Handy-man mage?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

barna10
Hero
Comment: Started playing Palladium in 1990.

Handy-man mage?

Unread post by barna10 »

Looking to make a handy-man mage. Not one that creates things, but rather one that fixes things. What are some good starting points?
taalismn
Priest

Re: Handy-man mage?

Unread post by taalismn »

The TechnoWizard because of all the technical skills. You just have to role play that the character doesn't make TW stuff, but fixes regular stuff(you can claim, for example, that you don't have the wherewithal to acquire the crystals and other components to make TW stuff).
Having the Super psionic power Telemechanics is a good thing to go with it, since it effectively gives the mage the ability to intuit the schematics of a machine.

Sadly there's damn few canon spells, especially at lower levels, that would help a mage actually fix stuff. Mend the Broken at 5th level and Restoration at 14th generally cover it all.
I'd recommend going through the Invented Spells thread on this forum for fan-made stuff that's more specific.

If you don't mind my blatant-self-promotion, my Provender Mage(https://palladiumbooks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=172737) sidelines in fixing stuff as well.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
barna10
Hero

Unread post by barna10 »

I looked at the Provender before, and I like it :)

I think the TW is a good start. I think I will beef-up the psionics 2ith Machine and Electric psionics from BTS2. I'm also looking at making certain abilities cheaper for this Mystic Fixer.

He won't start with any combat or defensive magic.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

I began looking through some books for related spells. I'd perhaps bolt them to some combination of an advanced Jury Rig ability, Telemechanics, a limited version of Conjuration, and superpowers like Item Reduction, Mechano-Link, Indestructible, Dismantle Machines, Dimensional Pocket.

Chaos Magic: (from Chaos Earth:Rise of Magic)
Magic Box
Renew (Revitalize Food) (this one being a bit of a stretch)
Reverse
Unlock

Combat Magic: (from Rifts Mercenary Adventures)
Sense Traps & Mines
Invisibility to Sensors

Invocations:
Cleanse
Create Wood
Mend the Broken
Create Steel
Restoration

Elemental Earth:
Mend Metal
Also possibly effects like Create Dirt of Clay, Clay to Lead, Clay to Stone. Clay or Stone to Iron, Metal to Clay
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Curbludgeon wrote:
Invocations:
Cleanse
Create Wood
Mend the Broken
Create Steel
Restoration

I'd add:
-Energy Bolt (recharge batteries or jump start engines, while not part of the invocation itself I would see this as an OCC specific application, sort of like how TW need an appropriate focus to cast spells or get penalized)
-Cloud of Smoke (look for leaks)
-Telekensis/Manipulate Objects/Fingers of the Wind (extra set of hands, reach something just out of reach)
-Extinguish Fire (ie a Fire Extinguisher in case you start one by accident)
-Lantern Light/Globe of Daylight (light source)
-Breathe Without Air (avoid potential toxic fumes)
-Ignite Fire
-Impervious to Fire/Energy (so you don't harm yourself working with those sources, possibly add Poison to avoid toxic substances)
-Mystic Fulcrum/Superhuman Strength (move heavy objects)
-Carpet of Adhesion (stick in place so you can't move)
-Create Water (to restock coolant, check for leaks, etc)
-Reduce Self (6") (shrink down to get into tight spots)
-Negate Mechanics (and similar for the unscrupulous Handy-man)
-Eyes of Thoth (read any warning signs)
taalismn
Priest

ShadowLogan wrote:I'd add:
-Energy Bolt (recharge batteries or jump start engines, while not part of the invocation itself I would see this as an OCC specific application, sort of like how TW need an appropriate focus to cast spells or get penalized)
-Cloud of Smoke (look for leaks)
-Telekensis/Manipulate Objects/Fingers of the Wind (extra set of hands, reach something just out of reach)
-Extinguish Fire (ie a Fire Extinguisher in case you start one by accident)
-Lantern Light/Globe of Daylight (light source)
-Breathe Without Air (avoid potential toxic fumes)
-Ignite Fire
-Impervious to Fire/Energy (so you don't harm yourself working with those sources, possibly add Poison to avoid toxic substances)
-Mystic Fulcrum/Superhuman Strength (move heavy objects)
-Carpet of Adhesion (stick in place so you can't move)
-Create Water (to restock coolant, check for leaks, etc)
-Reduce Self (6") (shrink down to get into tight spots)
-Negate Mechanics (and similar for the unscrupulous Handy-man)
-Eyes of Thoth (read any warning signs)

Impervious to Fire/Energy, as much as I'd like it, arguably counts as a 'defensive spell' that , falls outside the 'no defensive spells'(at least to start with) stipulation of the character concept.
Carpet of Adhesion is iffy, because it's arguably an offensive/combat-oriented spell. Developing a lesser version like 'Stick'um' might be worth pursuing, however.

Telekinesis, though, definitely...again, move live wires without worrying about finding something insulated and nonconductive.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Your Mileage may vary.

I took the Defensive/Offensive Spell to be ones you cast exclusively (or near universally) for combat. Ex. Call Lightning or Armor of Ithan don't seem to be ones that a Handy-Man Mage would know for maintenance purposes. Energy Bolt I included because it was involved in TW device charging for TW Batteries IIRC (or was that Blinding Flash?) so presented it as something the HMM could do using an existing spell.

Yes, Impervious to Fire/Energy has combat applications, but it also has non-combat applications (firefighting, cooking/baking w/o oven mitts, blacksmithing/working in a forge, etc) which makes it more of a Utility Spell than strictly a Combat Spell (Defensive or Offensive orientation).

Carpet of Adhesion I can agree is iffy to a large extent, but I do think it has non-combat applications that could allow it to be considered a Utility Spell. I guess the real question is how one defines weather a Spell is Utility or Offensive or Defensive in orientation. I tend to think the O/D orientation spells will discuss how much damage you can give/take, where Utility Spells don't generally do that (some exceptions exist like Animate Dead or Zombie/Golem/Mummy).
taalismn
Priest

To add some more color(and maybe some inspiration) to the deliberations here, let's consider a few names and some philosophical considerations to operate with...

If the Smoker/Combat Mage follows the Principles of Force and Resistance, the Warlock Cooperation with the Elements, the Mystic Commune with Nature, Golemancers animating the inanimate, the Provender Mage the ways of Energy to Mass/Matter Manipulation, and the Technowizard Synthesis of Magic and Technology, the Handiman Mage(Mender-Mage, Fixard, Repairian, whatever-) follows a philosophy of Mending the Pattern.

The handymage doesn't seek to create new patterns, he or she seeks to repair the perfection in an already established material or construct. To the H-Mage, when a working construct is created, a p(P)attern is created, that the 'mage can sense. It doesn't matter if the function of the device is to deliver medical radiation with laser precision or simply to make random klunking noises in the garden, that is the object's perfect Pattern, its reason for being. A damaged creation is no longer perfect and its Pattern must be set right. The H-mage senses this and uses his skills and powers to repair the pattern.

This may mean that the H-mage may be able to fix damage, but miss the reason why the damage took place. They may be able to fix a stress crack in the airframe of an aircraft, but not realize that the stress crack was caused by an insufficiently engineered airframe that transferred operational stresses to that member, causing it to fail. Unless the H-mage has the appropriate skills, the inclination to investigate further, or is otherwise convinced by others that the crack is a symptom of more severe problems, the h-mage may simply be satisfied with their fix and walk away, not realizing they've only essentially put a bandaid on a worse problem.
If convinced of the larger problem, the h-mage might be able to make MODIFICATIONS to fix the original problem, like designing, making, and installing new structural members that distribute flight stresses more evenly. The 'mage might even be able to install stress gauges and monitoring sensors to warn of future problems, because this works with the original Pattern of operational perfection. What the 'mage CANNOT or WILL NOT do is swap the aircraft's turbojets for an contra gravity drive, add missile launchers to the wings, or make the plane able to turn invisible(that's left to others to do).

That may provide a working framework for the Principles under which a Handymage may operate.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
barna10
Hero

Unread post by barna10 »

Thanks all for the input!

I'm leaning heavily towards the TW model (some psionics and spells)

The psionics list:
  • Bend Metal (machine psionics)
  • Charge Battery (machine psionics)
  • Energy Conduit (machine psionics)
  • Living Battery (machine psionics)
  • Machine Activation (machine psionics)
  • Machine Psychic Diagnosis (machine psionics)
  • Open Lock (machine psionics)
  • Psychic Repair (machine psionics)
  • Telekinesis (minor) (physical)
  • Telekinetic Lift (physical)
  • Object Read (sensitive)

I am steering clear of Telemechanics as I don't see this guys as being ONE with machines.

Spells are similar to ones mentioned above:
  • Lantern Light
  • Cleanse
  • Extinguish Fire
  • Manipulate Objects
  • Create Wood
  • Ignite Fire
  • Impervious to Fire
  • Mystic Fulcrum
  • Telekinesis
  • Electric Arc
  • Energy Disruption
  • Mend the Broken
  • Superhuman Endurance
  • Superhuman Strength
  • Create Water
  • Impervious to Energy
  • Heal Self
  • Light Blade
  • Negate Mechanics
  • Power Weapon
  • Create Steel
  • Speed Weapon
  • Iron Wood
  • Collapse
  • Create Golem
  • Mend Metal
  • Phantom
  • Heat Object / Boil Water
  • Melt Metal

Spells and Psionics like Manipulate Objects and Telekinesis, like others mentioned, seem like a good fit for when he needs a helping/second pair of hands.

In the same vein, I can see spells like Phantom and Create Golem being used for temp / permanent helpers

I included Light Blade as a way to represent a welding torch, but Melt Metal (with a vastly limited AOE) might fit that role. Electric Arc might be good for arc welding or for power devices.

Spells like Impervious to Fire / Energy, while defensive, seem to fit for the PPE (Personal Protection Equipment) idea.

Power Weapon and Speed Weapon are for power tools, sledge hammers, etc.

I am contemplating giving him the PPE channeling bits from the Mystic Knight, but I sort of like the idea of him having some psionics (ie Charge Battery and Living Battery) to help with that aspect except that the cost is way higher with the psionics.

I like this guy being a Mystic more than a trained mage. I think that makes more sense than someone spending years training to be a highly-specialized mage.

I am contemplating going a route like the Lord Magus or High Magus where he starts with a certain number of spells, gains more at 2nd level, then has all the spells by 3rd, or something like that. Maybe after 3rd he gets one more spell per level?

Also thinking of having the spells from the previous list cost him half PPE, double duration and range, but all other spells he learns cost double PPE and half duration/range unless they are purely utility / necessary for fixing things.

Lastly, this guy is not a builder. He's not going to start with any Engineering skills. He will start with Jury Rig, General Repair and Maintenance, Carpentry, Basic Electronics, and Basic Mechanics.

Thoughts?
taalismn
Priest

Okay, here's a template for the Handymage plus my notes, that people can fill in and correct/revise as they decide.

Handyman Mage(WIP)
This bad boy’s goig to follow the template of the TWizard in many respects because it IS arguably a variant TWizard, with a more ‘fixit’ attitude than ‘build it’)
O.C.C.

Prerequisites: IQ 10 or better, M.E. 12 of better
Bonuses: (If any)
Psionics:
The Handyman Mage is more heavily into psychic abiliities, almost leaning towards being a Psi-Mechanic
(Maybe use the Mystic as a template for psionic selection and gaining additional powers from the list barna10's created?

Starting ISP:
Magic Abilities:
*Principles of Repair and Utility---Handymages are all about fixing the imperfections and damage they see in existing ‘patterns’....be they in a piece of manchinery or the planned layout of a piece fo construction. Seeing how a thing is SUPPOSED to function or look like, they can use their abilities to get mechanical gears and levers properly lined up, a cracked ceiling beam mended, or electricity flowig properly through a circuit. Because they’re not really making anything new, but fixing an existing thing, their magic costs less than it normally would.
(Listed spells cost HALF their normal PPE cost)

Starting Spell Knowledge:
(Note, these spells, as cast by the Handymage, cost HALF their normal PPE cost)

Other Magic Spells:
Can choose SIX spells from the following list
(Dunno; maybe copy the Technowizard since they’re arguably a subset variant of the TWizards; non-list spells cost DOUBLE their normal cost?)

Starting PPE:
Skills:
Literacy in Native Language and Techno-Can(+10%)
Language: Native Tongue 98%
Language: Two of choice(+15%)
Radio: Basic(+10%)
Computer Operation(+5%)
Computer Programming(+5%)
Jury Rig(+15%)
General Repair and Maintenance,(+15%)
Carpentry,(+15%)
Basic Electronics(+15%)
Basic Mechanics(+15%)
Read Sensory Instruments(+10%)
Math: Basic(+20%)
Land Navigation (+5%)
Pilot: Two of choice(+5%)
W.P. Knife
W.P. Blunt
W.P. Energy Pistol or Rifle
Hand to Hand can be chosen from the OCC Related Skills ; Basic costs one ‘other’ skill, Expert two skill selections, and Martial Arts costs three ‘other’ skills.

OCC Related Skills: Select 7 ‘other skills at Level One, plus an additional 2 at levels 3,6, 9 and 12.
Communications: Any
Domestic: Any(+5%)
Electrical: Any, but will cost TWO skill selections at level one, starting out
Espionage: None
Mechanical: Any, but will cost TWO skill selections at level one, starting out
Medical: Fisr Aid only(+5%)
Military: None
Physical: Any, except Acrobatics(Handymages tend to be a lot more athletic than Technowizards)
Pilot: Any
Pilot Related: Any
Rogue: Any
Science: Any
Technical: Any
Wilderness:
Weapons Proficiencies(W.P.): Any
Secondary Skills:
Select 5, plus an additional 1 at levels 4, 8, and 12.
Experience Tables:
Use the Mystic Exp tables

Standard Equipment:
Work overall, several sets of gloves, protective eye goggles, filter mask, hardhat helmet, positionable flashlight(several), electrical testing kit, measuring tape, clipboard, paper and pencils/pens, set of tools(screwdrivers, wrenches, clamps, saws, planes, levels, hammers, pliers, nails), backpack, solder rods, a wheelbarrow's worth of wood and metal odds and ends, several rolls of duct tape. Weapons to match the WPs.
Has no problem with TechnoWizardry devices(just doesn’t make them)

Starting Money:
Last edited by taalismn on Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
barna10
Hero

Unread post by barna10 »

Like where this is going!
taalismn
Priest

Yah....I figure you don't have to be too smart or creative to fix things, as opposed to creating them from scratch. You're also likely to be rather more physically fit as a handyman.

Mentally, I see Handymages as rather less ambitious than other mages, who seek power. Even TWizards want to build cool stuff and make powerful gear. A Handymage likely started out as something of a homebody, stays around a town or neighborhood, and seeks to hang out a shingle and have a shop to fix stuff. There's not likely to be many Handymages who declare "I WILL GO OUT AND FIX THE UNIVERSE!!! NWAHAHAHA!!!" and those traveling about are either seeking employment elsewhere, on walkabout to learn new things, were displaced by war or disaster, or are attached to a team.

It's also worth taking a look at the DemiMage in Mysteries of Magic; basically a regular Joe who knows a few spells, but never made the cut for full mage. It's formatted for PFRPG, but it should be also applicable with some shoehorning to Rifts where you might have Operators who know a few cantrips, body fixers who know a few healing spells, or rogue scholars with the ability to mystically translate languages.

Hmmm...maybe dump the Computer Programming? Writing code doesn't seem to fit with the character concept and the loss can be compensated for by an added magic spell or other category skill.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
barna10
Hero

Unread post by barna10 »

The Half-Wizard has some good inspiration for this as well....but I have some issues with that class (starting another thread to address those).

For a modern setting, computer programming/operation makes sense. 90% of software development is fixing things or some sort of problem solving. I'd add Jury Rig, General Repair and Maintenance, Carpentry, Basic Electronics, and Basic Mechanics to O.C.C. skills.
taalismn
Priest

barna10 wrote:The Half-Wizard has some good inspiration for this as well....but I have some issues with that class (starting another thread to address those).

For a modern setting, computer programming/operation makes sense. 90% of software development is fixing things or some sort of problem solving. I'd add Jury Rig, General Repair and Maintenance, Carpentry, Basic Electronics, and Basic Mechanics to O.C.C. skills.

Okay, kept C-Programming and added those skills to the red-colored portions of the template above.

I think that about does it for the starting skills, unless people have other suggestions....just have to hammer out the bonuses and limitations for 'Other' skills.

Also have to set up a starting spells/psionics ABSOLUTELY HAS list, then how many from the list they can choose from, and how often they can pick new spells/psi from the approved list as they advance.

Wanna go with the Mystic EXP tables?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
barna10
Hero

Unread post by barna10 »

Definitely use Mystic XP.

It'd be hard to justify TW XP after stripping away the ability to make devices.
taalismn
Priest

barna10 wrote:Definitely use Mystic XP.

It'd be hard to justify TW XP after stripping away the ability to make devices.

Done.

Now to pare down the meta-abilities to 'must haves' and 'can select'. :D :bandit:

Figure these guys will have more PPE than the Mystic and more ability to learn spells(albeit from a limited pool) that mystics do with their intuitive ways.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Some additional spells that could be adapted for the OCC from the Space Magic (DB13 Fot3G pg112-26) that could be useful:
-Radiation Shielding (for when dealing with radioactive materials)
-Magic Tether (for when you need a rope)
-Seal Leak (temporary)
-Magic Hull Patch
-Hull Regeneration

Now technically these are for space magic, and some of them are limited to being cast in vacuum of space, as such that is why I say adapt to the new class.
taalismn
Priest

ShadowLogan wrote:Some additional spells that could be adapted for the OCC from the Space Magic (DB13 Fot3G pg112-26) that could be useful:
-Radiation Shielding (for when dealing with radioactive materials)
-Magic Tether (for when you need a rope)
-Seal Leak (temporary)
-Magic Hull Patch
-Hull Regeneration

Now technically these are for space magic, and some of them are limited to being cast in vacuum of space, as such that is why I say adapt to the new class.

Parallel development, though most mages looking to duplicate the effects of Magic Tether would probably go along the lines of Telekinesis or Levitation.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

I'm still seeing a sideline for this class in having a toolbelt in hammerspace. Maybe instead they could use a Alter Tool series of spells; the level 3 version lets pliers work as a crowbar and the like, while the level 7 lets e.g. a hammer temporally turn into a welding torch.
taalismn
Priest

Curbludgeon wrote:I'm still seeing a sideline for this class in having a toolbelt in hammerspace. Maybe instead they could use a Alter Tool series of spells; the level 3 version lets pliers work as a crowbar and the like, while the level 7 lets e.g. a hammer temporally turn into a welding torch.

Or pick up a Dimensional Pocket at level 5, expanding in size every other subsequent level.

I don't think there's a Magic Joining spell yet that would take the permanent place pf welds or nails....though I can see one developing from a scaled down version of Carpet of Adhesion.

Also a permanent version of the Water Seal Ocean Magic spell(I'd really appreciate that. because I'm currently dealing with a leaky kitchen sink problem).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
barna10
Hero

Unread post by barna10 »

taalismn wrote:
Curbludgeon wrote:I'm still seeing a sideline for this class in having a toolbelt in hammerspace. Maybe instead they could use a Alter Tool series of spells; the level 3 version lets pliers work as a crowbar and the like, while the level 7 lets e.g. a hammer temporally turn into a welding torch.

Or pick up a Dimensional Pocket at level 5, expanding in size every other subsequent level.

I don't think there's a Magic Joining spell yet that would take the permanent place pf welds or nails....though I can see one developing from a scaled down version of Carpet of Adhesion.

Also a permanent version of the Water Seal Ocean Magic spell(I'd really appreciate that. because I'm currently dealing with a leaky kitchen sink problem).

This is where I saw Melt Metal as a decent "welding spell" or Lightblade or Electric Arc as welding torches

Not sure on a permanent glue spell
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Also, maybe in terms of magical capabilities we're going about this the wrong way. As the discussion has progressed, I have to wonder if they aren't closer to a Conjurer than a Techno-Wizard in terms of casting, or perhaps some mix of the two? Skill, wise I do think it is closer to a Techno-Wizard than a Conjurer, but in terms of magical application Conjurer might be better.

taalsimn wrote:Parallel development, though most mages looking to duplicate the effects of Magic Tether would probably go along the lines of Telekinesis or Levitation.

I agree it can be parallel development, however I don't think TK or Levitation is always going to be the right spell for any situation that Magic Tether would be useful.

For example:
-Magic TK has a cost of 8 PPE for 1min per level and a range of 60ft and 60lbs of weight.
-Magic Levitation has a cost of 5 PPE for 3min per level and a range of 60ft. Weight restriction is 200lbs +20lbs per level
-Magic Manipulate Objects has a cost of 2 PPE per 5lbs for 2 min per level and 50ft+10ft per level. Weight restriction is 10lbs per level
-Magic Tether has a cost of 15PPE* for 3min per level and a range of 40ft +10ft per level. It also provides 600lbs +100lbs per level of strength.

So, for the PPE cost*, a Magic Tether will always offer greater strength (600lbs at level 1), and at later levels typically offer greater range (2 of 3 spells are fixed) and duration (x1 can match it but loses out in strength and range). It also doesn't require line of sight (which I think is implied in TK/Levitation).

Tether could also be used for any string/rope role, and not all of them can be covered by a TK/Levitation like spell. Roles that could be done better:
-move heavy object(s) up to a different level. Tether is always going to have the better capacity at the same level.
-guide to mark off area or provide a guide
-create temporary safety equipment (rope railing or safety line)

*PPE cost at 1:1 from Space Magic is 10 in the vacuum of space, or 15 in an atmosphere. So, depending how it gets adapted to Wizard Invocation (or Handy-Man Invocation), the PPE cost might be 10 or 15 or something else (Magic Net which also creates fibers cost 7PPE, it doesn't have the duration or range or strength).
barna10
Hero

Unread post by barna10 »

A variant Mage similar to a Techno-Wizard, but oriented towards fixing things, not building them.

The Tinker Mage also known as Gearmender, Handyman Mage, Trademage, Tradesman Mage, or Gearsmith.
The Tinker Mage is a rare variant of the Mystic. Their abilities are intuitive and geared toward reparing or fixing things.

Like other mystics, they possess both psychic and magical powers. Unlike other mystics, the Tinker mage does not shun technology. 

The Tinker Mage is practical and insightful regarding "things". They just make sense. Whether it's a car engine, a computer, or an ancient lock, it can be fixed or altered.

What the Tinker Mage is not is a creator of new things. While one might be able to modify your rifle, they usually do not have the skills to create a new rifle design. Also, while they can use and understand TW and Psi-Mechanic devices, they cannot design or create either.

Special Abilities of The Tinker Mage (IQ bonuses apply to all)
1) Master of Repair and Tinkering: The Tinker Mage can repair and modify just about anything. This reflected in the mage's starting skills (see below). In addition, the Tinker Mage does not suffer any penalties with unfamiliar, advanced, or alien technology.

2) Psionic Powers of the Tinker Mage: Starts with Machine Psychic Diagnosis (machine psionics), Object Read (sensitive), and Psychic Repair (machine psionics).

3) Additional Psychic Abilities: At each level, starting at level 1, pick 2 more powers from the following list:

Bend Metal (machine psionics), Charge Battery (machine psionics), Energy Conduit (machine psionics), Living Battery (machine psionics), Machine Activation (machine psionics), 
Machine Psychic Diagnosis (machine psionics), Open Lock (machine psionics), Psychic Repair (machine psionics), Telekinesis (minor) (physical), Telekinetic Lift (physical)

After all the powers from this list have been gained, the character can choose powers from the minor categories of Physical or Sensitive, or the special category of Machine Psionics (see BTS 2)

4) I.S.P. Base: Roll 1D4x10 + 10 plus the character's M.E. number to determine the base Inner Strength Points. The Tinker Mage is considered a Major psychic so he receives another 1D6+1 I.S.P. per each additional
level of experience.

5) Initial Spell Knowledge: The Tinker Mage's spell knowledge is intuitive. The mage simply cannot explain why certain things make sense, including the magic of fixing and manipulating things. Starts with 8 spells from the following list(spells for fixing and altering, all of which cost the Tinker mage 1/2 the normal P.P.E. cost):

Cleanse, Collapse, Create Golem, Create Steel, Create Water, Create Wood, Electric Arc, Energy Disruption, Extinguish Fire, Heal Self, Heat Object / Boil Water, Ignite Fire, Impervious to Energy, Impervious to Fire, Iron Wood, Lantern Light, Light Blade, Manipulate Objects, Melt Metal, Mend Metal, Mend the Broken, Mystic Fulcrum, Negate Mechanics, Phantom, Power Weapon, Speed Weapon, Superhuman Endurance, Superhuman Strength, Telekinesis

6) Learning new spells: At second level, the mage can select 8 new spells from the previous list. At third level the mage learns all of the remaining spells.

Beginning at 4th level, and at each additional level, the Tinker mage can select 2 new spells like other Mystics, limited to spells of the Tinker Mages current level or less and never higher than 6th level. If a spell is deemed to be one of repair or alteration and then the selection is limited to the Tinker Mage's current level or less (ie spells that fit the class concept can be higher than 6th level).

Like other Mystics the Tinker Mage can select from a wide variety of spell lists, but any combat spells (besides the ones listed in number 5, above) cost the Mage double the normal P.P.E. cost. Oddly, other spells (including Chaos Magic and Warlock spells) do not cost the Tinker Mage more to cast, unless they are combat spells

7) P.P.E.: Like all magic wielders, the Tinker Mage is a living battery of mystic energy. Permanent Base P.P.E.: 1d6X10 + 20 plus P.E. attribute number.

Add 2D6 P.P.E. per each additional level.

The Tinker Mage can also draw P.P.E. from ley lines (10 points per melee round), nexus points (20 points per melee round), and other peo­ple through blood sacrifice and when freely given. It's all explained in
the section entitled The Pursuit of Magic.

P.P.E. Recovery: For the Tinker Mage, spent P.P.E. recovers at a rate of five points per hour of sleep or rest. Meditation restores P.P.E. at 10 per hour of meditation and is equal to two hours of sleep when it comes to recovery from fatigue and physical rest.

8) Tinker Mage O.C.C. Bonuses: +1 to I.Q., +2 to P.S., and +1 to P.P. attributes; +1 to save vs. Magic, Possession, and Psionics at levels 1, 3, 6, 9, and 12; +2 to save vs. Horror Factor, +1 vs. Horror Factor at levels 3, 6, 9, 12, and 15; +1 to Perception at levels 1, 3, 6, 8, 10, 12, and 14; double when on a ley line.

Tinker Mage O.C.C.
Alignment: Any
Attribute Requirements: I.Q. 10, M.E. 12, and P.E. 10 or higher.
Race: Any race that can utilize both magic and psionics.

O.C.C. Skills: (Chaos Earth) Mainly common skills known to most people of Chaos Earth. Most of the character's skills have been learned on the job or while doing DIY
Speak, Read, and Write (Literacy) Native Language at 86% (typically English, Spanish, or French)
Basic Math (+10%)
Basic Electronics (+10%)
Basic Mechanics (+10%)
General Repair and Maintenance (+15%)
Jury Rig (+15%)
Physical skill of choice
Computer Operation (+15%)
Land Navigation (+5%)
Lore: Any (+10%)
Pilot: Automobile or Motorcycle (+10%)
Pilot: Vehicle of Choice (conventional: +10%)
Two Domestic skills of choice (+10%)
Two Technical skills of choice (+10%)
Hand-to-Hand Basic (can be upgraded to Expert as two other skills, Martial Arts three, or Assassin (if Anarchist or Evil) counts as four)

O.C.C. Related Skills: The people of Chaos Earth were members of an advanced civilization and culture before the ley lines erupted and Armageddon ensued. Consequently, most are highly educated with a high school education and some college or trade school type training for most adults. However, unlike other Chaos Earth characters, the Tinker Mage is usually a generalist. As a result, the Tinker Mage does not benefit from the normal "skilled professional" bonus. Select an additional eight skills from any of the available categories listed below, and 2 additional skills at levels 3, 6, 9 and 12. All new skills start at the base skill level.

NOTE: The Tinker Mage tends to pick up bits of knowledge here and there. This creates a wide range of options
Communications: Any
Domestic: Any (+10%)
Electrical: Any (+5%, +15% for repair)
Espionage: None
Mechanical: Any (+5%, +15% for Armorer/Field Armorer, Locksmith, and Repair)
Medical: First Aid only
Military: Any (+5%, +15% for Armorer/Field Armorer, Demolitions Disposal, and Trap Construction)
Physical: Any except Acrobatics, Gymnastics, Wrestling, and Boxing
Pilot: Any (+5%)
Rogue: Any
Science: Advanced Math (+15%) and Astronomy (+10%) only
Technical: Any (+10%)
W.P.: Any
Wilderness: Any

Secondary Skills: The character gets six secondary skills at level 1, and an additional Secondary skill at each level starting at level 2. These are additional areas of knowledge that do not get the advantage of the bonuses listed in parenthesis above. All new skills start at the base skill level and normal restrictions apply.

Starting Equipment: Most survivors of the initial cataclysm have only the clothes on their backs and a few items they have salvaged or scavenged. Gear includes an air filter or gas mask, worn but rugged overalls, a knit cap, work gloves, water-proof workman’s boots, three pairs of socks, goggles or sunglasses, 1D4 +1 changes of clothes, a heavy jacket or coat, belt, satchel or duffle bag, back pack, Multi-function tool or Swiss Army Knife, First Aid kit, pocket computer, 1D4 notebooks, 1D4 permanent markers, 1D4 mechanical pencils, 1D4 pens, flashlight, disposable lighter, some rope or cord (20-50 feet), canteen, 1D6 plastic water bottles.

Also has one S.D.C. weapon per weapon proficiency but does not have a vehicle or armor.

This character, perhaps more than any other, will seek out and use magical equipment.

Money: Has 1D6 x 1000 credits (which are all but worthless now) and 1D6 x 100 credits worth of tradable goods. May or may not find employment or have a job that still provides some sort of pay (room and board, food, protection, etc.).

Cybernetics: None and avoids them like the plague (cybernetics interfere with psionics and magic).

XP:
1 0,000-2,120
2 2,121-4,240
3 4,241-8,480
4 8,481 - 16,960
5 16,961-24,960
6 24,961 - 34,960
7 34,961 - 49,960
8 49,961 - 69,960
9 69,961 - 94,960
10 94,961-129,960
11 129,961 - 179,960
12 179,961 - 229,960
13 229,961 - 279,960
14 279,961 - 329,960
15 329,961 - 389,960
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

barna10 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:46 pm Looking to make a handy-man mage. Not one that creates things, but rather one that fixes things. What are some good starting points?
It is more a choice of spells and the skills selected. Yes, the TW is based in building magic items out of tech parts. But it is the skills and spells that what make a handy-mage. I know there are quite a few of fix-it and create art spells in the fan magic topic. (I should know I put a good % of them there.)
So perusing the fan magic topic might give you the spells needed to fill out a Handy-Mage's spell list.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”