Rift Teleportation spell - How Does it work?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

Rift Teleportation spell - How Does it work?

Unread post by darthauthor »

Question about the Eleventh (11th) Level Rift Teleportation spell.

It says that the spell requires a Ley Line Nexus to be where it is cast at and those teleported by it appear at a different ley line nexus

So 3 question about this spell:

1. Does the Ley Line Nexus you teleport too have to be on the same ley line or can it be to any ley line nexus on Rifts Earth (or on the planet you are on) as long as your know where that nexus is (been to it before)?

2. Given you have to cast the spell at a ley line nexus, does the range and such get boosted (range and duration doubled - so 100 miles per level of caster becomes 200 miles, 20 human sized people per level capacity is boosted to 40, etc) because the caster is at a nexus?

3. Who or what can one resonable expect to find at or hanging around a ley line nexus?

Correct me if I am wrong, ley line walkers / rifters are immune to any bad effects from ley line storms and excessive exposure to ley lines. Everyone else comes to visit for its benefits, those who come to "meet" them for there own purposes (aid, beggers, kill, merchants/traders, plunder/rob, slavers, travelers, other?).

Is there a random encounter table?

Depending on the territory, if I were the CS, I would build a Forward Operating Base around a Ley Line Nexus but outside of its storm range. The purpose of the base, to set up a kill zone for artillary, sniper, and such. It's mission, destroy anything and anyone who comes to it or out of it. Justification, kill the next Xiticix Invasion (and any other Dbee/Alien/Supernatural threat) off before it enters Rifts Earth.

If you were leading the CS, wouldn't you?

Trying to build story lines for adventures who want to play CS (maybe work in the Vangaurd) or their enemies.
darthauthor
Hero

Re: Rift Teleportation spell - How Does it work?

Unread post by darthauthor »

Thanks.

That leaves me with learning/deciding where a nexus will be in relations to major powers and cities
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Rift Teleportation spell - How Does it work?

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

darthauthor wrote:1. Does the Ley Line Nexus you teleport too have to be on the same ley line or can it be to any ley line nexus on Rifts Earth (or on the planet you are on) as long as your know where that nexus is (been to it before)?

Per the description it just has to be with range of the spell, which would not require it to be on the same planet/body in general so in theory you could Rift Teleport to a Nexus on another body or in open space provided the distance is right.

For Earth you'd need to be over Level 200 to reach the Moon. Off hand I don't know the locations of any Nexus points in Orbit that are not on the Moon or similar distance near Earth (they are on Mars and elsewhere in the Solar System though). If you where on Mars, you'd only need to be Level 60. Now normally you won't see Levels this high, even among Dragons.

darkthauthor wrote:2. Given you have to cast the spell at a ley line nexus, does the range and such get boosted (range and duration doubled - so 100 miles per level of caster becomes 200 miles, 20 human sized people per level capacity is boosted to 40, etc) because the caster is at a nexus?

Given the spell can only be cast on a Nexus, I would think the performance already factors that in.

darkauthor wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, ley line walkers / rifters are immune to any bad effects from ley line storms and excessive exposure to ley lines. Everyone else comes to visit for its benefits, those who come to "meet" them for there own purposes (aid, beggers, kill, merchants/traders, plunder/rob, slavers, travelers, other?).

I don't think they are immune given they aren't called out as immune to Bolts of ley line energy (RUE pg192 #3 for Magic Discharge)..

darkauthor wrote:Depending on the territory, if I were the CS, I would build a Forward Operating Base around a Ley Line Nexus but outside of its storm range. The purpose of the base, to set up a kill zone for artillary, sniper, and such. It's mission, destroy anything and anyone who comes to it or out of it. Justification, kill the next Xiticix Invasion (and any other Dbee/Alien/Supernatural threat) off before it enters Rifts Earth.

The CS already tried something liike this at the Devil's Gate (St. Louis Archway) and per RUE (pg31-2, also true for RMB pg144) has abandoned the idea. Also see WB11's RCSG Scientist writeup that mentions construction of facilities here, though depending on how RUE's "Travel Guide" is treated in terms of accuracy (CS might have abandoned the idea again, or Tarn didn't have any "reliable" info to change the original version as RMB and RUE are set about a decade apart).

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”