How does Power Attack work?

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

iriahwhittington
Newb

How does Power Attack work?

Unread post by iriahwhittington »

Hi there, I was wondering how Power Attack works. Does it just cost the 2 Actions and then you do it or is there a delay as in it costs 1 Action and then on your second action you get to throw the Attack etc. I think Aiming works like this, ie the delay.

Also, if the delay approach is correct, how does this affect things like Dodge, Parry and Auto Dodge. Do you get to take any of these defenses or are you just winding up and have to take whatever comes your way until after your Attack is rolled?

Thanks.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Re: How does Power Attack work?

Unread post by The Beast »

AFAIK, only spell casting official has the spell go off at the end of the delay. All the other multi-attack/action moves are pretty much left to the individual GM to handle.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

https://palladiumbooks.com/images/Docum ... Eratta.pdf

search "lands"

probably a better question is: is there anything anyone else can do between the 1st and 2nd to prevent it from working

IE just step out of range
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Axelmania wrote:https://palladiumbooks.com/images/Documents/Cutting_Room_Floor/Left_Out/RUE_Eratta.pdf

search "lands"

probably a better question is: is there anything anyone else can do between the 1st and 2nd to prevent it from working

IE just step out of range

I'd go with the same rules for interrupting spellcasting. So heavy fire, taking damage, and so forth.
Ditto for interrupting Aimed/Called shots.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

I agree - I treat it like spellcasting. Also, I allow automatic actions like a parry to be carried out while winding up (or casting spells), but nothing that would cost an action, like a dodge. It might be a little generous if you think about what would realistically be possible, but is fine I think in terms of game balance. I would also say that, yes, the target could simply step back a couple of steps, or try to interrupt the wind up with an attack of their own, or do other things the take advantage of the delay. Probably best used if the target is otherwise occupied or unaware. Power punches are rubbish.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Soldier of Od wrote:I allow automatic actions like a parry to be carried out while winding up (or casting spells), but nothing that would cost an action, like a dodge.

Conceptually I would say that you should be parrying using the opposite limb that you're winding up with, so it should cause a problem for a one-armed man.

Also creates more incentive to try a Power Kick since you don't tend to parry with legs anyway... though there might've been 1 or 2 classes that did this.
Augur
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Creator of the best PBP sites online: Explorers Unlimited & Savage Rifts

Unread post by Augur »

Killer Cyborg wrote:I'd go with the same rules for interrupting spellcasting. So heavy fire, taking damage, and so forth.
Ditto for interrupting Aimed/Called shots.

This is precisely how GMs on EU have handled such since 2005. :ok:
ImageImageImage

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”