Gifted One PPE and abilities(and some about Healing Shamans)

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

barna10
Hero
Comment: Started playing Palladium in 1990.

Gifted One PPE and abilities(and some about Healing Shamans)

Unread post by barna10 »

Assuming the Gifted One has Herbology....how much PPE would you give them?

Of course the RAW answer is NONE other than maybe one or two D6.

I'm leaning towards something similar to one of the other classes in the Mystic Russia (basically as Mystics): 1D6x10 + P.E.

Also, given that the RUE changed the "skill cost" for psychics, I'm removing the "other" skill penalty for Master Psionic Gifted Ones. This makes sense to me when comparing the class to others like it.

Healing Shaman get's all healing psionics (at 2nd level) and some supers and 2 minors as they level (2 minors per level), get's fetishes (and more as he levels), get's some magic, get's 3D6x10 + ME ISP, 6D6 + P.E. PPE, and starts with 28 skills.

The Gifted one can start with all Healing Psionics, 4 supers, less psionics as they level, no magic (possibly Herbology), 2D6x10 + M.E. ISP, and 19 skills.

Both these classes require 2050 XP to go to second level. I'm fine with the Gifted Ones getting Mystic Herbology, some PPE, AND some more skills.

Also, I allow substituting Mystic Herbology for the ability to get/make Fetishes. Why? Shamans are a thing in cultures around the world, not just amongst the tribes of North America. I think Mystic Herbology fits better for Shamans from other cultures. Also, I allow the player to choose spells that make sense to their character. Nature Magic for steppe-based Shamans, etc.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Re: Gifted One PPE and abilities(and some about Healing Sham

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

I'd argue the question is to what extent should a Gifted healer be able to overshadow an Herbalist or Plant Shaman at their own shtick. Woodland Druids give up a lot of PPE in order to make wands and staves, and dedicated casters with possible access to Mystic Herbology are in the 2d4x10+PE starting range. Ultimately these should just be options for one whole class, particularly since it's not like the Palladium treatment is really encapsulating different real world traditions. Consider all the different places which detail item creation; the Africa, Canada, Dinosaur Swamp, England, Mystic Russia, and Spirit West books have like ten which involve naturally available materials between them, and that's before adding things like technowizardry, soulmancy, biomancy, and multiple methods in Palladium Fantasy, among others.

A 2d6x10 ISP/1d6x10PPE healing focused potion maker ain't gonna raise hackles in many games. It's comparable more to a Mystic Knight than a Mystic, I guess.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”