Official Excel Character sheet HF bonus

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Lordonyx
D-Bee

Official Excel Character sheet HF bonus

Unread post by Lordonyx »

So the Official rifts Excel Character sheet that I purchased from the Palladium website lists a Bonus to Horror Factor from ME.
Where is this rule printed?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Official Excel Character sheet HF bonus

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

This is something I would like to know also.
Where is the text saying what attribute gives a bonus to the HF save?

Because until now, based off another poster's research into the subject of saving throws, I've always thought it was the PE score bonus that gave the HF bonus.
So a definite game/book/page reference citation would be good.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ITWastrel »

I didn't think there was an attribute bonus to HF.

Where was this published?
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Page 283 of Rifts: Ultimate Edition lists the negative bonuses to save vs H.F. that a low M.E. provides.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Lordonyx
D-Bee

This is the Quote from the slot on the Character sheet that says + HF next to ME:

"Greg Diaczyk
11:53 PM Dec 26
Save vs. Horror Factor
There are many scary things on Rifts Earth. Seeing something horrific or being scared by something loud can cause a Character to freeze up. Roll a D20 and add this bonus, The Character is fine if the number meets or exceeds the Horror Factor. Fail and the Character loses Initiative, one attack/action and cannot Parry or Dodge the creature's first attack! After that the Character can join combat normally that Melee Round."

I am looking for the printed source of this ME BONUS to HF.
tobefrnk
Adventurer

Unread post by tobefrnk »

I wonder if they are considering Horror Factor like an Insanity for which M.E. does give a bonus for.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Lordonyx wrote:This is the Quote from the slot on the Character sheet that says + HF next to ME:

"Greg Diaczyk
11:53 PM Dec 26
Save vs. Horror Factor
There are many scary things on Rifts Earth. Seeing something horrific or being scared by something loud can cause a Character to freeze up. Roll a D20 and add this bonus, The Character is fine if the number meets or exceeds the Horror Factor. Fail and the Character loses Initiative, one attack/action and cannot Parry or Dodge the creature's first attack! After that the Character can join combat normally that Melee Round."

I am looking for the printed source of this ME BONUS to HF.

Most Rifts O.C.C.'s offer a bonus to Horror Factor. Is that bonus being applied there, perhaps? Does it change if you change the O.C.C. to one with a different bonus?
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Greg Diaczyk
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Official "Wayne Smith Clone"

Unread post by Greg Diaczyk »

So the Official rifts Excel Character sheet that I purchased from the Palladium website lists a Bonus to Horror Factor from ME.
Where is this rule printed?

When I was designing the interface for the Main Page I wanted quick and easy access for various bonuses and since most of the stuff was attribute based I added the final bonuses on top of the bonuses from straight up attributes in this section. For Horror Factor there is no actual bonus, but as Glistam pointed out if you have a less than 8 in M.E. you receive a penalty so I figured it was somehow linked to M.E. and put it in the M.E. section for easy finding.

Hope that solves the mystery.
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"
Palladium Freelance Writer and Editor

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Glistam wrote:Page 283 of Rifts: Ultimate Edition lists the negative bonuses to save vs H.F. that a low M.E. provides.

So there is only a attribute penalty. *nods*

Glistam wrote:Most Rifts O.C.C.'s offer a bonus to Horror Factor. Is that bonus being applied there, perhaps? Does it change if you change the O.C.C. to one with a different bonus?

Yes, there are class based bonuses given to chars in RUE.

I would rule that if a char changed their class they would only have their org. class's frozen bonus vs HF.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

Thanks for clarifying this stance, Mr. Diaczyk!
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Makes sense to me. Horror affects the mind so a stat that determines how much you can stand mentally should alter the effect. The effect may affect the physical body but it is mental in nature. It doesn't matter how long you can run, how long you can hold your breath, how long you can carry things.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Actually there has been a low key debate ever since the HF save was introduced which attribute is associated with that type of saving throw.
One of the old posters has put together a comprehensive list (for his N&S page) of saving throws and what attributes gave them a bonus. He listed the PE attribute as giving the attribute bonus to the HF save. *shrugs* Both sides had their arguments for ME providing it, and for PE providing it.
Lordonyx
D-Bee

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Actually there has been a low key debate ever since the HF save was introduced which attribute is associated with that type of saving throw.
One of the old posters has put together a comprehensive list (for his N&S page) of saving throws and what attributes gave them a bonus. He listed the PE attribute as giving the attribute bonus to the HF save. *shrugs* Both sides had their arguments for ME providing it, and for PE providing it.

I get the physiological response debate, except we seem to forget the mind controls those functions.. you don't have to have physical fortitude to resist fight or flight responses... the only thing a High PE seems to me would help is with recovering from the mind throwing the body into panic mode. But since apparently no one every wrote/printed anything about HF bonuses from stats.. only penalties.. it's all up to the GM anyway.. just like most of these debates..because,this system has been "perfect" since the 80s..lol
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Lordonyx wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Actually there has been a low key debate ever since the HF save was introduced which attribute is associated with that type of saving throw.

I get the physiological response debate, except we seem to forget the mind controls those functions.. you don't have to have physical fortitude to resist fight or flight responses... the only thing a High PE seems to me would help is with recovering from the mind throwing the body into panic mode. But since apparently no one every wrote/printed anything about HF bonuses from stats.. only penalties.. it's all up to the GM anyway.. just like most of these debates..because,this system has been "perfect" since the 80s..lol

Even then the body can't recover if the mind can't. The mind puts one into the panic mode, the mind takes one out of the panic mode and it is the mind controlling the body that allows the body to start recovery.

They've changed rules since the 80s.
    --MDC changed from RT to Rifts when automatic SDC weapon fire could damage it 180 degrees from the RT blurb about how a fully automatic weapon will never do more than scratch the paint on a tank.
    --Burst and automatic fire changed from Everything into Rifts RUE where burst damage is listed per weapon instead of a multiplier on damage and expenditure of ammunition/power.
    --Magic changed (had to) with Rifts. A world with 100 x magic and somehow that only effects the damage portion of the spells. It doesn't make them 100x more in duration or 100x range or 100x more potent in strength (save vs. magic). That is Rifts only though, the other two have permeated into everything else including all the way back around into Shadow Chronicles.
    --It used to be that RT had structurally weaker equipment but did more damage and carried more missiles of larger sizes with Veritechs being able to carry 6 long range missiles while Rifts had large platforms that could only carry a single long range missile because apparently Rifts long range missiles are the size of ICBMs while a Rifts mini-missile was the size of an RT Short Range Missile and RT mini-missiles were the size of pop-cans... now with RT Shadow Chronicles Apparently (even though the missile "system" was made because and for RT1E) forgot their tech and have acquired the CS's old (lower payload) missiles... don't worry though because their MDC has gone up slightly... and they're still more agile... :nh:
    --And come one the GI Joe rule... okay I never said the changes were good.

But yes for the majority it has stayed the same.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”