced which attribute is associated with that type of saving throw.
One of the old posters has put together a comprehensive list (for his N&S page) of saving throws and what attributes gave them a bonus. He listed the PE attribute as giving the attribute bonus to the HF save. *shrugs* Both sides had their arguments for ME providing it, and for PE providing it.



I get the physiological response debate, except we seem to forget the mind controls those functions.. you don't have to have physical fortitude to resist fight or flight responses... the only thing a High PE seems to me would help is with recovering from the mind throwing the body into panic mode. But since apparently no one every wrote/printed anything about HF bonuses from stats.. only penalties.. it's all up to the GM anyway.. just like most of these debates..because,this system has been "perfect" since the 80s..lol


Even then the body can't recover if the mind can't. The mind puts one into the panic mode, the mind takes one out of the panic mode and it is the mind controlling the body that allows the body to start recovery.

They've changed rules since the 80s.
    --MDC changed from RT to Rifts when automatic SDC weapon fire could damage it 180 degrees from the RT blurb about how a fully automatic weapon will never do more than scratch the paint on a tank.
    --Burst and automatic fire changed from Everything into Rifts RUE where burst damage is listed per weapon instead of a multiplier on damage and expenditure of ammunition/power.
    --Magic changed (had to) with Rifts. A world with 100 x magic and somehow that only effects the damage portion of the spells. It doesn't make them 100x more in duration or 100x range or 100x more potent in strength (save vs. magic). That is Rifts only though, the other two have permeated into everything else including all the way back around into Shadow Chronicles.
    --It used to be that RT had structurally weaker equipment but did more damage and carried more missiles of larger sizes with Veritechs being able to carry 6 long range missiles while Rifts had large platforms that could only carry a single long range missile because apparently Rifts long range missiles are the size of ICBMs while a Rifts mini-missile was the size of an RT Short Range Missile and RT mini-missiles were the size of pop-cans... now with RT Shadow Chronicles Apparently (even though the missile "system" was made because and for RT1E) forgot their tech and have acquired the CS's old (lower payload) missiles... don't worry though because their MDC has gone up slightly... and they're still more agile... :nh:
    --And come one the GI Joe rule... okay I never said the changes were good.

But yes for the majority it has stayed the same.

_________________
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper

BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid

Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech

Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus

The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)


          Top  
 
 
Post new topic Reply to topic



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group