The 11th level spell Re-open Gateway

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

The 11th level spell Re-open Gateway

Unread post by darthauthor »

The spell:

Re-Open Gateway spell enables the sorcerer to "re-open" an already existing and active, or permanent, dimensional portal. The portal will automatically open to the last dimension/world location accessed from that portal.

So a group's Shifter opened a rift (through they abilities as a Shifter) and let the party made a get away.

Can another Shifter or magic caster "re-open" the Rift to pursue the group?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: The 11th level spell Re-open Gateway

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

The second Shifter/Caster can only use it if the Rifts is considered "existing and active", which is subject to some GM interpretation in how long the Rifts might be subject to the "existing and active" qualifier after it closes since nothing indicates you are using a permanent rift. I would think w/n a few minutes would be reasonable, but not much more than that.
darthauthor
Hero

Re: The 11th level spell Re-open Gateway

Unread post by darthauthor »

Thanks for the quick reply Shadow Logon,

I hoped for a chase scene. It could go both ways.

Honestly, the players are running away from the adventure because they disrespected an adult dragon. So he's not letting them leave without humiliating the back. The players are running scared and had their shifter open an excape rift.
So I thought to take the adventure to another world. I didn't want the chase to end so I had the adult dragon cast re-open gateway.
It turned into a battle ranged combat through the Rift hole while they tried to keep the Dragon from crossing over until the spell ran out.
They opened another rift and jumped away.

The angry dragon is even mader reopened the rift to go after them.

The only break I gave them was a time dilation on the world they went to so they could recover PPE. I gave them a day for every round in Rifts Earth. I just didn't want to "brake" the rules of magic on the Re-open gateway spell.
I realize adult dragons are supposed to be able to teleport but he would not know where they went. So I figured he'd have to use the Re-open spell.

While the Shifter belongs to a guild in Lazlo. The guild is supposed to put together a rescue mission in cases the Shifter does not return. The rescue team is supposed to investigate the Shifters disappearance via Remote viewing and such. Tracking the last known location of the shfiter and follow their trail or use open communication rift.

If you have any ideas, please share.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”